*** THIS ARTICLE IS ABOUT THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE ***Although OpenSimulator encourages the development of third party software for OpenSimulator, no support can be provided on this. For help with this software, contact the developer of this software directly.
Please do not contact the OpenSimulator team with questions about this software.
This is a page which lists software packages that are related to OpenSimulator but are not part of the core project. Opensimulator is not responsible for the content referenced by these links.
These are the client programs that allow you to connect to an OpenSimulator installation and interact with it.
These are projects that take the OpenSimulator core system and add more functionality or tailor it for a specific purpose.
These can be divided into projects that provide a completely replacement for the ROBUST services backend or individual services.
- SimianGrid - A ROBUST services replacement which replaces the whole ROBUST stack with an alternative implementation based on PHP. The necessary support for SimianGrid is included in core OpenSimulator.
OpenSimulator services are architected such that an individual service (e.g. the asset service) can be replaced or added without having to change other services.
- Simple Ruby Asset Service (SRAS) - This is a replacement for the ROBUST asset service. It stores assets on disk, does compression and deduplication of identical assets. Some installation instructions are here.
- Flotsam Groups - This was the only available groups service until V2 Groups was added to core.
These are web frontends for OpenSimulator, either to allow users to register and perform other functions or for administrators to control the OpenSimulator installation (or both!).
These are region modules which can be added to the OpenSimulator core distribution to provide extra functionality.
- Chat-Logger - An OpenSimulator region module to log chat traffic. Includes visitor alerts (when logging starts, stops, or new visitors enter the region) so the logging is transparent. Developed as a tool for meetings, training sessions, or educational environments.
- EventRecordingModule - Another event recording module that can log user login, logout, movement between simulators, chat and IM events to the log or a separate database for later analysis.
- GenericMessagingModule - An example module to illustrate how an OpenSimulator extension can use the LLUDP GenericMessage packet to convey arbitrary data between a client/viewer and the simulator.
- OpenSimTide - An OpenSimulator region module which adds tides to your regions. You can control the tide period and height change via settings in OpenSim.ini and enable tide info to be chatted to the region for use in scripts in boats and waves. Tides only render properly on regions that are not adjacent, i.e. 1x1 islands.
OpenSimulator Forge Projects
OpenSimulator now has a forge for related software. However, this is now deprecated. Please host projects elsewhere (e.g. Github) and add a link to this page. The projects that remain on the forge are there for legacy purposes.
- OpenSimulator Installers
- Open Source Terrain Textures
- Open Source RAW Terrain Textures
- SL Launcher
- Open User Manual
These are old projects that no longer appear to be maintained
- oarinfo - Currently a very basic python script that prints out some OAR information (e.g. number of contained assets).
- osimctrl - A set of scripts to allow start, stop, restart, autorestart, etc. of an OpenSimulator instance from the command line using the GNU screen utility.
- Second Inventory - A Windows based client that can be used to back up and restore objects from Second Life™ as well as from various OpenSimulator based grids. It allows you to back up objects from the Second Life™ main grid, and restore them into OpenSimulator grids. It is still a bit primitive and sometimes can be flaky.
- Rake - Created as an alternative to Second Inventory, but OpenSource and free to use. Rake is meant to dump assets (textures, animations, notecards, scripts, etc...) from either Second Life™ or OpenSim to your local hard-drive.
- Ola - A very simple Python script that print out some stats given a simulator or robust service log (chiefly unique user numbers).
- OSLogView - A C# application for displaying log files with the same color coding as the console itself. Includes error highlighting and UUID highlighting.
- Osta - OpenSimulator stats analysis programs. Operates on saved stats information to produce summary and graph data of OpenSimulator session performance.
- RegionGenerator - Generates Region XML Files
- openSIMULATOR-Regions-Generator - Regions-Generator for PHP, PHP7 Ready building with/for OpenSimulator 0.9.1(inc. var regions, position) not testet 0.9.0, 0.8.x.
- A list of alternative LSL editors is at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Alternate_Editors#Notepad.2B.2B
- Terraingen - Tool for producing OpenSimulator terrains from USGS DEM files.
- Terrain.Party Web-based tool for turning terrain from a real life world map into a height map which can be imported into Opensim using "terrain load <texture_name>.png". Note that the textures require resizing, since they are exported as 1081x1081 png files
- Daylon Leveller - Tool for producing OpenSimulator terrains from from a variety of sources, and using painting-like tools and filters to create features. Uses Terragen file format.
Note that you can export and import terrain using the console in Terragen format, as well as r32. Terragen format files (.ter) can be import provided that their dimensions match that of the region, and they have no heights less than zero. See terrain save and terrain load commands.
- opensim-asset.org - show your opensim assets on your website as images.
- sl_proxy - sl_proxy is a Proxy System for Second Life™ and OpenSimulator to beyond firewall by NSL.
- DTL/NSL Money Server - This Money Server is modified version of "DTL Currency Processing" for Linux/Unix by NSL.
- Rinions - This is a real-time animation tool for Second Life™/OpenSim. Rinions sends animation data from Kinect to Viewer in real time using shared memory and over the Network by NSL.
- OpenSim Maps - Completely re-written for Google Maps API v3 from the v2 version included with OpenSimWi(Redux) and now includes support for larger regions e.g. varregions.
- Fluid Solver Wind Module by NSL
- OARConv This software converts from OAR to collada files for Unity3D by NSL.
- 3D Head Tracking Software - The idea here is that Johnny has written an application that will allow real3d perspective using a WiiMote & a modified set of safety glasses. Johnny includes all of the source and several sample applications to get this moving forward. Would someone like to pick this up and build us a real3D interface for the SL browser? It's not as hard as you think.
- Edusim on Opensim - Edusim is a Cave Automatic Virtual Environment based concept of lesson driven 3D virtual worlds on the classroom interactive whiteboard or classroom interactive surface. Currently Edusim on Opencobalt Cobalt exists but tweaking a client and making Opensim "finger friendly" would seem to be a relatively straight forward task.