[Opensim-users] [Opensim-dev] Upload Collada Meshes to OpenSim0.7.1.1

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Sat Oct 8 17:08:58 UTC 2011

On 10/6/2011 12:18 PM, Garmin Kawaguichi wrote:
> About meshes from Evolver used as rigged wearable, the problem seems to be the number of bones; may be 26 for LL and variable for Evolver. (The problem exiss for LL Second Life and for OpenSim)
In some of the online docs, it would seem that a specific # of bones and
bone names have
to be used. Somewhat surprising, as I had thought that any mesh with any
armature should
naturally be importable (i.e., if you wanted to build a robot arm with 3
bones) into the
viewer.

> I used Linden Lab Viewer 3 to upload DAE files in OpenSim and to view them; there is also a mesh release of the Cool Viewer but I can only see the mesh items but I cannot upload them.
Here is another oddity:

 in the most recent version of Blender 2.59, if you import LL's supplied
simplebot.dae file, there is
no armature - it isn't there, only a mesh. If you try in Blender 2.49b
(which according to the
simplebot.dae header was used for export using Collada 1.4.0), I
couldn't locate the armature in
there either although I confess to perhaps not fully knowing the
interface---the gui for Blender
has changed dramatically since 2.49.

Anyway, I agree that this seems not to be an opensim issue so maybe we
can take it offline to see if we
can investigate further to figure out what is, and is not, possible. I
was thinking that a basic solution
to the Evolver avatar problem was to import the armature (from simplebot
which is known to
import into the viewer) and then parent this bone structure to the
Evolver mesh. That would be
great if only the armature could be obtained in Blender...

-p