*** THIS ARTICLE IS ABOUT THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE ***Although OpenSimulator encourages the development of third party software for OpenSimulator, no support can be provided on this. For help with this software, contact the developer of this software directly.
Please do not contact the OpenSimulator team with questions about this software.
If you find a viewer which can connect to OpenSimulator then please add it to the bottom of the appropriate list.
Viewers with Grid Selector and Grid Manager
Below are viewers that have both a grid selector and a "Grid Manager". It enables you to select one of the many grids, including a grid or region on localhost (your own PC). There is also a UI interface to allow you to modify or add connection settings to these grids.
- Hippo Viewer - a fork of version 1.23 of the Linden Client with OpenSimulator specific enhancements
- Imprudence Innovative viewer with a high focus on OpenSimulator (good OSSL support). Highly popular amongst users on OSGrid.
- Firestorm viewer v3 based TPV, the successor to Phoenix. The most widely used viewer on Second Life, with the best features from Phoenix. OpenSimulator is fully supported with its own version.
- Phoenix Viewer Based on the now discontinued Emerald Viewer (which was based on the 1.23 LL viewer), one of the most popular viewers. Combines many improvements and features from different viewers. (No longer supported)
- Singularity - A V1 based viewer, with all the good stuff from v2/3 added. Supports Mesh, OSSL, LightShare, Alpha, Tattoos and Physics, multiple attachments per joint, multiple clothing layers, inventory links, etc...
- Cool VL Viewer - the oldest of all actively maintained Third Party Viewers (former name: Cool SL Viewer), fully OpenSimulator compatible. It also got support for Mesh, Alpha, Tattoos and Physics, multiple attachments per joint, multiple clothing layers, inventory links, etc...
- Lumiya viewer - A Second Life and OpenSimulator viewer for Android.
Viewers with Grid Selector Only
These viewers don't have a Grid Manager, but you can a grid from a list, including localhost. You may need to manually edit a configuration file in order to connect to grids that are not originally included.
- Kokua v2/3 based successor of Imprudence. Currently in alpha/experimental stage.
Viewers without Grid Selector
Note: After LL 3.3.4, the --loginuri parameter was removed from the official Linden viewer. There is now no simple way to use this viewer to log in to OpenSimulator.. You will need to launch this viewer with a --loginuri command line parameter to connect to OpenSimulator grids. See  for the syntax of this command, or visit the support section on the homepage of your preferred grid.
These are lightweight viewers, which either do not offer a graphical component or where the graphical component is not used by deault. The function of these viewers however is to connect to a grid, chat, manage inventory, etc. Useful on systems with low specifications or for bringing an alt online without having your main avatar log out, or to quickly take care of messages, inventory, etc.
- Radegast Metaverse Client Works with OpenSim-based grids, as well as with SL. Has Windows, MacOS and Linux versions.
- JOpenMetaverse Purely Java based OpenSim client core library. Windows, MacOS,, Linux and Android Compatible. Please see jopenmetaverse introduction
- RealXtend - a fork of the 1.23 Linden Client that has specialized features (not fully supported.)
- Idealist viewer
- 3Di viewer
- Xenki, an XBAP 3D application intended to be a browser add-on for OpenSimulator.
- Looking Glass viewer, Discontinued. Only OSGrid, ScienceSim and localhost are available from the list.
- Dolphin Viewer v3 based viewer, but v1 and v2 based versions are also available. Contains modifications which are useful for building, sailing, and for using vehicles. No longer supports OpenSimulator with new versions due to LL licensing changes and code constraints. Last version 3.3.19 that works with OpenSimulator still available.
|Based on Version|| Grid
|LightShare || Parcel
|Cool VL Viewer||v1||√||√||√||√||√||X||X||√||√|
|Looking Glass viewer||?||√||X||√||?||?||?||?||?||?|
|Second Life Viewer||v2/3||X||X||√||√||X||X||X||√||√|
|Radegast Metaverse Client||n/a||√||X|| Text client
|OpenDolphin Viewer||v1/2/3||√||X||√||√ (v2/3)||X||X||X||√||√ (v2/3)|
- #1 LightShare is a method for altering WindLight settings on a parcel or region by means of a script. See Lightshare.
- #2 The Parcel Windlight referred to here, is a Phoenix/Firestorm feature which lets parcel owners define a windlight setting which is to be applied to a user's viewer if the viewer supports it, and if the visitor has enabled that feature. See the Parcel WL article on the Phoenix wiki for more info.
- #3 RealXtend requires an additional module to be active on OpenSimulator. See ModRex.
- #4 Data based on Kokua-3.0.0-WIP , may soon be out of date!
- #5 Only source code is provided. No precompiled binaries!