[Opensim-users] MySQL query and number of agents online

Fleep Tuque fleep513 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 15:13:10 UTC 2012

Hi InuYasha,

*(Sorry in advance if you've already thought of all this and have made a
choice for your own reasons, but someone was asking me about this the other
day and I was trying to explain why it's often beneficial to use add-ons
with Opensim.  I don't want to sound patronizing though!) *

While I can understand your desire to stick to "core" Opensim, as I
understand it, the developers have made a choice to not include many
different kinds of features and functions in the core distribution in order
to focus on, well, the "core" of what's required to make an Opensim server
work.  They _expect_ users to use add-on modules to extend the
functionality of Opensim, so if you decide to only ever use the core
download, you'll always be pretty limited to the basic functions of the
server.

I think of it like this:  The core Opensim distribution is the frame of a
house and it comes with the basic stuff required to provide some shelter,
but if you want a nice front door and pretty shutters, you'll need to add
those yourself.

(Personally, I think some of the features they've chosen to exclude (or not
include) are unfortunate choices since most people create an Opensim world
for the purpose of sharing it with others and the core distribution doesn't
provide some of the basic features needed to do that - easy account
creation, non-ruth starter avatars, a visually appealing welcome screen,
etc., I mean who wants a house without a door!  But I understand the
philosophy behind the choice and am generally so grateful for all their
hard work that I figure we shouldn't complain.)  ;)

Fortunately, Diva made a really nice front door package for us to use, and
with a little tinkering you can figure out how to customize it for your
grid without being a hardcore php programmer or web developer.  For an
example of a custom welcome screen made with Diva Wifi, see
http://ucsim.uc.edu:8002/wifi/welcome.html - obviously I created some
custom graphics in Photoshop, and I had to edit both the css and html of
the default webpage with the module, but I wouldn't consider myself a super
web dev.

I highly recommend it, and as far as I know you don't have to run the Diva
flavor of Opensim to take advantage of the Diva Wifi module capabilities,
or to further the analogy, I'm pretty sure you can use the Diva Wifi front
door on the stock Opensim house or with her souped up Opensim house.  :)

Hope that helps and you can find more information and download links at:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Wifi

Sincerely,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive