Chat log from the meeting on 2017-01-03

From OpenSimulator

Jump to: navigation, search

[11:02] Kayaker.Magic @grid.kitely.com:8002: Unable to fetch profile data at this time.
[11:02] Ubit Umarov: yeap osgrid openprofile is doing that kayaker.Magic
[11:03] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Here we are again for the first meeting of a new year.
[11:04] Ubit Umarov: Ohh we changed year?
[11:04] Kayaker.Magic @grid.kitely.com:8002: I can't believe another week has passed already.
[11:04] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: I hope you all enjoyed the Christmas holidays and the new years celebrations.
[11:04] Sheera Khan: Happy new year everyone :-)
[11:04] Kayaker.Magic @grid.kitely.com:8002: I can't believe another year has passed alredy.
[11:04] James.atLLOUD @hg.osgrid.org: Happy 2017
[11:04] Ubit Umarov: happy 2017
[11:09] Ubit Umarov: so.. many opensim crashs?
[11:10] Kayaker.Magic @grid.kitely.com:8002: <silence>
[11:11] Selby.Evans @grid.kitely.com:8002: I have had so few crashes I dont remember the last one.
[11:11] Sheera Khan: no, not so many ... but I had a "clever" user who rezzed a huge item on the sandbox and moved it into a neighbour region which had object entry enabled, thereby circumventing the autoreturn and management access of the sandbox managers ...
[11:11] Ubit Umarov: well a few crashs is just normal opensim ;)
[11:12] Selby.Evans @grid.kitely.com:8002: Oh -- yes -- on a HG safari -- a couple of weeks ago -- overloaded sim.
[11:12] Ubit Umarov: well if parcel had permissions that was a legal move sheera.Khan
[11:12] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: This region used to crash now and then but its been pretty stable during most of these meetings in the last few months.
[11:13] Ubit Umarov: HG ppl should be carefull about target region
[11:13] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Development on OpenSim picked up a little this past week even though it was a holiday time for most people.
[11:13] Ubit Umarov: sending a dozen ppl to a region that does not have bandwith will not work
[11:14] Ubit Umarov: ( and a dozem ppl wit 1024m view range... )
[11:14] Selby.Evans @grid.kitely.com:8002: What development news, Andrew?
[11:14] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: I'm just looking over the list.
[11:15] Ubit Umarov: ( this earthquake was just robert landing )
[11:15] James.atLLOUD @hg.osgrid.org: 21 items in the Git shortlog - very busy.
[11:15] Robert Adams: have to test physics, don't I? ;-)
[11:15] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Some garbage collection issues, some changes to Flotsam cache handling, improvement to avatar walk in mouse look mode
[11:15] Ubit Umarov: :)
[11:16] Sheera Khan: with all the development happening in 0.9.1, is there some release date for 0.9.0 in sight?
[11:16] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: and some HG related changes
[11:16] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Yes, a release is in sight but no specific date has been set.
[11:16] Sheera Khan: or will 0.9.0 be silently skipped?
[11:17] Ubit Umarov: the release will be from 0.91 code
[11:17] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: well, you know what they say about .0 releases. ;)
[11:17] Ubit Umarov: if named 0.9 or not no idea :)
[11:18] Ubit Umarov: actually will be current dev master plus a few changes we are waiting for
[11:19] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: There are some bugs and regressions listed on a wiki page reltaed to 0.9 and most of those have been dealt with. The number of issues holding up a release of 0.9 has gotten very short.
[11:20] Ubit Umarov: ( andrew we do not have regressions grrrr )
[11:20] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Ubit, hey, I didn't write that wiki page. That was the heading used for some of the issues.
[11:21] Ubit Umarov: ( you do love the word regression :p )
[11:21] Sheera Khan: we don't have regressions, we only make progress - sometimes in the wrong direction though^^
[11:22] Sheera Khan: but tbh 0.9.1 runs mostly well :-)
[11:22] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: We don't have bugs. Just some features that are sub-optimal.
[11:22] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: :)
[11:23] Ubit Umarov: :)
[11:23] Ubit Umarov: hmm who did that page?
[11:23] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Let me check...
[11:23] Ubit Umarov: some of those things are not on mantis ( or i missed them? )
[11:23] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Diva started the page
[11:24] Ubit Umarov: hmm what is (WIP) ?
[11:24] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Three entries are marked as WIP. One of the items I'm going to test and see if it is still an issue or not.
[11:24] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Work In Progress.
[11:25] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: To clarify, I'm going to be testing an item that is not marked as WIP
[11:26] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: The wiki page can be found at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.9_Bug_List in case any of you want to have a look at any of the items on the page that are not crossed out.
[11:27] Robert Adams: one major hangup for release is making sure permissions are done correctly... that should be fixed soon
[11:27] Ubit Umarov: Kcozens (Talk | contribs)‎ m . . (+102)‎ . . (Added the report about increased CPU) <-- who is this ?
[11:27] Ubit Umarov: :p
[11:28] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: There are a couple of other items on the TODO list for 0.9 apart from the items on the wiki
[11:28] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Ubit, Gee, I wonder who that is. :)
[11:28] Ubit Umarov: ufff tons of issues
[11:29] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: not tons as most of the issues on the page have been crossed off. I only see three or four ones that might still be important for an upcoming release.
[11:29] Robert Adams: there will always be something to fix :)
[11:29] Ubit Umarov: tons of issues not on the page
[11:29] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Robert, true.
[11:30] Ubit Umarov looks to Robert and thinks rays....
[11:30] Ubit Umarov: :p
[11:30] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Robert, any outstanding physics issues that you feel should be fixed before a release?
[11:30] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: I would have expected Kayaker to be looking at Robert and thinking about rays.
[11:31] Ubit Umarov: err better not change physics much bf a release
[11:31] Kayaker.Magic @grid.kitely.com:8002: I'm thinking but I have been too tied up during the holidaze to do more testing.
[11:31] Robert Adams: raycasting is a deficiency but shouldn't hold up release
[11:32] Sheera Khan: would there be hope for a persistent mute entry before release? Mel was thinking about some code she could donate maybe...
[11:32] Ubit Umarov: yeap release should not wait for any physics changes ( unless a simple bug fix )
[11:32] Ubit Umarov: and rays is not that simple i guess
[11:32] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Sheera, it is possible but I wouldn't count on it.
[11:32] Sheera Khan: the hope dies last ^^
[11:32] Ubit Umarov: use "mind" mute :p
[11:33] Ubit Umarov: never mut yr enemies.. always listen to them :)
[11:34] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: I have a set of scripts for a touring balloon and other scripts for a train system. I haven't had time to try them out recently with BulletSim to see if the scripts will work properly.
[11:34] Robert Adams: do you have my email, Andrew? I'd like to hear the results
[11:35] Robert Adams sent PM
[11:35] Ubit Umarov: ( robert you are in the mood for scripts debug? ;) )
[11:36] Ubit Umarov: ( words andrew and script on same phrase == script debug :p )
[11:36] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Robert, One set of scripts are from SL, IIRC. The other is from an older version of OpenSim. I haven't done a lot of scripting where physics is concerned so I'm not sure if the scripts need to be updated to accommodate changes in the physics engine.
[11:37] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Ubit, those two script systems will be next on my todo list along with a fireworks launcher.
[11:37] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: I just completed the updates to a texture viewer I've been working on. I just need to complete the testing.
[11:37] Ubit Umarov: outch.. i do have bad memories of a fireworks system
[11:37] Robert Adams: it is nice to have test cases.... a test suite would be best
[11:37] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org nods
[11:38] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: For my fireworks launcher I see something odd.
[11:38] Robert Adams: but then one usually gets in the middle of which version should work (SL, or old OS, or new OS, or the Right Way, ..)
[11:38] Ubit Umarov: ( man you are using bullet.. of course it is odd )
[11:38] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: First launch the object doesn't go up in the air as much as it does on the launches after the first one.
[11:38] Ubit Umarov: hmm
[11:39] Ubit Umarov shuts up before beeing kicked by andrew amd robert
[11:39] Ubit Umarov: ;)
[11:39] Robert Adams: I have that on my list, Andrew... I have the picture and your code
[11:39] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Ubit, careful. Robert might smack you. Good thing you are on the opposite side of the couch.
[11:39] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: Robert, ok.
[11:39] Ubit Umarov: ( yeah was thinking that Andrew  ;) )
[11:40] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: The touring balloon doesn't even leave the ground.
[11:40] Ubit Umarov: ( but local tps are fast.. and he could land on top of me.. )
[11:40] Andrew.Hellershanks @hg.osgrid.org: It tries but barely moves.
[11:40] Simulator Version v0.5 ruft: OpenSim 0.9.1.0 Dev 7abb047: 2016-12-31 08:58:06 -0800 (Unix/Mono)
[11:40] Ubit Umarov: Andrew you should fill it with helium or hydrogen, not CO2
[11:41] Kayaker.Magic @grid.kitely.com:8002: hot CO2
[11:41] Ubit Umarov: yeap very hot co2 might work
[11:41] Andrew Hellershanks: The engine of the train system moves for a while then stops. I haven't done a lot of testing to determine why. I'm in the middle of redoing the track system so I'll hold off on more testing of the train system until I've replaced the track.
[11:42] Andrew Hellershanks: hehe... or stop using lead for the balloon.
[11:42] Ubit Umarov: did you forgot the power line ?
[11:42] Andrew Hellershanks: Although Mythbusters were able to make a lead balloon work.
[11:42] Andrew Hellershanks: Ubit, :) not that type of train. More steam train than electric one.
[11:43] Ubit Umarov: ohh ok.. then try to fill its water tank ? :p
[11:43] Robert Adams: ubit, you have a version of HACD in ubODE?
[11:43] Ubit Umarov: no
[11:43] Andrew Hellershanks: I may need to replace the fireman on the train. :)
[11:44] Ubit Umarov: that is why i cheat on sculpts convex hulls
[11:44] Ubit Umarov: well and only do it on very simple prims
[11:44] Andrew Hellershanks: Oh. I was recently told how to locate bad mesh objects using the grid map.
[11:45] Ubit Umarov: ( recent code on ubOde... fill hollow if convex selected )
[11:46] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: @Andrew: How do you locate bad meshes on the map?
[11:46] Andrew Hellershanks: Bad mesh objects show up on the map as a rectangular prim with one side missing and the texture is all white. Where the side is missing the sides end in a point. IIRC, it is like a cut of 0.25
[11:46] Ubit Umarov: ( i did consider piggy back on bullet HACD but that whould be odd :p )
[11:47] Andrew Hellershanks: That helps you locate a region with bad mesh. It may still be a bit of a problem in finding the actual item within the region.
[11:47] Andrew Hellershanks: HACD?
[11:47] Ubit Umarov: yes Andrew men talk forget it :p
[11:47] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: ty Andrew :-)
[11:47] Andrew Hellershanks: You are talking physics. I don't think I want to know. :)
[11:48] Robert Adams: an algorithm to convert meshes to a set of convex hulls which are better for physics collision calculation
[11:48] Ubit Umarov: hmm for same physics engines
[11:48] Andrew Hellershanks: ok. I was right. I don't really want to know. :)
[11:48] Ubit Umarov: :)
[11:49] Ubit Umarov: ODE does not care about convex ( but also likes the reduced mesh of a convex hull )
[11:49] Andrew Hellershanks: With a release of 0.9 now within sight I need to spend some more time completing the summary of the changes.
[11:49] Ubit Umarov: good luck on that :)
[11:50] Andrew Hellershanks: hehe, yeah. A little under 2,000 lines still to go. After that I have to make a list of all the changes since the change list I'm currently working on was made.
[11:50] Andrew Hellershanks: Once I have that list, I have to go throught it as well. I'm hoping it will be a lot shorter.
[11:50] Ubit Umarov: btw on viewers it seems recent hacd is not that good
[11:51] Ubit Umarov: humiliation is one of the bento test avatars total fail on FS
[11:51] Ubit Umarov: humiliation?
[11:51] Andrew Hellershanks: Ubit, Is that an autocorrect fail?
[11:51] Ubit Umarov: :p
[11:52] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: Only the upload of the angel-avatar failed..
[11:52] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: I was able to upload it with singu though
[11:52] Ubit Umarov: this thing
[11:53] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: I just wasn't pleased with the aestetics though^^
[11:53] Ubit Umarov: does upload on singu.. fails on FS doing the convex hull ( at sl also)
[11:53] Andrew Hellershanks: Sheera, if the update worked with Sing that indicates the problem is with the other viewers you tried.
[11:53] Ubit Umarov: but of course singu does not have the armature for bento.. so.. a fail
[11:54] Andrew Hellershanks: hm... Upload it with sing then switch to fs 5 to test it
[11:54] Ubit Umarov: we did it here last week
[11:54] Ubit Umarov: i do not want to submit my avatar to such thing again ;)
[11:55] Andrew Hellershanks: hehe
[11:55] Andrew Hellershanks: I take it the tests did not go too well
[11:55] Ubit Umarov: no bones.. wrong dimensions
[11:55] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: as long as you don't try to move the new Bento bones everything worked just fine
[11:55] Ubit Umarov: guess worse than seen on a non bento viewer
[11:56] Andrew Hellershanks: I wonder if Sing stripped out the parts of the avatar it didn't understand
[11:56] Ubit Umarov: nah it does not work sheera.Khan
[11:56] Ubit Umarov: remember my look here last week?
[11:56] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: just a moment ...
[11:56] Ubit Umarov: errr or the week before?
[11:56] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: I'm calling my sissy^^
[11:58] Ubit Umarov: i do have snapshots of my avatar after
[11:58] Ubit Umarov: ohh taken by sheera.Khan
[11:58] Ubit Umarov: :)
[11:59] Sheera.Khan @metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002: that's what I could get from the testavatar
[11:59] Andrew Hellershanks: That's an interesting look for you, Ubit. :)
[11:59] Ubit Umarov: also other meshs that did work ok, now fail to upload on fs5.0
[11:59] Ubit Umarov: it gets lost doing the convex hull
[11:59] Ubit Umarov: ohh
[11:59] Ubit Umarov: wrong offset
[11:59] Andrew Hellershanks: I seem to often hear about problem with convex hulls
[12:00] Ubit Umarov: hmm but woring a lot better
[12:00] Ubit Umarov: that was a singu upload sheera.Khan?
[12:00] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: yes that's Singularity
[12:01] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: for the upload that is
[12:01] Ubit Umarov: ohh why did mine not work then ?
[12:01] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: now I'm using it with FS5
[12:01] Andrew Hellershanks: grr... I'm in Sing so I can't see that avatar properly
[12:01] Alya VonZ: only bothered with convex hull in sl, here I don't even think about it
[12:01] Ubit Umarov: convex hull is always present alya
[12:02] Ubit Umarov: if viewers fail on it, upload fails
[12:02] Ubit Umarov: ppl without fs 5.0
[12:02] Ubit Umarov: how do you see sheera.Khans sister?
[12:03] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: I see her just fine ^^
[12:03] Alya VonZ: hm, seem to miss a few parts
[12:03] Ubit Umarov: i said without fs 5,0 :p
[12:03] Alya VonZ: I use Sing
[12:03] Ubit Umarov: older viewers see monsters on bento avatars
[12:03] James atLLOUD: I'm in FS 4.7.9 and I see wings at her hips and tail is bent out through her left thigh.
[12:04] Ubit Umarov: hands distorted.. holes in face
[12:04] Ubit Umarov: eyes hold by odd things
[12:05] Ubit Umarov: all the new things for bento do odd effects on old viewers
[12:05] Andrew Hellershanks: I'll brb. I'm going to switch to fs5
[12:05] Ubit Umarov: ok folks..
[12:05] Ubit Umarov: Andrew will be back tomorrow or so :p
[12:06] Ubit Umarov: ( ohh he is back already ;) )
[12:07] Andrew Hellershanks: Doesn't take too long for me to switch viewers
[12:07] Andrew Hellershanks: I don't see all the parts of Sheera's sister.
[12:07] Ubit Umarov: do wireframe
[12:07] Andrew Hellershanks: May be just a delay in loading the avatar bits at my end.
[12:08] Ubit Umarov: but bento meshs do take time
[12:08] Ubit Umarov: seem faces take a lot longer to rez at sl
[12:08] Andrew Hellershanks: The avatar rezzed in now.
[12:09] Sheera.Khan @metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002: the meshes are rather huge...
[12:09] Andrew Hellershanks: A bit of the skin by the waist is missing (showing as transparent). Looks fine other than that.
[12:09] Sheera.Khan @metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002: and the textures are adding up too
[12:09] Sheera.Khan @metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002: jeah, I just realized the shirt is missing too^^
[12:10] Robert Adams: yes... more than a bare midriff
[12:10] George Equus: Is a set of teeth and lips in the belly area...
[12:10] Sheera.Khan @metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002: I see myself fully dressed and the gap is due to an alpha texture
[12:11] Ubit Umarov: yeap belt area is transparent
[12:11] Andrew Hellershanks: The upper and lower half of the body look like independent parts to me. :)
[12:11] Sheera.Khan @metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002: but I can see the Bento avatar usable here even though it was uploaded using Singu
[12:11] Andrew Hellershanks: looks good
[12:12] Sheera.Khan @metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002: I didn't animate the new bones though
[12:12] Ubit Umarov: well i would expect singu to not upload all bento data
[12:12] Sheera.Khan @metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002: so do I
[12:13] Sheera.Khan @metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002: it was just a test for the discussion with FS devs^^
[12:13] Ubit Umarov: well this bc i said HACD used by fs does seem worse than the one used by singu
[12:14] Robert Adams: can you change your display name in FS?
[12:14] George Equus: Pretty weird Sheera... using FS 4.7.9
[12:15] Ubit Umarov: well SL havoc also fails with this mesh, if a LOD is selected for physics
[12:15] Ubit Umarov: but we do not suport display names
[12:15] Andrew Hellershanks: It is about that time as the hour has come and gone
[12:16] Andrew Hellershanks: Anything else for this week?
[12:16] Ubit Umarov: ( on your profile, you can change the name Robert )
[12:17] Robert Adams: I pushed the 'edit' thingy in my profile and get a dialog but it won't let me type anything into the text boxes
[12:17] Alya VonZ: I might drop in more often, don't know *&^^, but I am a curious one;)
[12:17] Ubit Umarov: it does have a time control limit
[12:17] Andrew Hellershanks: Alya, everyone is welcome to attend.
[12:17] Alya VonZ: :) thanks
[12:17] Robert Adams: you presence is appreciated, Alya
[12:17] Ubit Umarov: Yess see the error Robert
[12:18] Ubit Umarov: on light red or orange.. see it?
[12:18] Ubit Umarov: 3rd line or so
[12:18] Ubit Umarov: i can only change my on jan 11
[12:19] Robert Adams: very light on mine :) .... can't change for another two weeks??
[12:19] Ubit Umarov: ( this cames from data we do send back )
[12:19] Robert Adams: wonder what that's all about
[12:19] Ubit Umarov: guess we do send a moving time Robert :)
[12:19] Ubit Umarov: always in future
[12:19] Ubit Umarov: since we don't have those names
[12:20] Robert Adams: ya... probably another protocol field that we don't set correctly
[12:20] Ubit Umarov: nahh we do set correctly :)
[12:20] Robert Adams: ah... the problem with having multiples :)
[12:20] Ubit Umarov: we don't have names.. so we block so viewers do not bother us
[12:21] Robert Adams: maybe I'll just have my name changed in the database :)
[12:21] Ubit Umarov: or let me know i can add if(firstName == "Robert"...  :p
[12:21] Ubit Umarov: on core :p
[12:21] Andrew Hellershanks: hehe
[12:22] Ubit Umarov: display names where a bad ll idea imo
[12:22] Andrew Hellershanks: indeed
[12:23] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: as bad as they may be but they are widely accepted by the users
[12:23] Andrew Hellershanks: Ive seen people with display names that would be pretty much impossible to type
[12:23] Ubit Umarov: yeap
[12:23] Ubit Umarov: or even read :)
[12:23] Andrew Hellershanks: that too
[12:23] Andrew Hellershanks: I wonder if people using display names remember their regular name if someone tried to talk with them.
[12:23] Andrew Hellershanks: In SL I have the viewer set to not show display names.
[12:24] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: I sure do
[12:24] Alya VonZ: lol, I find them handy, not my own but those of others
[12:24] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002 uses a display name in SL
[12:24] Andrew Hellershanks: I hope it is one that can easily be typed
[12:24] Ubit Umarov: we could hide the @grid on the display name
[12:24] Andrew Hellershanks: That must confuse some people. Two people talking to the same avatar using different names for the avatar.
[12:25] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: my display name over there is: Sheera Khan ^^
[12:25] Ubit Umarov: since the damm thing never works right
[12:25] Ubit Umarov: hmm mb then we could force a shorter timeout?
[12:25] Ubit Umarov: yeachh no idea
[12:26] Ubit Umarov: jsut been at SL with name ...UMAU43 was a odd thing to see
[12:26] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: UMAU43 is our display name here^^
[12:27] George Equus: Display name... hmmm my name is George Equus and that is what name tag say.. what would be the advantage of a "Display Name"??
[12:27] George Equus: Some SL idea?
[12:27] Ubit Umarov: at SL you can define another name George
[12:27] Ubit Umarov: and change it time to time
[12:27] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: In SL you hadn't had the benefit of freely creating your name
[12:27] George Equus: Apparently so.. but to what end?
[12:28] Ubit Umarov: ask LL
[12:28] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: You only had a limited choice of names
[12:28] Andrew Hellershanks: I don't really see the advantage of display names. It is just a way to change your name to something that you couldn't have chosen when the avatar was first created without actually changing the name on the account.
[12:29] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: well, not really Andrew - at least not in SL
[12:29] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: here you can...
[12:29] George Equus: Ahhh think I remeber,,, that pesky Blabla Resident naming convention
[12:29] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: but over there you have a surname of resident
[12:29] George Equus: No first last name
[12:29] Andrew Hellershanks: Sheera: ? SL used to be limited in name choices.
[12:30] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: yes... and that's why display names are well accepted over at SL
[12:30] George Equus: I am Equus54 in SL, no Resident even...
[12:30] George Equus: Just Equus54
[12:30] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: the Resident isn't shown in most cases
[12:30] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: but it is there
[12:30] Andrew Hellershanks: yes, My avatar name in SL was chosen back when there was only a few choices for last name. I don't have Resident in my avatar name or account.
[12:31] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: you see it when you win at a MM board i.e.
[12:31] George Equus: Was a long time 5+ years since was in on a regular basis, suppose a lot changed there over the years...
[12:32] George Equus: Pretty boring place to me at least SL
[12:32] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: I've got an old name too ;-) so no resident for me either ^^
[12:32] Andrew Hellershanks: George, a lot has changed in the (8+?) years since I first joined SL.
[12:32] George Equus: Can imagine
[12:33] George Equus: Everyone I ever knew in SL all gone now
[12:33] Andrew Hellershanks: I had to login to SL just now to see if it was 8 year. Yup. almost exactly 8 years since I joined SL.
[12:34] Andrew Hellershanks: There are still people I know in SL but I'm not in SL that often. A lot of places I had LM'ed are gone.
[12:34] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: the need for Display names in OS is not that high... Here we can easily create a new avatar with the desired name. But in SL quite a lot of inventory is non trans - so you would lose it
[12:35] Andrew Hellershanks: You would have a fight to get Display Names supported in OS.
[12:35] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: (would be a good way to clear up the inventory though)
[12:35] George Equus: Only reason I keep account is to retain the inventory for possible extractions one day, got some stuff I'd love to bring over... managed a few things but that inventory is huge...
[12:36] George Equus: No "display names" here please... seem utterly pointless
[12:36] Andrew Hellershanks: George, I know.
[12:36] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: @ Andrew: I don't want to fight for Display Names in OS... I just tried to explain why they are well accepted in SL and very helpful over there
[12:37] Andrew Hellershanks: Sheera, np. They are welcome to them over there. :
[12:37] George Equus: and would add to complexity in code?
[12:37] Andrew Hellershanks: :)
[12:38] George Equus: Sheera, I understand reason now. Initially a LL error...
[12:38] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: hihihi
[12:38] Andrew Hellershanks: It might not, George, but I would have to think of how it might impact the code.
[12:38] George Equus: Best forget the whole thing ASAP then  :))
[12:38] Andrew Hellershanks: yup
[12:39] Andrew Hellershanks: I don't think any of the core developers has shown any interest in wanting to work on Display Names.
[12:39] Ubit Umarov: a few core devs would veto display names as sl
[12:40] Ubit Umarov: well 2 at least :)
[12:40] Andrew Hellershanks: hm... I just noticed I got an "unable to display profile at this time" when I logged in here with FS 5. :P
[12:40] Ubit Umarov: also fails with others
[12:40] Simulator Version v0.5 ruft: OpenSim 0.9.1.0 Dev 7abb047: 2016-12-31 08:58:06 -0800 (Unix/Mono)
[12:40] Andrew Hellershanks: Ubit, probably at least 3
[12:41] Ubit Umarov: openprofile problem i guess
[12:41] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: Which profile did you open Andrew? I can open yours fine
[12:41] Ubit Umarov: it is asking for yours sh
[12:41] Andrew Hellershanks: Sheera, no idea which one it was talking about.
[12:42] Ubit Umarov: openprofile is not doing hg profiles
[12:42] Andrew Hellershanks: I've been meaning to look at the addon profile module and see if I need to make any changes to it for it to work with avatars coming in via HG.
[12:43] George Equus: Profiles are fine only for "locals" for me
[12:43] Ubit Umarov: yeap local are fine
[12:43] Ubit Umarov: but HG.. not really
[12:43] Andrew Hellershanks: its on my ToDo list.
[12:44] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: I can see both sorts of profiles
[12:44] Andrew Hellershanks: or more accurately, it is buried in my todo list.
[12:44] Sheera.Khan @hypergrid.org:8002: maybe bc my home grid uses the core module?
[12:44] Andrew Hellershanks: Perhaps it knows how to get your own and everyone else here are local accounts.

Personal tools
About This Wiki