[Opensim-dev] thinking about a viewer

Butch Arnold butch.arnold at 3rdrockgrid.com
Thu Aug 14 03:39:38 UTC 2014

Hi All,

While I believe the graphics potential of Unity compared to Opensim is
far greater, I would prefer seeing WebGL quality of graphics.
I personally think the quality of graphics is very poor in the Linden
based viewers compared to other technologies that are available.

I also think a viewer with the graphics capabilities of WebGL would be a
great boost to OpenSim.. even if it is a simple "Exploration Only"
viewer for now.
If we could produce a WebGL based viewer capable of simple exploration
and chat, it could be used as a building block for a more advanced
viewer as we move forward.

A smaller, less ambitious project like this might become fruitful much
sooner than a more robust project.

My biggest concerns with OpenSim is that since we are currently tied to
the graphics capabilities of Linden based viewers we will not be an
appealing platform for more serious projects.

I have worked on some projects where the main complaint has been the
quality of graphics we can obtain from the current viewers, often times
these projects have been eventually converted to a "Unity" scene as that
allows a better graphics experience.

While a "Full", "Robust" WebGL viewer may "Burden" current computers, I
do believe the graphics quality of WebGL to be a very appealing
direction for us to follow, and as time progresses, if we have a simple
WebGL viewer that is working, we can ramp it up with a few more features
here and there.

-My 2 cents-