Chat log from the meeting on 2019-05-28

From OpenSimulator

Jump to: navigation, search

[11:10] Andrew.Hellershanks No sign of Kayaker at the moment. He has had a number of questions over the last few meetings.
[11:10] Royale.Mobian he had questions for bill if i remember correctly
[11:13] Andrew.Hellershanks Partly waiting to see if one or two other people are going to be joining us,
[11:14] Andrew.Hellershanks Looking at the clock, perhaps not today so we might as well get started.
[11:15] Andrew.Hellershanks Does someone have an issue or question for today?
[11:15] Andrew.Hellershanks Who wants to be first?
[11:16] Arielle.Popstar no issues i guess
[11:16] Andrew.Hellershanks That will make for a very short meeting. :)
[11:16] Andrew.Hellershanks Any news on the viewer front, Gavin?
[11:16] Ubit Umarov: apparently some prims sizes checks did start to work...
[11:17] Gavin.Hird Not so much this week
[11:17] Bernd.Steinhardt I have a brief Question
[11:17] Gavin.Hird I have been putting it trouhg its paced redoing about 14 regions
[11:17] Bernd.Steinhardt After Garvin...
[11:17] Andrew.Hellershanks Bernd, ok.
[11:17] Gavin.Hird the simulator falls over before the viewer does
[11:17] Ubit Umarov: if you have regions with large prims, make suer to check the settings on opensim.ini, or they my shrink :)
[11:18] Andrew.Hellershanks That's good, Gavin. Not so good that the sim falls over though.
[11:18] Arielle.Popstar you mean like megaprims?
[11:18] Gavin.Hird I did continuous landscaping for about 3 hours before it crashed
[11:18] Ubit Umarov: megaprims where a sl thing.. but yes more than 256m sizes
[11:19] Arielle.Popstar whats the opensim term?
[11:19] Ubit Umarov: large prims :p
[11:19] Ubit Umarov: ??
[11:19] Ubit Umarov: :)
[11:19] Andrew.Hellershanks Isn't there a problem with physical prims over 64m in size? Would they change size or is physics just disabled on prims that exceed the lmiit?
[11:19] Gavin.Hird megapirms used to be so fun if you edited them
[11:19] Royale.Mobian i think just prims as megaprims refered to prims larger then the max size
[11:20] Ubit Umarov: change into physical may also shrink prims..
[11:20] Andrew.Hellershanks That was a long time ago when you couldn't have prims more than 10m. The viewers also used to clamp the size dimensions to 10m..
[11:20] Ubit Umarov: well mega usually means 1e6 something...
[11:20] Gavin.Hird The only change to the viewer is that the macOS version now require macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
[11:20] Arielle.Popstar what happened that they are now handled differently? Is there a new opensim.ini setting?
[11:20] Ubit Umarov: no reason to use mega on prims :)
[11:21] Gavin.Hird I'll get going on the 64-bit Win version next week
[11:21] Ubit Umarov: guess on some of code revisions i made i did that work
[11:21] Andrew.Hellershanks Gavin, sounds good.
[11:21] Ubit Umarov: check on physical state change was added a few months ago really
[11:21] Gavin.Hird I also tested it in the Windows 10 May 2019 update, and it seems to be doing OK
[11:22] Arielle.Popstar so if someone upgrades their region that has such a large prim they may find it breaks?
[11:22] Ubit Umarov: check opensim.ini
[11:22] Ubit Umarov: as you are suposed 2 :p
[11:22] Ubit Umarov: and yes .. of course it happened, even to Dan lol
[11:23] Arielle.Popstar so fixing something that wasnt broke?
[11:23] Andrew.Hellershanks I was recently updating a test region. After rebuilding the latest version of master the next task is always to check for changes in the ini files.
[11:23] Bill.Blight there have always been settings in the ini for max and min size, both phys and non-phys, if they are below the size of something in a oar could cause issues
[11:23] Ubit Umarov: well it was broke, since it was suposed to work
[11:23] Ubit Umarov: well 64m for physics is still a bit high thing
[11:24] Bill.Blight but the settings have been there for ages
[11:24] Ubit Umarov: and more than 256m is also not that peacefull thing..
[11:24] Arielle.Popstar so this is only for prims over 256?
[11:24] Ubit Umarov: you don't like, but there are good reasons for limits
[11:25] Royale.Mobian only for prims over the grids set max size
[11:25] Ubit Umarov: think opensim default limits are 256m and 64m no?
[11:25] Andrew.Hellershanks For a prim over 256m you would have to change the opensim.ini
[11:25] Royale.Mobian which is default 256
[11:25] Andrew.Hellershanks Ubit, yes, those are the default limits.
[11:26] Ubit Umarov: with luck, if that happens, a restart after fixing opensim.ini may recover the prims
[11:26] Arielle.Popstar may?
[11:26] Ubit Umarov: sice those size changes do not trigger a save.. but if anything changes, then the size is saved
[11:26] Arielle.Popstar and why the limit anyway just out of curiousity?
[11:27] Ubit Umarov: bc limits are good :p
[11:27] Ubit Umarov: gezzz
[11:27] Arielle.Popstar why?
[11:27] Andrew.Hellershanks Arielle, are you often finding the need to build with a prim that has a dimension greater than 256m?
[11:28] Arielle.Popstar no Andrew but just wondering what happens when the limit is exceeded
[11:28] Misterblue Waves: there are those region surrounding terrain meshes
[11:28] Arielle.Popstar oh yes Mister
[11:28] Ubit Umarov: well its not.. the region cuts the dimension to the max
[11:28] Arielle.Popstar good point
[11:28] Gavin.Hird 256m prims was mainly used for griefing
[11:29] Ubit Umarov: yeah one of the cases i was told was a region surroding thing, well if fact a full terrain replacement
[11:29] Ubit Umarov: not that nice for physics, but well...
[11:30] Royale.Mobian i set my grids max as 128m
[11:31] Ubit Umarov: well just a warning.. this was a chenge i did not expected, size the code changes where only "cosmetic"
[11:31] Ubit Umarov: i did expect the limits where there active
[11:32] Andrew.Hellershanks Anything more on prim size limits?
[11:32] Ubit Umarov: or gess old code did allow rez on same cases..
[11:33] Andrew.Hellershanks Bernd, you have a question.
[11:33] Bernd.Steinhardt I am planning to code a small extension module to the OS land management. But to avoid double work, it would be good to know if something like this does still exists: It shall limit the land buy in a region (or estate) to the members of a specific group (and role) and limit it so a defined number of lots or square meters
[11:34] Andrew.Hellershanks I haven't run across any sort of module that would provide those features. Any one else seen anything like it?
[11:35] Arielle.Popstar if there was such a module I think Melanie has it on the old forge site
[11:35] Andrew.Hellershanks /menods
[11:35] Andrew.Hellershanks I'm not sure the old forge site is still accessible.
[11:35] Royale.Mobian seemed to lost alot with the forge site going down
[11:35] Gavin.Hird member of a specific group
[11:35] Gavin.Hird can't you do that by setting the land to a group
[11:36] Arielle.Popstar it isnt but supposedly she has all those files still
[11:36] Gavin.Hird and then use group roles to limit further?
[11:36] Andrew.Hellershanks The web archive might list what had been available.
[11:36] Ubit Umarov: unf modules are very sensitive to core code changes :(
[11:36] Andrew.Hellershanks Gavin, I was thinking the same about the group restriction part.
[11:36] Bernd.Steinhardt I think, this does not limit the land purchase
[11:37] Arielle.Popstar thought core changes werent allowed?
[11:37] Gavin.Hird maybe not .. there is a role permission buy land for group, but that is not exactly the same
[11:38] Bernd.Steinhardt Y>es Ariell, this schould not change the core code, this should be an extension
[11:38] Andrew.Hellershanks No, it isn't. I just checked and afaict you mark land for sale to anyone or a specific person.
[11:38] Andrew.Hellershanks No group setting there.
[11:38] Ubit Umarov: i meant that the API modules depend on does change a lot still
[11:38] Ubit Umarov: ( even modules format did changed )
[11:39] Bernd.Steinhardt Currently I still not know how to create an extention, but I will try to figure it out
[11:39] Ubit Umarov: ( if one goes back in past )
[11:39] Misterblue Waves: @Andrew: if you need some events added to core, make those suggestions.... I'd like to see more interfaces for modules rather than adding more to core
[11:39] Gavin.Hird it probalby also requires a viewer change to support it
[11:40] Gavin.Hird since the viewer have no concept of limiting land purchase to a group
[11:40] Andrew.Hellershanks I tried a rebuild of current master and three add on modules won't build due to some code change that has been made. I haven't determined what was changed or what needs to change in the modules to allow them to compile.
[11:40] Leighton.Marjoram Set Land Group probably does the same thing
[11:40] Leighton.Marjoram without the purchase bit
[11:40] Leighton.Marjoram or Buy I mean
[11:40] Misterblue Waves would like to streamline core by moving functionality into modules that subscribe to core events
[11:40] Ubit Umarov: well basic change is make modules compile on .net4.6
[11:40] Bernd.Steinhardt Related to the viewer: I am aware of this and for my own use I will configure it via Web interface
[11:41] Gavin.Hird meaning?
[11:41] Andrew Hellershanks: Misterblue, I would make a request if I run in to a need for something. I am not actively maintaining a grid any more so there isn't anything new I currently need.
[11:44] Andrew Hellershanks: Misterblue, we haven't seen you here in quite a while. Last I heard you got busy with RL. Any news about the physics engine?
[11:45] Misterblue Waves: haven't done anything with the physics engine other than cursed at it
[11:45] Bernd.Steinhardt @ Garvin: For the first step and as long as only I am using this feature there is no need for the configuration via viewer - tor the land buyer he/she only gets an error message it the land buy is not allowed / dnied - If later the feature would be interesting for other grids, then I should talk with viewer providers :-)
[11:45] Arielle Popstar: lots still using it
[11:46] Andrew Hellershanks: Ok, np. Too bad that doesn't effect any change in code. ;)
[11:46] Gavin.Hird ok
[11:46] Ubit Umarov: try showing a big hammer also..
[11:46] Bernd.Steinhardt Thank you for your interesting feedbacks
[11:46] Ubit Umarov: that does solve some code issues
[11:47] Ubit Umarov: ( not kidding.. once a pc was failing to boot.. as soon we placed a large hammer next to it, it did boot!!! )
[11:48] Andrew Hellershanks: Bernd, I think you may need to some external grid level tools to manage setting amount of land a person is allowed to own if different users will have different limits.
[11:48] Leighton.Marjoram technological intimidation the new "have you turned it off and on"
[11:49] Royale.Mobian ok Moss lol
[11:50] Ubit Umarov: ( you should also talk to your pc, of course )
[11:51] Andrew Hellershanks: Bernd, You have all the feedback you need for now?
[11:52] Bernd.Steinhardt Yes Andrew, thanks
[11:53] Andrew Hellershanks: 8 minutes to go. Any one else have a topic they want to slip in before we get to the top of the hour?
[11:54] Andrew Hellershanks: I know I still have some wiki page updates to finish. Some paid work with some time pressures has been keeping me busy so I haven't gotten to the last few changes.
[11:54] Arielle Popstar: the issue with the FS Quick preferences Hover height not working on the login region but working on regions i tp to
[11:55] Andrew Hellershanks: Did you have something you wanted to ask, Han? I thought I saw you typing.
[11:55] Andrew Hellershanks: Arielle, is that a question or a statement?
[11:55] Arielle Popstar: question or statement - your choice :)
[11:56] Gavin.Hird You might want to ask FS about that
[11:56] Andrew Hellershanks: Arielle, are the regions running the same versions of grid code between where it works and where it doesn't?
[11:56] Arielle Popstar: works fine in S/L so i know the answer from them
[11:57] Gavin.Hird I was under the impression OS does not support hover height
[11:57] Andrew Hellershanks: I haven't seen that setting in FS so I have never tried to change it.
[11:57] Arielle Popstar: go to quick preferences Andrew
[11:57] Ubit Umarov: things like hover height are not our business.. those are viewer mess
[11:57] Arielle Popstar: far lower right corner
[11:58] Andrew Hellershanks: I have changed the buttons that are across the bottom of my screen.
[11:58] Andrew Hellershanks: ah, ok. that is still there.
[11:58] Ubit Umarov: and on hover SL mad such a mess..
[11:58] Gavin.Hird right Ubit, and because it is supported server side in SL and not in OS have hidden all that shit in my viewer
[11:58] Arielle Popstar: well in this case there is something screwy with the way the viewer and region talk to each other
[11:58] Gavin.Hird file a FS JIRA
[11:59] Bernd.Steinhardt the laurel wreath button ;-)
[11:59] Ubit Umarov: we could at most store something.. hmm somewhere..
[11:59] Arielle Popstar: it works fine here but its because i tp'ed from Lbsa
[11:59] Arielle Popstar: if i log directly in here it doesnt work
[11:59] Ubit Umarov: when we see it stable and actually doing anything usefull
[11:59] Arielle Popstar: it is useful
[11:59] Arielle Popstar: very useful for quirky sits
[11:59] Gavin.Hird it is useful if you use a mesh avatar
[12:00] Gavin.Hird or for other attachment / sit issues
[12:00] Ubit Umarov: like the z offset they added on uploads then killed?
[12:00] Gavin.Hird not really
[12:01] Gavin.Hird there is a hover slider
[12:01] Gavin.Hird generally available
[12:01] Arielle Popstar: in appearance
[12:01] Ubit Umarov: ahh z offset is still there yes
[12:01] Arielle Popstar: but then it knocks you off the sit you might be on
[12:01] Gavin.Hird catapult seat?
[12:02] Arielle Popstar: :)
[12:02] Bill Blight: umm you can right click your avatar in FS Appearance > Hoverheight
[12:02] Arielle Popstar: see my comment above
[12:02] Bill Blight: does not knock you off your seat
[12:03] Arielle Popstar: used to but maybe changed now?
[12:03] Bill Blight: Not editing appearance, going right to the slider
[12:04] Bill Blight: Appearance > Hover Height ........... You don't have to go into the appearance editor
[12:04] Gavin.Hird There is one if you right click the avatar, but hidden in Dayturn unless in SL
[12:04] Arielle Popstar: that knocked me off my seat
[12:05] Han.Held You're trying this while you're sitting, Arielle? I just tried both ways (quick prefs and right-click-appearance->hover height) and my avi didn't budge
[12:05] Gavin.Hird wearing a mesh avatar Arielle?
[12:05] Royale.Mobian does dayturn detect if it has the caps or not or does it disable that stuff if it sees the platform is OpenSim?
[12:05] Ubit Umarov: seens a new cap was added for avatar hover
[12:06] Arielle Popstar: you have your appearance set to auto pose you Han?
[12:06] Gavin.Hird It disables when not in SL
[12:06] Royale.Mobian so by platform flag
[12:06] Gavin.Hird there is a large number of items that are
[12:06] Gavin.Hird yes
[12:07] Gavin.Hird the network manager has additional code to detect if OS or SL
[12:07] Arielle Popstar: anyway the main point is that it will work after a tp but not on the initial login region
[12:07] Royale.Mobian why not if it see's ifthe grid it logs into has the caps or not for those features?
[12:07] Gavin.Hird much of the UI XML has only_in_SL in it
[12:08] Gavin.Hird because there is not caps for everyting
[12:08] Royale.Mobian true
[12:08] Royale.Mobian but there is packets for them
[12:08] Gavin.Hird it is usually for hiding menu times, icons, whole panels, etc, etc
[12:09] Gavin.Hird some of the caps are also marked SL only in Dayturn
[12:09] Arielle Popstar: i also note the same thing happens when jumping to a new grid with ao's and hud scripts. They dont work on the first region you land on but after a tp to another region on the same grid it does
[12:09] Gavin.Hird I don't think the other viewers does that
[12:09] Royale.Mobian like which?
[12:09] Gavin.Hird which caps?
[12:09] Royale.Mobian yeah any examples?
[12:10] Gavin.Hird sure - hang on a sec, but for instance the new fried caps and offline IM caps
[12:11] Gavin.Hird
[12:11] Gavin.Hird from line 2781
[12:12] Royale.Mobian i see a cap thats listed as only on Sl that is actually in Opensim
[12:12] Gavin.Hird which is?
[12:12] Royale.Mobian LSLSyntax
[12:13] Gavin.Hird deliberately omitted,
[12:13] Gavin.Hird because I maintain the syntax file for the viewer
[12:13] Gavin.Hird I don't want to viewer to pick up the mess on every region change
[12:13] Gavin.Hird it needs a baseline anyway
[12:14] Gavin.Hird we've had a long discussion on this earlier
[12:15] Gavin.Hird it works OK in SL where you have a very uniform environment
[12:16] Gavin.Hird here every grid may have an implementation, but the viewer still needs to know what is supported in the opensim release
[12:16] Ubit Umarov: caps do have negotiation
[12:16] Ubit Umarov: no real need to filter then like htat
[12:17] Gavin.Hird well, it was more a way of reminding myself what code to get rid of then not being able to log on the SL any longer
[12:17] Ubit Umarov: when asking for caps viewer sends a list of the ones it knows, region answers with the subset of those it knowns
[12:17] Ubit Umarov: no need for that conditional they added
[12:17] Gavin.Hird so in OS it asks for a shorter list :-)
[12:18] Andrew Hellershanks: It is getting close to the half hour mark. About time to wrap up the meeting for today.
[12:20] Ubit Umarov: they did exclude LSLSyntax that we do have now bahh
[12:20] Royale.Mobian i pointed that out already
[12:21] Ubit Umarov: missed it
[12:21] Ubit Umarov: :)

Personal tools
About This Wiki