[Opensim-users] re-why not a real OS?

lamont cranston l.cranston at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 08:41:14 UTC 2010

I would point out that I did give a helpful link to the the original
question (Drupal does run on Windows, my link was to their page)

My use of the word "real" is because Free Software is Computer *Science* -
open experiments with all the evidence available to all researchers.
The opposite is the guild system where knowledge is hoarded and no one
outside the guild is allowed to know how things are done. It is unnatural
and requires the use of force (legal penalties) to impose. It slows down the
advancement of knowledge.
You don't need source code to break an operating system - Microsoft has
demonstrated that beyond debate.
You do need source code to fix it.

looking at James comment

1. Pick your application
2. Pick the language that best implements it
3. Pick the best operating system that supports it (natively is to be
preferred)
4. pick the hardware that runs that operating system

OpenSim is being tied to Windows due to the use of .net (I agree with James
parenthetical statement)
Mono is open, but it is a potential landmine of patent liability, which is
why it has been dropped from Fedora/Red Hat.
That loss of userbase/mindshare impacts on the development of Mono.

I'm pleased to hear that the garbage collection is being improved, but by
design, Mono is locked into playing catch up against .net
As a result, the roadmap of a critical component belongs to a company that
has their own agenda, and it may not support your project
Having an open project dependent on a closed OS introduces a point of
failure, outside of the developers control.

Suggesting nefarious scheming on the part of Microsoft is not unreasonable,
given the company's history -  from the days of the DR-DOS lawsuit to the
theft of code from Plurk and the whole fuss over stolen XML code in their
office suite back at the begining of this year. If Mono is an intentional
landmine this project would be among the casualties, not even noticed in the
larger scheme of things.