[Opensim-dev] Idea for 100% smooth region crossing

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Sat Dec 20 23:36:27 UTC 2008

I guess that one could have an 'overlap zone' where neighbouring regions are both aware of the movements of prims and avatars in the other, and either hand-off or delegate to the client to decide which of them is the authority.
A long time ago, we were toying with the idea that one sim could have an agent in another, just like the clients had agents - and could probably share a lot of the protocol code for it. I would think that these 'border patrol agents' have another cone of interest than the client agents though; just a rectangle along one side - or just a little square in the case of the diagonal neighbour.

I'm wondering how the client reacts to two prims on different client connections writing updates to a prim with the same UUID/localid - I believe it results in updating the same and only one prim - it's such a dead simple solution - and I think we've seen phenomenon to that effect. Has anybody experimented with that?

I would be quite happy either a) never letting two sims with differing physics be neighbours or b) live with the artefacts if they are.
Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB

From: mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.comTo: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.deDate: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 01:11:13 +0200Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Idea for 100% smooth region crossing

In the way I was imagining an implementation of this that wouldn't be happening pretty much. As I said, once you'd get out of the bounds of a simulator to a neighbor that neighbor would start trying to take you in and process your avatar. But until then the sim you come from still processes your avatar out of bounds over there (although yeah I said "avatar movement", but I didn't mean only that). So as long as that sim would be to still process your avatar in the neighboring region until the neighboring region gets it in its system, you could still collide and act like nothing happened. So if this would be implemented the way I see it, crossing in a neighboring sim and being there until that sim takes your avatar in it would still include collisions and respecting of entry permissions and other necessary things as well.However, if that simulator is running a different physics engine from the one you're crossing from, then the new physics would apply to you / your vehicle once the transfer is complete. Only problem here is that if you're coming from a region running basephysics and crossing to one with ODE or something else, you would indeed not collide with the prims there until that region got you and switched you to its physics engine, so that way one could enter a building without being allowed to. I guess that could be the only unfixable flaw, although it could be fixed if region crossing would be left as it is and not use this system when going from a sim running basephysics to one running something else and having collisions enabled to avoid that.> Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:50:29 -0600> From: opensim-dev at bitparts.org> To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de> Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Idea for 100% smooth region crossing> > The one big hairy problem I see with this is physics. If I drive from > one sim in another, and the road suddenly takes a dip/rise/dead-end in a > building, what's to keep me from either "flying toward infinity" or > falling right through the ground? Unless I'm mistaken, neighbor-sims > known nothing about the physical items (or even non-physical, > non-phantom items) across the border.> > Let's take a for-instance. I'm sitting in a sim, and directly across the > sim border is someone's store/home/office/whathaveyou. I walk across the > border - and right through the back wall, ending up (potentially) where > I shouldn't be - because there's also the issue of parcel entry > permissions to look at.> > On a more (potentially) disastrous example - I'm driving along in my > physical vehicle, and cross the sim - straight into a hill, building, > grandstand, etc. Suddenly, the sim I'm entering receives the handoff - > and my physical vehicle is interpenetrating other prims. WHAM, into the > sky I go.> > My $0.02.> > -Buckaroo Mu>

check out the rest of the Windows Live™. More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox. More than messages