[Opensim-dev] BulletSim update for Windows and linkset crashes

Mister Blue misterblue at misterblue.com
Mon Dec 1 15:48:14 UTC 2014

Large meshes can take a while to be converted into physical hulls[1]. I
notice this with something like Nebadon's racer (linkset of meshes) --
riding the car makes it physical and the CPU maxes out for a few seconds
and the car is unridable until it is meshed.

So, if there is a problem, it could be that the vehicle mesh has to be read
in (from cache or asset store), converted into a mesh, then converted into
a hull. All the while, your NPC is trying to sit on it.

There is no programatic way to tell if a linkset is fully physical and
operational. All I can suggest is adding some delays if there are problems.

-- mb

[1] If you don't supply a physics, hull representation of the mesh
(possible with the mesh file format), BulletSim uses a HACD algorithm to
turn the mesh into a set of convex hulls. This algorithm is recursive and,
sometimes, slow.