[Opensim-dev] Core Developers... I need a little help...

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri May 22 15:27:04 UTC 2009

Mark Malewski wrote:
> Dev-Group,

First, I'll join Sean in thanking you for doing some work here, Mark.  I think that it can be a thankless task but any
reversal of entropy is good.  And general thanks to anybody who has worked on the wiki so far.

> Ok, I've been working (as much as I possibly can) on creating pages,
> improving navigation links, and improving the current WIKI
> documentation, but there are quite a few pages that still need updating
> (and I'm clueless as to what information should go on a few of these
> pages).  I've added some pages, and some pages are a bit out of date
> (and need updated content), so I really need some help from the core
> developers on updating each of these following pages:
>

> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Sim_Throttles   -  What is this page?
>  What is the name "Sim_Throttles", and where did it come from?  Is there
> an actual event or function called "Sim_Throttles" or
> "OpenSim_Throttles"?  This page needs some updating from one of the core
> developers familiar with this, also should the name be changed from
> "Sim_Throttles" to "OpenSim_Throttles"?

This relates to the code which controls the flow of data from the server to the client.  It corresponds to the
information you'll see in the Linden Lab Second Life client stats (texture data, object data, etc.).  Sim throttles is a
better name than OpenSim Throttles, though perhaps something like Client Data Throttles is even better.

> Also the following GridServer pages need work:
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/GridServer
> <http://opensimulator.org/wiki/GridServer/ClientDocs>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/GridServer/ClientDocs          -
>  GridServer Client Documentation Page
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/GridServer/DeveloperDocs
> <http://opensimulator.org/wiki/GridServer/ClientDocs>    -  GridServer
> Developer Documentation Page

I'm not sure what this is.  Some of the stuff it talks about (e.g. fetching assets from various urls) has not been
implemented, so I don't know if it's old or new.

In general, if I were you I'd concentrate on curating pages more than cleaning them up.  I think that making them easily
findable in the first place will make them more likely over time to be either cleaned up by other people over time or
disposed.

> Also where can I find out the current LSL and OSSL "Types Status" and
> "Events Status"?  Where does this information come from?  Mantis?   I'm
> trying to figure out how to update those pages, but I'm just not sure
> where the "Type Status" and "Event Status"
> information/numbers/statistics/completion stats comes from.  Please help
> me find this information, and update the pages accordingly.
>
> I've updated the navigation on these pages, but please review the
> content on all of these pages to see if the content needs to be updated
> as well.  I believe all the OpenSim "Current Status" pages need to be
> reviewed and updated accordingly as well:
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status                  - LSL Status Page
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Types        - LSL Types Status
> Page
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Events       - LSL Events
> Status Page
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Types        - LSL Status Page
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OSSL_Status
> <http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status>                  - OSSL
> Status Page
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OSSL_Status/Types
> <http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Types>        - OSSL Types
> Status Page
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OSSL_Status/Events
> <http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Events>       - OSSL Events
> Status Page
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OSSL_Status/Types
> <http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Types>        - OSSL Status Page

I think much of this information stems from the days when Alondria and CharlieO were working on that area (neither are
still active), though I'm sure people have updated these lists since then.

I imagine that the data itself came chiefly from direct testing, ckrinke's paper OpenSim notebook and code inspection
(e.g. OpenSim/Region/ScriptEngine/Shared/Api/LSL_Api.cs) and comparisons with lsl wiki pages.

> Please give me some feedback, and/or update the content on the WIKI
> pages listed above (or if you are not comfortable with updating the
> WIKI, please just send me the correct text that should be posted on the
> WIKI page in an E-mail off-list, and I'll copy and paste the text to the
> WIKI page, and update any necessary formatting, grammatical corrections,
> etc).  I just need some updated content for these WIKI pages.  Thank-you!
>
>                      Mark
>
> P.S.  I'm still currently working on the OSSL pages, so please give me
> another hour or two to finish up all the OSSL template pages before
> adding any content or updating the OSSL pages.  Thanks!

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com