Chat log from the meeting on 2021-07-06

From OpenSimulator

Jump to: navigation, search
[10:59] Bill Blight: I'm in Kentucky, Texas needs to come get it's weather and take it home ..
[10:59] Gavin.Hird lol
[10:59] Gavin.Hird Hi Andrew
[10:59] Bill Blight: Howdy Andrew
[10:59] Andrew Hellershanks: Hi, Gavin. Hello, Bill.
[11:00] Gavin.Hird Hi Selby
[11:00] Selby.Evans mi everyone
[11:01] Selby.Evans ki
[11:01] Selby.Evans hi
[11:01] Gavin.Hird Evening Ubit
[11:01] Ubit Umarov: hi
[11:03] Andrew Hellershanks: Hello, Selby. Hello, Ubit.
[11:03] Ubit Umarov: hi andrew
[11:03] Andrew Hellershanks: Bill, what weather issues is Texas experiencing now?
[11:04] Andrew Hellershanks: Hello, Jamie.
[11:04] Gavin.Hird Hi Jamie
[11:04] Bill Blight: No , it is super hot in kentucky , texas needs to come get it's weather and take it home ...
[11:04] Bill Blight: feels like 43C outside
[11:04] Gavin.Hird I said his weather sounded like Houston in August
[11:04] Andrew Hellershanks: Bill, I'm a lot further north. Sounds a bit like my weather. It is only a few degrees cooler here.
[11:04] Jamie.Jordan hi everybody
[11:05] Gavin.Hird 18 deg C here - typical Norwegian summer weather for July
[11:06] Ubit Umarov: you will get yr heat wave also
[11:06] Ubit Umarov: :p
[11:06] Gavin.Hird but at the very far north on the border to Russia, they had 34 dg C yesterday
[11:06] Selby.Evans Weather in Texas --Normal -- hot -- tops out im the 90's
[11:06] Gavin.Hird Hi Kayaker
[11:07] Andrew Hellershanks: Out in BC the temps there were up to almost 50C.
[11:07] Ubit Umarov: yeah 20C above normal values
[11:07] Kayaker Magic: I'll bet the temps were more reasonable on Haida Gwaii
[11:07] Gavin.Hird North-east Norway is a far east as Istanbul, so they always have very warm summers
[11:08] Andrew Hellershanks: Kayaker, probably not.
[11:08] Kayaker Magic: (Haida Gwaii is an island 50km offshore from BC, I've kayaked there a couple of times)
[11:08] Gavin.Hird they get Russian heat in summer and Siberian cold in winter
[11:09] Jamie.Jordan As selby said Texas is normal temp wise but we've had a ton of rain where I live which we needed badly
[11:10] Andrew Hellershanks: Time to get the meeting started.
[11:10] Andrew Hellershanks: There were some code changes this past week.
[11:11] Ubit Umarov: weather is a typical meeting topic :)
[11:11] Andrew Hellershanks: :)
[11:12] Ubit Umarov: ohh there code changes andrew , cool.. what about?
[11:12] Gavin.Hird they seem to work too ;-)
[11:12] Andrew Hellershanks: A couple of changes related to adding animation used by viewers. One change was to have script events per second appear as part of sim stats.
[11:13] Ubit Umarov: the animations where this week?
[11:13] Andrew Hellershanks: Added a missing texture, and a reduction in the number of calls for access by the flotsam cache code.
[11:13] Andrew Hellershanks: Ubit, one of them was.
[11:13] Andrew Hellershanks: Three days ago -> add replacement fs tpose animations
[11:13] Ubit Umarov: that was a texture
[11:14] Ubit Umarov: well ok
[11:14] Kayaker Magic: Melanie said she was going to step in on that osGetGridName issue, I don't see any changes by her in the log yet...
[11:14] Ubit Umarov: she said that? didn't seen it
[11:14] Andrew Hellershanks: Kayaker, do you know what sort of change she is planning to make?
[11:14] Ubit Umarov: she likes to hide all that information from scripts
[11:15] Andrew Hellershanks: There is also one bug fix this past week which was simply logged as "bug fix". :)
[11:15] Gavin.Hird usually it would have been oops
[11:15] Kayaker Magic: It was about where and when a region gets the grid name, Melanie didn't like how it currently works.
[11:15] Andrew Hellershanks: That bug fix is related to Flotsam cache.
[11:15] Ubit Umarov: yeah the ppor bug was having trouble on one if is 24 legs..  that fixed one a bit
[11:17] Ubit Umarov: ok...  teh animations..   think last week i spoke about the assets, mostly animations, that viewers inlcude on the packege we get when do download them
[11:17] Ubit Umarov: we did not had most of those assets, so some where added
[11:17] Andrew Hellershanks: With so many stock ones to deal with it is easy to have still missed adding one or two.
[11:18] Ubit Umarov: a beta version of FS was shipping without any of those, so they where needed for it
[11:18] Ubit Umarov: meanwhile, and because older versions Beq made that new fs also include them again
[11:19] Ubit Umarov: so again less of a problem...
[11:19] Andrew Hellershanks nods
[11:19] Ubit Umarov: ofc we should had then in grid also..
[11:20] Ubit Umarov: and not do, at least those 118 animations
[11:20] Ubit Umarov: and not?? and now!!
[11:20] Ubit Umarov: meanwhile Beq noticed a issue with animesh shadows
[11:20] Andrew Hellershanks: I just updated my copy of FS a few days ago so I now have 6.4.13  versions for each of OS and SL.
[11:21] Ubit Umarov: she was able to correlate it to our "blank" texture
[11:21] Andrew Hellershanks: ok. That explains the change related to the blank texture.
[11:21] Ubit Umarov: animesh objects with that texture did no project any shadows
[11:22] Ubit Umarov: well turns out our was encoded in grayscale
[11:22] Ubit Umarov: not RBG
[11:22] Jamie.Jordan           *•.¸'*•.¸ ★ ¸.•*´¸.•*
[11:22] Jamie.Jordan  .•*★¨`•  Aρρlɑuѕɛ  •¨`★*•.
[11:22] Jamie.Jordan      ¸.•*`¸.•*´  ★  `*•.¸`*•.¸
[11:22] Kayaker Magic: It is FS 6.14.20++ that have the animation issues.
[11:22] Ubit Umarov: that did work fine, except on the animesh render
[11:23] Ubit Umarov: so i did replace it
[11:23] Ubit Umarov: and all grids also need to
[11:23] Jamie.Jordan sorry key got stuck
[11:24] Ubit Umarov: ( not sure how many animesh objects out there do have Blank texture applied
[11:24] Ubit Umarov: the actual code change was on flotsam cache
[11:25] Ubit Umarov: there is hidden option to update the last access time on each file in cache everytime there is a read
[11:25] Kayaker Magic: I'm building animesh airplanes (to flap the control surfaces) and I might have seen that shadow issue.
[11:25] Ubit Umarov: is old days the operating systems did that.. now the don't because that is extra delay
[11:25] Ubit Umarov: in..
[11:26] Ubit Umarov: so there is the option there, hidden.. and false by default, because that is heavy...
[11:26] Ubit Umarov: the change i did was to only do the update every 15minutes or so
[11:27] Ubit Umarov: note that such update is also a ssd killer
[11:27] Andrew Hellershanks: Right. That's why (in Linux) one usually turns off updating of access time when using SSDs.
[11:27] Ubit Umarov: since ssds do have a limited number of write cycles
[11:28] Ubit Umarov: yeha but that is now not done by linux or windows, by default
[11:28] Ubit Umarov: linux does have a option to only do it ocasionaly
[11:29] Ubit Umarov: the bug fix, as a fix to a nasty bug i added doing that :p
[11:29] Andrew Hellershanks: Is updating the modify time also off by default? That's another thing that doesn't help SSD life.
[11:29] Ubit Umarov: only write time is updated i think
[11:30] Ubit Umarov: ( by linux or win )
[11:30] Ubit Umarov: wel that flotsam option should not be set
[11:30] Andrew Hellershanks: Does any one have questions related to Open Sim this week?
[11:31] Ubit Umarov: if expire is active, there is a update of that time, for all assets detected in the region
[11:31] Ubit Umarov: that should cover most cases..
[11:31] Andrew Hellershanks: ok. Thank you, Ubit.
[11:32] Ubit Umarov: i made a few changes on when the region gets some info like gridname
[11:32] Ubit Umarov: but did not commit
[11:33] Andrew Hellershanks: A region should only need to get the grid name on region start.
[11:33] Ubit Umarov: melani comment that is should done grd login is right
[11:33] Ubit Umarov: problem is that grid login is a joke
[11:34] Gavin.Hird how is it a joke?
[11:34] Ubit Umarov: there is a contact to grid when is almost all loaded
[11:34] Ubit Umarov: and it only causes shutdown if there is a overlap
[11:35] Ubit Umarov: as is is can not be used, as it should, to provide information about to the grid
[11:36] Ubit Umarov: about the grid to the region i mean
[11:36] Ubit Umarov: because when it happens, everything that needs that is already loaded
[11:36] Ubit Umarov: see ?
[11:37] Ubit Umarov: and hard to workaround that
[11:37] Andrew Hellershanks hears crickets chirping
[11:37] Andrew Hellershanks: ;)
[11:37] Ubit Umarov: because the code that talks to the grid is itself a region module
[11:37] Ubit Umarov: that is loaded at same time
[11:38] Ubit Umarov: so ..  a "joke" :p
[11:39] Bill Blight: sounds like one of those things that can't be fixed without breaking compatibility for a while
[11:39] Ubit Umarov: and change "modules" ideas a bit
[11:40] Andrew Hellershanks: If the information is only needed for scripting perhaps a region only needs to ask for the grid name once when it starts the script engine.
[11:40] Ubit Umarov: the current  "thing" or first contact to grid, happens after making the map eve
[11:40] Ubit Umarov: even
[11:41] Ubit Umarov: so... just there never was any grid login for regions
[11:41] Ubit Umarov: regions just talk to any robust part at any tume without any control
[11:41] Ubit Umarov: except possible firewall
[11:42] Ubit Umarov: Bill telling he had to leave to RL and forget to tell here..
[11:42] Gavin.Hird ok
[11:43] Andrew Hellershanks: ok
[11:44] Ubit Umarov: well to have a proper login and regioes access checks services side would mean a total remake of robust
[11:44] Ubit Umarov: well there is some Auth there
[11:45] Ubit Umarov: meanwhile i just made some code that gets some information from grid sooner
[11:46] Ubit Umarov: before the modules loading process
[11:47] Ubit Umarov: about ossl functions that expose things like gridname,  physics engine.. etc..
[11:47] Ubit Umarov: at least one dev is against that
[11:48] Ubit Umarov: ( did tolerate some exposure i made :p )
[11:48] Ubit Umarov: so what news do you bring?
[11:49] Andrew Hellershanks: I don't have any additional news items. Anyone else have any news, questions, or comments?
[11:51] Andrew Hellershanks: Nothing?
[11:52] Andrew Hellershanks: If not, we get to go out separate ways early today.
[11:52] Kayaker Magic: nice!
[11:52] Ubit Umarov: we should respect the full time
[11:52] Ubit Umarov: at least andrew  should stay till end :p
[11:52] Kayaker Magic: In case someone shows up at the last minute wth a question!
[11:52] Ubit Umarov: ofc
[11:53] Gavin.Hird I am trying to get some redering code to build....
[11:53] Gavin.Hird rendering*
[11:53] Andrew Hellershanks: If it doesn't run overtime I'm ok with staying to the top of the hour. I have another meeting at half past.
[11:53] Andrew Hellershanks: Gavin, oh, fun. You are walking on the wild side having a look at the rendering code?
[11:53] Ubit Umarov: ofc im kidding it must be andrew
[11:53] Ubit Umarov: it can be gavin...
[11:53] Ubit Umarov: :p
[11:54] Gavin.Hird walking on the wild side sorta
[11:54] Gavin.Hird applying eep rendering fixes to wl
[11:54] Gavin.Hird but they will be relevant to eep of course too
[11:54] Ubit Umarov: i would not call some as "fixes"
[11:55] Andrew Hellershanks: ok. Is that affecting the rendering engine or just shaders?
[11:55] Ubit Umarov: damm stupid black mook
[11:55] Gavin.Hird both Andrew
[11:55] Andrew Hellershanks: Gavin, ok. You are definitely on an adventure. Few people understand the rendering part of the viewer.
[11:55] Ubit Umarov: did they fixed the water lag?
[11:56] Gavin.Hird possibly Ubit
[11:56] Ubit Umarov: ok
[11:56] Gavin.Hird I have not touched water rendering much yet
[11:56] Gavin.Hird some but not all
[11:57] Ubit Umarov: i can't swimm to try to stay far from water :p
[11:57] Ubit Umarov:
[11:57] Kayaker Magic: There are animations for that Ubit
[11:59] Andrew Hellershanks: Ubit, :)
[11:59] Andrew Hellershanks: If there are no last minute items I'll wrap up todays meeting.
[12:00] Andrew Hellershanks: Thank you all for coming. See you again next week.
[12:00] Selby.Evans Bye Everyone1
Personal tools
About This Wiki