Chat log from the meeting on 2026-11-03

From OpenSimulator

Jump to: navigation, search
[11:04 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: Hello, everyone.
[11:04 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: Hi Andrew
[11:04 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: You are getting good. The clocks changed and we don't seem to have lost anyone.
[11:05 AM] Ubit Umarov: some did come early just in case :)
[11:05 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: :)
[11:09 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: There were several code changes this past week. Someone got busy. Looks like PostgreSQL got a little bit of love.
[11:09 AM] Ubit Umarov: yeah did add some patches with some fixes
[11:09 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: Which version o PostgreSQL is it tested on?
[11:10 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: One of the commit messages mentioned version 12
[11:10 AM] Ubit Umarov: mantis will take a while to open
[11:10 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: which is a bit old
[11:11 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: Gavin, what is the current version number for Postgres?
[11:11 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: 19 is current or as good as
[11:11 AM] Ubit Umarov: yeap
[11:11 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: I did manage to get testing environment set back up for that, against latest versions of the dbs
[11:12 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: So we'll see what explodes soon
[11:12 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: All I did past 3 days was work over postgres connector
[11:12 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: I seem to remember someone said it does not work on version 16?
[11:12 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: I think that was fixed
[11:12 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: Something with the guid thing and type conversions being stricter
[11:12 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: so you test on version 19?
[11:13 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: That's the plan
[11:13 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: Just making the code more concise and uniform to make it easier to read so when things blow up I don't have to go through a bunch of junk first
[11:14 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: plan or do? I'm just trying to find out which version is safe to upgrade to. I currently run version 15
[11:14 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: I have not pushed the changes to the testing environment, that's planned for the end of the week, so by next week I should have some results
[11:15 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: ok, but what is the highest good version it currently runs on 😀
[11:17 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: I do not know. Last version that was being tested is now so old it doesn't get security updates anymore so effectively none is actively supported right now
[11:17 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: I'm trying to get that sorted out, but am only one humany
[11:17 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: ok, I'll stick to version 15 for now then
[11:18 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: If you want to help with this I'd appreciate testing checklists like "add user to estate ban, add another, delete first...." type things so I can just follow that makes it easier to test
[11:19 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: I have to deploy a version of the very latest code first, and if it doesn't work let Claude fix it
[11:20 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: but yes, I am very interested in getting Postgres properly running again
[11:21 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: Most of the grave issues were already in the document you sent a while ago, I already implemented most of those fixes so I would hope with the last round there isn't much left that's broken
[11:21 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: I can send you all those patches I have now if you wanna test for yourself or throw ai at it to tell me what I missed
[11:22 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: wait till I have a test installation running
[11:22 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: brb
[11:23 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: I hvave the release version running on Postgres 15, but instandalone with HG mode
[11:23 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: si it will not test all
[11:29 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: I published to builds of my viewer today. One will run as low as macOS 10.15 and the other will have to have 12.3 or higher to run
[11:30 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: I'm back.
[11:30 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: welcome back
[11:33 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: we have been fighting wit curl and http/1 pipelining which was dropped in version 7.6.4. Any plans for opensim to use http2?
[11:34 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: Maybe once dotnet 10 compat is done
[11:34 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: ok
[11:35 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: I don't think it would make that much difference to add it given the data structures that get sent over http, plus it needs support on either end as it's only compatible in one direction and not up
[11:40 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: ok, we managed to speed it up by using the system version of zlib and close a slwwe of secirity issues using the vey latest version of openssl for the rebuilt curl library
[11:48 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: What other topics do we have for today?
[11:49 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: nay news on osgrid?
[11:50 AM] Ubit Umarov: guess not.. but im not following ..
[11:50 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: I haven't heard anything new. I wonder how osgrid will look in the new year if they go ahead with wiping the databases and essentially starting over.
[11:50 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: I thought they were to close for good?
[11:52 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: That was the initial talk. Now I think they are planning on wiping out the database at the end of the year and limit, if not completely disallow, others from connecting their regions to the grid.
[11:52 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: oh, ok
[11:52 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: There is a couple of months to go before the end of the year so the situation may change between now then then.
[11:52 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: now and then.
[11:52 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: yeah
[11:54 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: A number of people have wondered whether they can't just purge the bad data from the database. The larger issue is what measures will be put in place to prevent the problem from happening again.
[11:55 AM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: Called monitoring and backups
[11:55 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: Yes.
[11:55 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: I don't have much inventory here so a(nother) DB wipe won't affect me that much.
[11:57 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: This group will need to decide where we will meet in the new year.
[11:58 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: we can meet at my place if you want
[11:59 AM] Andrew Hellershanks: Remind us where is your place.
[11:59 AM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: grid.xmir.org:8002
[11:59 AM] Ubit Umarov: think idea is not regions run by users
[11:59 AM] Ubit Umarov: is NO regions..
[12:00 PM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: I don't have any users
[12:01 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: Users can HG TP to it?
[12:02 PM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: of course
[12:02 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: Good point, Andrew
[12:02 PM] Ubit Umarov: yeap
[12:02 PM] Ubit Umarov: hg should be open
[12:02 PM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: I can make users for you all, but I only have a few test users for the viewer
[12:02 PM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: it is open except for one simulator
[12:03 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: There was one other site we used as a backup meeting location.
[12:04 PM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: Vincent had a place
[12:04 PM] Vincent.Sylvester @hg.zetaworlds.com: They are listed on the office hours page
[12:05 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Office_hours
[12:06 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: Right. That will need to be updated. We don't need to decide today. We should get the website to show where we will be meeting as of the new year those users who don't attend regularly have a chance to find us again.
[12:06 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: Many thanks for the meeting and your wonderful support. Yes, good idea
[12:07 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: We're winding up our call for proposals, but can accept a few more proposals for OSCC 2026 https://conference.opensimulator.org/call-for-proposals/
[12:07 PM] Jagga.Meridith @hg.zetaworlds.com: I have landmark to Vincent's place
[12:07 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: Yes
[12:07 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: he has a great space
[12:07 PM] Ubit Umarov: gavin also had a place :)
[12:07 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: Gavin too..have not been to Gavin's space
[12:08 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: See you next week
[12:08 PM] Ubit Umarov: have fun
[12:08 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: tc, Lyr.
[12:08 PM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: it is listen on the page, so hop over and inspect it
[12:08 PM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: listed*
[12:08 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: here, right? *grins*
[12:08 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: I'll take a copy of the LM, Jagga. I don't have it in my inventory.
[12:08 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: thanks! Sorry to be crazy busy
[12:09 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: Lyr, I'm in a similar situation.
[12:09 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: ty, Jagga.
[12:09 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: /me grins
[12:09 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: life is good
[12:09 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: see you later
[12:09 PM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: It is election circus in the US the next day or two, so that will be fun.
[12:09 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: yes it is
[12:09 PM] Gavin.Hird @grid.xmir.org:8002: see you all next week
[12:10 PM] Lyr.Lobo @cc.opensimulator.org:8002: bye *poofs and grins*
[12:10 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: There were some local elections where I am last week.
[12:11 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: We should check out the alternate meeting locations so we can decide which place will be the new meeting place and which can be the alternate.
[12:11 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: If there is nothing more for today, I will bring this meeting to a close.
[12:11 PM] Andrew Hellershanks: Thank you all for coming. See you again next week.
Personal tools
General
About This Wiki