Chat log from the meeting on 2008-04-08

From OpenSimulator

Jump to: navigation, search

Seg Baphomet: I'm impressed they got LSL working.
[10:51] Seg Baphomet: I've got plenty of scripts to try...
[10:52] Angelo Biondi: hi Charles
[10:52] Ken West: how far south are ur sims from Wright Plaza Hiro?
[10:52] Hiro Protagonist: well, it isnt fully working
[10:52] You: Morning
[10:52] Hiro Protagonist: HEya Charles :D
[10:52] Angelo Biondi: evening....
[10:52] Ken West: Hi Charles
[10:52] Ken West: hi angelo
[10:52] Hiro Protagonist: Charles is the lead OSGrid operator :)
[10:52] Seg Baphomet: Do particle systems work? I don't think I've seen any...
[10:52] You: Seg. Look at the particle system coming out the top of the fountain.
[10:52] Ken West: Charles, I love this webpage over here, did you script this?
[10:53] You: Tx Oh did that.
[10:53] Angelo Biondi: Charles, the UpdateItem code doesn't work on sqllite
[10:53] Seg Baphomet: Ah, so it is. :)
[10:53] Angelo Biondi: i'm rewriting it
[10:53] Angelo Biondi: does it work for mysql or is the same?
[10:53] You: We try to have one of every significant script running here so we can see that they work every day.
[10:53] Angelo Biondi: so i can know if i should look also there
[10:53] Ken West: hehe, is the script on the webpage prim available some where if we want to try the script on our sim?
[10:55] You: Certainly. It is on the It runs the http_response through to create the picture.
[10:55] Seg Baphomet: Lets see if I can open another client...
[10:55] Ken West: awesome, i will check it out. thank you Charles
[10:56] You: We will probably have a few more avatars in 5 minutes as "Office Hour" should start shortly.
[10:57] Angelo Biondi: btw the performances were improved
[10:57] Angelo Biondi: the same restore that crashed the sim now works without problems
[10:58] tx Oh: hi
[10:58] Angelo Biondi: hi tx
[10:59] Angelo Biondi: hi justin
[10:59] You: Morning, Justin
[11:00] You: Thank you for putting the web page on a prim back up, Tx Oh.
[11:00] tx Oh: is there a chance to get my inventory back from the asset server?
[11:00] You: If anyone sees "Kinoc", can they encourage him to replace the wikipedia monolith?
[11:01] You: Tx. I dont know. We have not deleted anything.
[11:01] tx Oh: amd what are the pro's and con's of a local asset server
[11:01] Angelo Biondi: do you mean port it from sl to osgrid?
[11:01] Hiro Protagonist: Tx: what you're really thinking of is local inventory
[11:01] tx Oh: me neither but i don't get my stuff displayed
[11:02] You: No, Angelo, there are some folks having trouble seeing their inventory this week on OSGrid.
[11:02] Hiro Protagonist: a lot of folk are presently experiencing inventory trouble of one sort or another.
[11:02] Angelo Biondi: i suppose to know why
[11:02] tx Oh: yes, local inventory
[11:02] Angelo Biondi: is there a problem on the folder versioning
[11:02] Angelo Biondi: i fixed it in my local opensim
[11:02] Angelo Biondi: i'll post a patch soon
[11:02] Angelo Biondi: the problem is that folders are wrong versioned
[11:03] Angelo Biondi: and the sl client doesn't see them
[11:03] Angelo Biondi: cause they are lower than expected
[11:03] Angelo Biondi: i hope my enlgish was understood :)
[11:03] peavy ibanez: hi all
[11:03] tx Oh: yes
[11:03] tx Oh: yes
[11:03] tx Oh: i hope you will send a patch soon
[11:03] Angelo Biondi: anyway i'll post this patch togheter with the one i'm working on very soon
[11:04] You: Thats a good subject to open "Office Hour" with. And that is, "How can we move forward on inventory issues that seem to be affecting several folks?"
[11:04] You: Is it possible we have some corruption in the OSGrid mysql datastore that may be skewing the perception of the users and developers?
[11:04] Justin Clark-Casey: what kind of problems are we seeing
[11:04] Justin Clark-Casey: ?
[11:05] You: Tx. Can you describe again what you see?
[11:05] Hiro Protagonist: I can sometimes see all my folders, sometimes not
[11:05] Hiro Protagonist: when I can see subfolders, they rarely load
[11:05] Justin Clark-Casey: sounds like network issues
[11:05] Hiro Protagonist: all of my animations have disappeared from the animations folder
[11:05] You: Tx: Is this what you see?
[11:05] Angelo Biondi: i guess not
[11:05] Chris D: I have lost all of my inventory.
[11:05] Angelo Biondi: it should be the folder version
[11:05] Angelo Biondi: you didn't lose them
[11:05] tx Oh: i see an empty inventory, now i started filling it up again
[11:05] Angelo Biondi: just don't see them
[11:06] peavy ibanez: i have not noticed any inventory issues on my end
[11:06] tx Oh: but objects is still empty and i miss folders i created
[11:06] Hiro Protagonist: this is a fairly recent developement. Started within the last week or ten days.
[11:06] Justin Clark-Casey: if you are sometimes seeing them sometimes not, that particular issue would be more likely network
[11:06] You: That is making me wonder if we might have multiple root inventory folders in the mysql datastor again.
[11:06] Chris D: This happened during the testing of clients and
[11:06] Hiro Protagonist: well, I see -no other- network related issues.
[11:06] Angelo Biondi: cause the folder info that opensim sends to the client, contains a wrong folder version
[11:06] tx Oh: my other account, tx Ah, also has no problem
[11:06] Hiro Protagonist: yes, ChrisD
[11:06] Justin Clark-Casey: yes, if that happened, symptoms could persist
[11:06] Hiro Protagonist: precisely
[11:06] Angelo Biondi: so the client discards them
[11:07] Angelo Biondi: and don't fetch them
[11:07] Angelo Biondi: so you don't see your items
[11:07] Justin Clark-Casey: angelo: that hasn't been an issue up until this point
[11:07] Primitive: Error compiling script: Line number 82, Error Number: CS1002, 'Expecting `; Line number 114, Error Number: CS1002, 'Expecting `; Line number 117, Error Number: CS1518, 'Expected `class', `delegate', `enum', `interface', or `struct
[11:07] Justin Clark-Casey: it's not impossible that it is an issue with the latest client
[11:07] Hiro Protagonist: I tend to agree Justin
[11:07] Chris D: I think you can still see them if you don't clear your cache
[11:07] Seg Baphomet: Fail?
[11:07] Angelo Biondi: well, in my local sim, after i fixed this, the client see all my objects
[11:08] You: Is it fair to say that studying inventory issues this week should be a priority?
[11:08] Angelo Biondi: i can demostrate it in another way
[11:08] Justin Clark-Casey: angelo: submit the patch and we can take a look
[11:08] tx Oh: i switched back to but also empty
[11:08] Angelo Biondi: in osgrid the sl client doesn't see my objects
[11:08] Angelo Biondi: but Second inventory see all them
[11:08] Angelo Biondi: and in Second inventory i just said to ignore the folder version
[11:08] Hiro Protagonist: interesting
[11:08] Justin Clark-Casey: I don't have those issues with objects in the sl client and osgrid
[11:08] Justin Clark-Casey: but yes, you might be right - the best thing is to submit the patch
[11:09] Angelo Biondi: ok, i'll do it now so we can check if it is the problem
[11:09] Justin Clark-Casey: rather than us discuss it extensively here, I think, because I don't know enough of the background detail
[11:10] Hiro Protagonist: awesome Angelo
[11:10] Hiro Protagonist: awesome Angelo
[11:10] Hiro Protagonist: awesome Angelo
[11:10] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: any messages you know of associated with these inventory issues on any of the consoles?
[11:10] Hiro Protagonist: awesome Angelo
[11:10] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: any messages you know of associated with these inventory issues on any of the consoles?
[11:10] Chris D: I can also confirm that reverting the client to does not restore the inventory
[11:10] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: any messages you know of associated with these inventory issues on any of the consoles?
[11:10] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: any messages you know of associated with these inventory issues on any of the consoles?
[11:10] Chris D: I can also confirm that reverting the client to does not restore the inventory
[11:10] You: Lets merely say that we should look into it this week as several residents have mentioned it, Ok?
[11:10] You: Lets merely say that we should look into it this week as several residents have mentioned it, Ok?
[11:10] Chris D: I can also confirm that reverting the client to does not restore the inventory
[11:10] Chris D: I can also confirm that reverting the client to does not restore the inventory
[11:10] You: Lets merely say that we should look into it this week as several residents have mentioned it, Ok?
[11:10] Primitive: Error compiling script: Line number 114, Error Number: CS1002, 'Expecting `; Line number 117, Error Number: CS1518, 'Expected `class', `delegate', `enum', `interface', or `struct
[11:10] You: Lets merely say that we should look into it this week as several residents have mentioned it, Ok?
[11:11] You: Who is trying to run a big particle script?
[11:11] Justin Clark-Casey: pong
[11:11] Hiro Protagonist: ping
[11:12] You: ping
[11:12] Seg Baphomet: I am and it seems to be failing miserably.
[11:12] You: Could you please hold off until after our meeting, Seg?
[11:12] Seg Baphomet: Ooops.
[11:12] Teravus Ousley: I'm getting a lot of packets from Angelo going away and coming back
[11:12] Justin Clark-Casey: freaky
[11:13] Seg Baphomet: Is that what lagged things?
[11:13] You: Its Ok. We just need 50 minutes for "Office Hour", then you can play all you wish.
[11:13] You: I believe so.
[11:13] You: Its amazing it recovered.
[11:14] Seg Baphomet: Weird. Its throwing compilation errors so it shouldn't even be running...
[11:14] You: I saw the script go by on the console just before the sim lagged.
[11:14] You: i am guessing a little bit.
[11:14] Alynna Trypnotk: is there a way to see the current map?
[11:14] Teravus Ousley: you have to click on the dot that represents you on the map
[11:14] Justin Clark-Casey: hmm, perhaps we need a script that can clean the user dtabase table
[11:15] You: Dont do it right now. But, open the map and then single click where you are. We need to run our Office Hour meeting for 50 minutes.
[11:15] Justin Clark-Casey: eliminate dupe inventories (probably keeping the fullest one by default)
[11:15] You: Ok, going past inventory which I think we need to look at this week. What are the other important issues for this weeks "Office Hour"??
[11:16] Hiro Protagonist: would it be possible to merge the contents of all like-named folders? so we dont lose what's accumulated in the interim?
[11:16] Justin Clark-Casey: Hiro: yeah, that's a better idea :)
[11:16] Hiro Protagonist: ;D
[11:16] Teravus Ousley: I still get odd results in my inventory.. on Wright plaza.. I don't get them anywhere else though.. so I'm not sure how to reproduce it.
[11:16] Justin Clark-Casey: Teravus: what do you mean by odd?
[11:16] Teravus Ousley: all folders empty
[11:16] tx Oh gave you New Script.
[11:16] Justin Clark-Casey: teravus: so you get your inventory contents properly from other regions?
[11:17] peavy ibanez: yet my inventoery is good here
[11:17] Teravus Ousley: I've only been on Wright plaza.. so I can't say really.
[11:17] peavy ibanez: my inventory is small 30 objects may be
[11:17] tx Oh: i got the accepted message twice
[11:17] Justin Clark-Casey: is that with 1.19.1?
[11:17] You: Tx Oh just gave me a script electronically avatar-avatar and it is in my inventory and I can open it and examine it. So that is a good thing.
[11:18] Teravus Ousley: Second Life 1.19.1 (4)
[11:18] Justin Clark-Casey gave you justincc's graffiti board v0.0.1.
[11:18] You: graffiti board received.
[11:18] Justin Clark-Casey: teravus: just with the latest or was that previously? (wondering if it's caps, though I would think not)
[11:18] Hiro Protagonist: awesome, that is a new thing indeed!!
[11:18] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: heh, giving things is nice
[11:18] Teravus Ousley: It was working before this client.
[11:19] Justin Clark-Casey: we just need to sort out those
[permissions] now.......
[11:19] Justin Clark-Casey: tearvus: yeah, could just be linked to current issues
[11:19] Hiro Protagonist: giving things is half the battle with respect to the slightly more complex social operation of 'exchange'
[11:19] Teravus Ousley: On my grid my inventory works.. just not here. It's probably an edge case.
[11:19] Teravus Ousley: .. with my account parhaps
[11:19] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: I think resolving the inventory issue may take some time, and involve the writing of more diagnostic tools and information rather than an immediate fix attempt
[11:20] Hiro Protagonist: try this one:
[11:20] Teravus Ousley: News update.. Stretched spheres now collide like stretched spheres
[11:20] Hiro Protagonist: Awesome, thanks Justin :D
[11:20] Justin Clark-Casey: huzzah!
[11:20] You: Coolness, Teravus
[11:20] Alynna Trypnotk: ok i am going to try just flying over to it
[11:20] Justin Clark-Casey: hiro: hey, I'm just giving my crap away :)
[11:21] You: Nice web site
[11:21] You: I really like that one.
[11:21] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: I see this region has been runing for more than 5 hours
[11:22] Justin Clark-Casey: memory usage is quite high, and probably is having an impact on perf, but isn't making us catatonic yet
[11:22] Hiro Protagonist: I gotta switch seats - be back in a few
[11:22] You: Updated to r4142 this morning
[11:22] You: this is a really good thing.
[11:22] Hiro Protagonist: they're cutting down a tree on the other side of the wall ;p
[11:22] Justin Clark-Casey: hiro: you're in danger of getting chainsawed?
[11:22] You: Cant you just de-rez the tree?
[11:23] peavy ibanez: lol
[11:23] Teravus Ousley: hehe
[11:23] You: Oh, we are talking RL.
[11:23] You: "There is no spoon"
[11:23] Angelo Biondi: ok, done
[11:23] You: What are the other issues for this week while we have our hour?
[11:23] Angelo Biondi: i don't know if the patch would solve the problem but i hope is it
[11:24] Angelo Biondi: for me it worked, maybe it was just a coincidence
[11:24] Justin Clark-Casey: okay, it might take us a little bit of time to get to
[11:24] Justin Clark-Casey: but we shall certainly take a look
[11:24] peavy ibanez: perhaps sim crashes on inventory placement
[11:24] You: I would like to recommend that those finding problems try to get a second confirmation to make the Mantis better.
[11:25] Justin Clark-Casey: I will be incredibly pleased if we get through to the end of this meeitng with the sim intact
[11:25] peavy ibanez: i have noted my findings in the mantra
[11:25] Justin Clark-Casey: +1 + 1+1 Charles
[11:25] Teravus Ousley: One thing that was suggested.. is maybe in our LLSD parser, we're not treating the permissions UINT properly from an endian standpoint
[11:25] Justin Clark-Casey: corroboration is always excellent - it's hard to distinguish signal from noise on complicated bugs with only one report
[11:25] You: Every Mantis will be much stronger if it has a confirmation on the other operating system. If you find a problem on Linux, get someone to test it on Windows and vice versa.
[11:26] Justin Clark-Casey: yes, anything to triangulate is immensely useful
[11:26] peavy ibanez: only large prim objects like a house seem the crash my sim, smaller 20 prim objects are not a problem
[11:27] You: So, confirming inventory issues between Linux and Windows would help in the Mantis this week.
[11:27] Justin Clark-Casey: peavy: I saw your bug report. Do you *laways* see the timer issue under that circumstance?
[11:27] peavy ibanez: yeah i think i do
[11:28] Justin Clark-Casey: okay, that's something we should invesigate at some point, becuase that StartTimer() problem has been randomly bugging us forever
[11:28] Justin Clark-Casey: if we could find a situation in which it can be reliably reproduced, that could help to pin down the cause
[11:28] peavy ibanez: win or linux no matter
[11:28] peavy ibanez: i can crash 2 out of 3
[11:28] Justin Clark-Casey: ok
[11:29] peavy ibanez: crab a copy on my 80 prim house and rezz it
[11:29] peavy ibanez: most likly you will crash
[11:30] Justin Clark-Casey: peavy: that is a linked prim, right?
[11:30] peavy ibanez: yes
[11:30] Justin Clark-Casey: do you have physics turned on?
[11:30] You: Peavy. Could you see if you can crash the sim "Celt" or the sim 'Yang" with your house?
[11:30] You: Or, after the meeting here, can you see if you can crash this sim with your house.
[11:30] peavy ibanez: yeah i crashed yang :(
[11:30] peavy ibanez: i was prooveing it to my self
[11:30] Justin Clark-Casey: angelo: is verison =1 what the linden server returns?
[11:30] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: is yang running physics?
[11:31] peavy ibanez: i run ode
[11:31] Angelo Biondi: from my debug yes
[11:31] You: When, Peavy. Yes, Yang is running ODE and its crashes tend to be physics.
[11:31] Justin Clark-Casey: peavy: you might want to try it with physics turned off (basic engine, I think)
[11:31] Angelo Biondi: not less than 1
[11:31] Justin Clark-Casey: just to see if it's a physics related problem
[11:31] Angelo Biondi: lower*
[11:31] peavy ibanez: i can do that
[11:31] You: Except for the null timer event
[11:31] You: Which affects about 10 Mantisi.
[11:31] Justin Clark-Casey: charles, hmm that's true
[11:32] Justin Clark-Casey: lot sof complex possibilities there - physics delays might be inducing the starttimer issue, etc.
[11:32] Teravus Ousley: lol, yes.. the null timer event has been ongoing since the beginning of our 2nd mantis.
[11:32] You: Is there a way to defend us against the exception crashing the sim?
[11:32] Teravus Ousley: only if we know where the issue occurs
[11:32] Hiro Protagonist: Has anyone heaRD FROM nEBADON?
[11:32] Justin Clark-Casey: exactly
[11:32] Teravus Ousley: (which we don't)
[11:32] You: whoever has the map open, please close it until after the meeting.
[11:32] Justin Clark-Casey: exactly
[11:33] Hiro Protagonist: sorry, foreign keyboard
[11:33] You: no Nebadon for about two weeks.
[11:33] Teravus Ousley: not for a while Hero
[11:33] Teravus Ousley: Hiro (sp)
[11:33] Justin Clark-Casey: perhaps he burnt out?
[11:33] Justin Clark-Casey: I think he was pulling some very late nights
[11:34] Hiro Protagonist: his web page is now all black, with only his email addy on it
[11:36] You: I gotta lower those stones this afternoon a little bit.
[11:36] Angelo Biondi: why do we call AddNewInventoryItem on the UpdateItem request?
[11:37] Justin Clark-Casey: because the underlying code actually uses a replace db call
[11:37] Justin Clark-Casey: the code down there is a mess
[11:38] Angelo Biondi: on sqllite it doesn't replace, just try to add it and fails
[11:38] Angelo Biondi: i didn't test on mysql
[11:38] Justin Clark-Casey: interesting. if it actually fails then it is a bug
[11:38] Hiro Protagonist: an interesting datapoint on the inventory issue
[11:39] Hiro Protagonist: I'm using an older windlight firstlook client
[11:39] Hiro Protagonist: and suddenly all my anims are back
[11:39] Justin Clark-Casey: hmmmmmmmmm
[11:39] Hiro Protagonist: (I had to use what was handy on the wife's machine)
[11:39] Justin Clark-Casey: hiro: can you try giving me an anim?
[11:40] You: Could not find user profile for 0339ce25-2a7c-4a9b-9584-a55674ab7439 for folder 2c592c35-097d-44e5-a06d-6cb203abd4c5
[11:40] Justin Clark-Casey: I think we've lost him
[11:41] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: I think the user server is failing
[11:41] You: I see a few of these on the sim console all of a sudden
[11:41] Justin Clark-Casey: possibly
[11:41] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: it means we tried to look up the user profile, but failed to get anthing back
[11:41] Teravus Ousley: my UUID?
[11:41] Justin Clark-Casey: I should actually remove the folder message, since it's just confusing
[11:41] Justin Clark-Casey: ....
[11:42] You: The userserver seems to be running. Console is responsive, user just logged in to another sim.
[11:42] Justin Clark-Casey: thanks hiro. I want to test a theory that we have the same problem with animations as we had with objects on 1.19.1
[11:42] You: Our traffic on the UGAI is up from last week.
[11:42] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: interesting.... the lookup is pretty direct....
[11:42] Hiro Protagonist: nah, I have tree surgeons here removing a large oak just the other side of my office wall
[11:42] You: We have a 1200 day on Saturday
[11:43] Hiro Protagonist: so coming and going a bit
[11:43] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: what do you think baout the idea of popping messages to the user's console on these kinds of failures?
[11:43] peavy ibanez: nice numbers
[11:43] You: Good idea
[11:43] Justin Clark-Casey: rather than having things just myseriously fail
[11:43] Teravus Ousley: :P can't create a script either right now.
[11:43] Justin Clark-Casey: yeah, I think I'm going to bump that up my personal priority list
[11:43] You: Numbered error codes?
[11:43] Justin Clark-Casey: heh, yes, that's what would be best...
[11:43] You: "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" ??
[11:44] Justin Clark-Casey: just need to do extra plumbin to ensure uniqueness of numbers...
[11:44] Teravus Ousley: (once again.. probably linked somehow to my account)
[11:44] Justin Clark-Casey: yes, that should come up right after login ;)
[11:44] Justin Clark-Casey: teravus: yeah, if user info cache is failing, all the inventory is stored in ther e(not great naming)
[11:44] Justin Clark-Casey: so inventory stuff will be failing if the user server is unwell
[11:45] peavy ibanez: some one needs to swipe a copy of the linden lab code :)
[11:45] Teravus Ousley: I was going to write a script to see what my UUID is
[11:45] You: No F***G way.
[11:45] Angelo Biondi: always regarding inventory, the wearables miss their flags
[11:45] Justin Clark-Casey: teravus: you could try going in and out of the region...
[11:45] Teravus Ousley: and compare it against the not found profile for User ID
[11:45] Teravus Ousley: sure
[11:45] Angelo Biondi: so the inventory see them only as bodypart and clothings
[11:46] Justin Clark-Casey: angelo: yeah, there's lots of little failures
[11:46] Justin Clark-Casey: just things which were quickly coded in the first place and nobody has got around to fixing up yet
[11:46] Angelo Biondi: LL use the flags to specify what kind of wearable they are
[11:46] You: We are just barely past 50% functionality
[11:46] Justin Clark-Casey: this is all alpha code still
[11:47] You: That fact that it works at all is just this side of a miracle.
[11:47] Angelo Biondi: yes i know, i didn't want to offend nobody, i appreciated your work
[11:47] Justin Clark-Casey: yes yes
[11:47] Angelo Biondi: i was thinking just on what i could give my humble contribute
[11:47] Justin Clark-Casey: angelo: no offence - it's just that if something doesn't work, it's usually just because nobody has had time to address it
[11:47] Angelo Biondi: i learned a lot about inventory
[11:47] Justin Clark-Casey: patches are always welcome
[11:47] You: Angelo. Your efforts are appreciated.
[11:47] peavy ibanez: i will take my hat off to you folks, you have done a great job so far :)
[11:47] Teravus Ousley: One thing that makes it hard to diagnose.. is my client isn't making any further HTTP requests to the simulator.
[11:47] Justin Clark-Casey: but it does take some tim eto process them somtimes - we have to try and ensure there are no unintended consequences
[11:48] You: Its a marathon. We need to step carefully for the second half to get from 50% to 100%
[11:48] Teravus Ousley: Parhaps it's http request threads are locked up?
[11:48] Angelo Biondi: sure
[11:48] Justin Clark-Casey: angelo: it's just there are so many issue sto address, that we can't handle them all
[11:48] Justin Clark-Casey: all at once
[11:48] Angelo Biondi: of course
[11:49] You: Justin. to make you feel better, and trying not to tempt you, Mr.Murphy, Sir. But Wright Plaza is definitely working better then last week.
[11:49] Justin Clark-Casey: teravus: looks like i can still script edit, so mine are still working
[11:49] Angelo Biondi: yes it is
[11:49] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: oh yes, let's not tempt Mr Murphy... ;)
[11:50] You: We have 10 minutes left. What important things have not been addressed today that affect what we do in the next week??
[11:50] Ken West: load-xml?
[11:50] tx Oh: just one question
[11:50] Teravus Ousley: I'd like to get hollow and cut spheres :D. but there's still a lot of code to write for that.
[11:50] You: good one. Can others confirm if load-xml is borken or not, please?
[11:50] You: Go ahead, Tx
[11:51] tx Oh: in the statistic bar i have very high frame times based on physics
[11:51] You: Justin, Teravus, would you accept that having save-xml/load-xml is very useful for backups still?
[11:51] Ken West: i tested load-xml in last night's version and it seems broken (it only loaded the first prim and died)
[11:51] tx Oh: here and now its about 280ms
[11:51] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: yes
[11:51] You: Ken. We will get into that deeper this week.
[11:51] Justin Clark-Casey: ken: what was the mantis number?
[11:52] Teravus Ousley: yes, charles :D
[11:52] You: no mantis yet until confirmation
[11:52] Justin Clark-Casey: yes, that would be very good
[11:52] Justin Clark-Casey: the more information, the easier it is to fix the bug :D
[11:52] Teravus Ousley: earthquake
[11:53] You: Physics frame number rates. Teravus could you comment for Tx Oh?
[11:53] Ken West: Justin, sorry I haven't mantis it yet
[11:53] You: Ken. See if you can get corroboration and then Mantis it.
[11:53] Justin Clark-Casey: ken: np, if we can get confirmation, then lots of details in a mantis report is really our mechanism for looking at bugs
[11:53] Justin Clark-Casey: yeah, what Charles said :)
[11:53] tx Oh: in main gird the total frame rate never gets that high
[11:54] Teravus Ousley: yeah, it seems higher on Linux boxes vs windows boxes. In addition it seems higher when there's prim covering most of the grid of spaces.
[11:54] Ken West: ok, i will put one in later today if it is still having the isssue
[11:55] You: Are the daily updates we are doing on OSGrid still helpful to all?
[11:55] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: yep
[11:55] Ken West: yes, very helpful
[11:55] tx Oh: yessss
[11:55] You: Full Speed Ahead, Darn the Torpedoes.
[11:55] Teravus Ousley: (The grid of spaces.. the areas are split up into 32m columns with an unlimited Z axis.. to help cull collisions.
[11:55] Teravus Ousley: )
[11:55] tx Oh: release often
[11:55] Justin Clark-Casey: yeah, I think at some point maybe sooner we need to be able to allow region runners to cap the number of prims in a region
[11:56] You: 3 max?
[11:56] Justin Clark-Casey: 3, are you mad?!
[11:56] Justin Clark-Casey: or maybe 1
[11:56] You: As Yogi Berra once said "Its Deja Vu all over again"
[11:57] Justin Clark-Casey: actually, there isa lready that 15000 cap (hardcoded I think)
[11:57] tx Oh: hmmm
[11:57] You: ok, coming down the the wire. What are we not doing that we should be doing?
[11:57] Teravus Ousley: no.. have a look at the sim stats reporter..
[11:57] You: What are we doing that we should not be doing?
[11:57] Teravus Ousley: .. inside there.. there's a prim count that seems to be getting applied to general use
[11:58] Justin Clark-Casey: Objects?
[11:58] Justin Clark-Casey: you mean, code is using it programatically?
[11:58] Justin Clark-Casey: charles: is wp parcelled?
[11:58] You: Yes
[11:58] You: About 6 parcels.
[11:58] Ken West: meaning that it can play 6 movies?
[11:58] You: Until it is parceled more.
[11:59] You: Most of the parcels surround the QuickTime video booths to the South
[11:59] Teravus Ousley: statpack.Region.ObjectCapacity = (uint) 15000;
[12:00] Ken West: so we can divide a sim up to 6 parcels and have 6 video feeds running at once?
[12:00] Teravus Ousley: line 155 of the sim stats reporter
[12:00] You: Coitainly
[12:00] Justin Clark-Casey: okay, so that's just a cosmetic touch :)
[12:00] tx Oh: there is this mammal video, i like it
[12:00] You: We made it through the hour without crashing. Congratulations, Justin and Teravus.
[12:01] Ken West: lol! great job!!
[12:01] Justin Clark-Casey: Sweet jesus!
[12:01] Teravus Ousley: yey
[12:01] Justin Clark-Casey: finally!
[12:01] peavy ibanez: coolness
[12:01] Justin Clark-Casey: and on a sim which has already been up for 5 hours
[12:01] You: I declare the official meeting over and BS session beginning as long as folks want.
[12:01] You: Seg, if you want to play with scripts, go ahead.
[12:01] Teravus Ousley: congratulations Justin and the people who worked on solving the memory issue.
[12:01] Justin Clark-Casey: excellent. I'm going to go and have dinner now. Happy crashing everybody
[12:01] You: PEavy, if you want to crash the sim with your house, go ahead.
[12:02] tx Oh: if you like i can work on a nagios report thingy
[12:02] peavy ibanez: if i dont abuse my regions they will be up for days/week
[12:02] Justin Clark-Casey: thanks Teravus. We can don better yet though - specially as I've rea;lized I misunderstood the texture request activity
[12:02] You: I dont even know what nagios is. I must be in the wrong century.
[12:02] You: I will copy paste the chat for the first time in a few weeks.
[12:02] tx Oh: it's a monitoring system
[12:02] Justin Clark-Casey: and we might be still leaking - I'm wondering why were using 797mb
[12:03] You: Today, I dunt care. I just care that we made it with 11 avatars.
[12:03] Justin Clark-Casey: teravus: in fact, if we properly generated textures at different levels of quality, we might be able to improve texture performance
[12:03] Teravus Ousley: oft times in Linux regions we were previously using 700 MB.. and I think it has something to do with Mono.
[12:03] You: We can push the envelope again on Saturday at Test Hour.
[12:04] Teravus Ousley: .. Windows usually handles the same situation with 25-100MB of memory in use.
[12:04] Justin Clark-Casey: and possibly reply quickly to the client about the texture - I don't know for sure yet
[12:04] Justin Clark-Casey: interesting Teravus....
[12:04] Justin Clark-Casey: we really shoudl try meeting on your windows box sometime

Personal tools
About This Wiki