[Opensim-users] re-why not a real OS?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 07:21:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 08:31 +0200, jabbaah wrote:
> You've got it - the world is black-and-white:
>
> Linux is good,
> Windows is bad.

I certainly never stated that. I happen to not like Windows as MY OS and
I was very careful to state it was a personal preference. Anyone is free
to use whatever blows up their dress.

> That's all.
>
> Nope, back to reality: I am working as a freelance IT professional for
> years now.
> If you have to install a new system for a specific task you'll have to
> decide which
> operating system will be used. There are typical tasks which will lead
> you to a linux/unix/solaris
> installation and there are other jobs which will lead to a windows
> installation.
> Not to forget that there are typical os/x tasks which will lead to an
> xserve installation
> or something similar (sometimes hardware dependant).
>
> Back to OpenSim: You have the choice. I guess we don't have a 'typical'
> OpenSim
> installation. Linux or Windows. Your own decision. Both are as good as
> the other.
>
> Nothing bad about windows - but usually (if you rent a server) a few bucks
> more expensive than a linux box (due to license cost). That's all.
> But that's not a question of quality. If you'd use Red Hat Linux you had to
> pay license fees, too.

In Red Hat's case, as I used to work there, you're paying for the
service per license but never for the software. Bob Young hired me back
when, mostly to be the Goat amongst his 20 somethings Thoroughbreds, not
because I was a coder whizbang propeller head. If you don't need the
service, then CentOS can be installed for free. Again, that's bare
knucks, but makes for one tough server.

> Far more important is bandwidth of internet connection, latency,
> size of ram, disk speed, number of cpu cores.

I most certainly concur with that. I'd give anything to tap the Sprint
fiber optic cable that runs through our front yard, it's a major route
on the net's backbone. When I asked how much to connect, I got an
offhand "several grand a month ...or so". It goes from DC to Blackstone
VA down to Duke and UNC in North Carolina. Sweet. Probably the same line
that MS and Apple are tied into. Ric

Linux user# 44256