Collections containing many different kinds of resources.
- Zadaroo.com: Everything from skins and animations to complete sims as OAR files.
- Giessen Opensimulator Projects: Several kind of objects mostly under CC.
This page contains information about content creation for OpenSimulator including best practices, guides, tools, examples, collaborative projects and of course Creative Commons licensed content.
Discussion group for people interested in creating content for Metaverse: Open Content for Metaverse
Some useful resources of free material:
- A great summary sheet: 3DCG for the hobbyist -- useful products and links
- A hobbyist animators blog with all kinds of goodies: cgspeed
- A source for free animations, 3d models, textures, etc.: ShareCG
- A huge 3d graphics source: Renderosity
- Runtime DNA: www.runtimedna.com Free Downloads
- Lots of free, full perm content here: LindaKellie.com
- OpenGameArt is an exceptional repository of permissively licensed content for game creation.
This is not an exhaustive list, please add to it if you can!
I have tried to include sites which have free Poser/Opensim compatible content which could be used for "personal use" in your own "world". You must check the licensing for any commercial uses.
Textures are images used to cover surfaces of 3d models and terrain. Textures can be anything form 1x1 to 1024x1024 images. Most of the textures for buildings, items and clothes are usually 512x512.
- Creating tileable textures: http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/740
- Creating and Using Shadow Maps by Robyn Huffaker
- GIMP - GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program.
- Torley Textures is a collection of over 600 textures by Torley Linden.
- CGTextures Some Great free textures (CC License)
Models are 3 dimensional objects which are formed from faces and textures. OpenSimulator supports three types of model: parametrized primitives, and sculpted primitives, and uploaded vertex mesh files.
To learn more about the model types, read the Models page.
- Learn to Make Second Life Sculpties in Blender by Robyn Huffaker
- Blender - Blender is the free open source 3D content creation suite, available for all major operating systems under the GNU General Public License.
- Wings 3d - Sculpty editor
- Qavimator - Animation for OpenSimulator avatars
Currently OpenSimulator terrains consists of heightmap and textures for different directions and heights. OpenSimulator terrain can be imported in raw terrain format from several terrain editor tools.
Additional Terrain Resources
There is now a Plugin made and available for the free program GIMP by Domino Designs which is easy to install and allows you to bring in RAW files and edit them. See http://dominodesigns.info/project/gimpterrain
GIMP is available free and downloadable at http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ GIMP is available for most Operating Systems and Platforms and is User Supported with many features and functions far beyond Terrain Editing.
REFERENCES / SUPPLEMENTAL SOURCES amd APPLICATIONS: Tweaking Tutorial: Creating OpenSimulator terrain with Blender http://www.stringofbits.net/2009/09/tutorial-creating-opensim-terrain-with.html
Some free and some non-free terrains at http://www.rexxed.com/category/terrain
Tutorial on creating terrain files with Terragen as well as using Photoshop to edit terrain files and create megaregion terrain with a library of free terrain files
Spinmass Virtual Creations, has two products for terrain making and generation which are free downloads. Look at Terrain Sculptor and Bailiwick. They are available from http://www.spinmass.com
Three easy to use Online Image Splitters
Sounds clips can be used within (scripted) objects and as part of gestures. Current OpenSimulator sound formats are PCM WAVE (.wav) 16-bit/44.1KHz/mono or stereo with a maximum length of 10.00 seconds.
- Audacity - Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
- The Freesound Project - The Freesound Project is a collaborative database of Creative Commons licensed sounds.
Music can be played via parcel media as either streamed or from a single music file.
- Jamendo - Jamendo is a community of free, legal and unlimited music published under Creative Commons licenses.