[Opensim-dev] NINJA Physics - patch to allow joints for OpenSim

nlin nlin.message at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 11:51:33 UTC 2008

Hello all,

After receiving expressions of interest from a recent mailing list
discussion about physical joints for OpenSim (
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-dev/2008-November/003633.html),<http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-dev/2008-November/003633.html%29,>I've
continued work in this area and it's progressed to the point that I
have a patch I'd like to submit for your consideration. I refer to the patch
as NINJA Physics: Networked INteractive Jointed Assemblies.  The NINJA
Physics patch enhances the ODE physics in OpenSim with joints, which are
movable linkages between prims. This will allow wheeled vehicles, ragdolls,
and mechanical/robotic assemblies to be interactively built within the
standard viewer and controllable through scripting.

I've written some documentation about the usage, technical details, and
current limitations of this patch:
http://opensimulator.org/index.php?title=NINJA_Physics.<http://opensimulator.org/index.php?title=NINJA_Physics>
The patch itself is Mantis #2874:
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2874 . It's not finished or
completely bug-free, but it illustrates the technical feasibility of this
approach and, moreover, is quite fun to play with. I hope that with
community help this feature can be discussed and further developed as part
of OpenSim.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
N Lin (nlin / Standard Drucker)