[Opensim-users] they way the project works and to support it....

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Mon Dec 22 20:16:33 UTC 2008

Ralf,

My $.02 on this, and I don't speak for all the developers.

People who use opensim must have two important things in mind: (1)
OpenSim is not Second Life; and (2) The developers are not Linden Lab.
These two things are subtle but critical. Specifically, to put it
bluntly, "costumer service" is non-existent. Ppl who run OpenSim grids
in an organized manner may have their costumer service for their grids,
but there is no such thing for the OpenSim project itself. The
developers are [almost] all volunteers who contribute their time for a
variety of different personal reasons.

There is no JIRA here, nor is there the concept of "voting for features"
outside core developers, because the core developers always work on
whatever parts they are more interested in working, and not on some list
of features that is produced and prioritized externally.

If someone wants something new implemented, the process is always the same:

(a) define what you want and discuss it on the -dev mailing list
(b) if you're a programmer, code it yourself and submit a patch via mantis
(c) if you're not a programmer, convince someone who is to implement it
for you and submit a patch via mantis
(d) all patches on mantis are evaluated by the core developers and
committed if there are no objections

If someone notices an annoying bug that is getting in their way, the
process is also always the same:

(a) define what the bug is in Mantis
(b) if you're a programmer and you enjoy doing these things, try to fix
it yourself and submit a patch
(c) if you're not a programmer, and you want the bug fixed, you need to
describe the problem with as much detail as possible or the developers
won't be able to even reproduce it. Without reproduction, there is no
possible fix.

Ppl who take time to file good and detailed issue reports give an
enormous contribution to the project!

Hope this helps clarify the process-according-to-how-I-interpret-it,
which I'm sure is not the only interpretation :-)
Crista