Chat log from the meeting on 2016-07-19

From OpenSimulator

Revision as of 15:09, 19 July 2016 by Sheera Khan (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

[11:07] Ogeywon Stromfield: im just siting in to see what i missed this last month i have been away
[11:08] Jak Daniels: hmmm.... two people here are missing from radar and have no names above them, only group name
[11:08] Jak Daniels: ubit and vegaslon
[11:09] Jak Daniels: now they just appeared.... strange
[11:10] Ubit Umarov: minimap as slower update rate
[11:10] Simulator Version v0.5 shouts: OpenSim Dev 9b4e83c: 2016-07-17 16:21:37 +0100 (Unix/Mono)
[11:10] Jak Daniels: does that affect tags and radar too?
[11:10] Ubit Umarov: yeap that is radar
[11:11] Jak Daniels: ok
[11:11] Andrew Hellershanks: Gavin, Are any of the Kokua viewer devs testing it under Linux with a desktop running with multiple workspaces? I often get a viewer crash when switching between workspace.
[11:11] Ubit Umarov: ( err not the tags above our heads)
[11:11] Gavin.Hird I don't know what Nicky does
[11:11] Jak Daniels: they were affected as well
[11:12] Gavin.Hird LL last TPV developer meeting was interesting
[11:12] Andrew Hellershanks: Gavin, ok. I'll track down the crash logs of the viewer one day and see what it say.
[11:12] Gavin.Hird they basically say they cannot put any more effort into a Linux version of the viewer
[11:12] Ubit Umarov: ll said that long ago i think
[11:12] Gavin.Hird + they will replace voice with a completely new version that is not compatible with Linux
[11:13] Ubit Umarov: oh that is clever :)
[11:13] Jak Daniels: more proprietary voice codecs then possibly?
[11:13] Gavin.Hird and it sounds like Virvox will block any viewer that does not use the new client version
[11:13] Andrew Hellershanks: hm... Why have they decided to cut off Linux users?
[11:13] Ubit Umarov: guess linux is fading out for corporations
[11:13] Gavin.Hird too much effort
[11:14] Gavin.Hird so this may affect all OpenSim version of vivox too
[11:14] Andrew Hellershanks: Are they going to drop support for Mac users as well?
[11:14] Ubit Umarov: linux failed to get a market share on desktops etc
[11:14] Gavin.Hird nope
[11:14] Ogeywon Stromfield: i was thinking of moving all my grids to Linux now not so much
[11:14] Gavin.Hird Mac users are about 15 % or their user base, developers are 25% Mac users. Linux is less than 1%
[11:14] Andrew Hellershanks: Gavin, Not all that much difference between Mac and Linux in terms of code as OS X is a *nix type OS.
[11:14] Jak Daniels: where your grid is hosted will not make a difference
[11:15] Ubit Umarov: Oge servers side is another issue
[11:15] Gavin.Hird very much difference
[11:15] Ogeywon Stromfield: ok
[11:15] Gavin.Hird app proper applications on MacOS is coded in Objective-C or now Swift
[11:15] Gavin.Hird the C++ portion of the viewer code is a BIG inhibitor to make a proper version for the Mac viewer
[11:16] Ubit Umarov: ( but seems mono is getting worse on linux also ?? )
[11:16] Andrew Hellershanks: Oh? They think Linux support is too much work but have changed to a different programming langugage for viewer development??
[11:16] Gavin.Hird ... which is why all the Mac viewers use frameworks that Apple deprecated 6 major operating system versions ago
[11:16] Ubit Umarov: they changed the language??
[11:17] Ubit Umarov: the can't do that on secondlife viewers
[11:17] Ubit Umarov: only on the new thing possible..
[11:17] Gavin.Hird a Mac viewer will have to be rewritten in Obj-C and/or Swift
[11:17] Gavin.Hird but then it can also be compiled for the iPad at least
[11:17] Ubit Umarov: c++ is not excuse at all
[11:18] Ubit Umarov: everything is c++ under the hood
[11:18] George Equus: Vivox keeps crashing on my Win 8 system with latest FS 64bit. Began 6 months ago or so, out of the blue.
[11:18] Gavin.Hird LL and Vivox will bring out a completely new version of the code
[11:18] Gavin.Hird they have suggested it might run on Wine on Linux
[11:19] Sheera.Khan time for Mumble/Murmur for OpenSim?
[11:19] Jak Daniels: is that due to the different underlying audio APIs for win, mac and linux? (with the linux one never really stable)
[11:20] Ubit Umarov: uff how silly all those distros actually killed linux for normal users
[11:20] Gavin.Hird I would not think the APIs is too much of an issue
[11:21] Gavin.Hird probably ROI - vivox is a commercial company after all
[11:21] Andrew.Hellershanks So LL finds yet another way to alienate some of their users and drive them away.
[11:21] Ubit.Umarov its not apis,,, or language .. is plain market share gavin.Hird
[11:21] Gavin.Hird you could say that :-)
[11:21] Ubit.Umarov no market why spent time coding for it ?
[11:21] Sheera Khan: well, I'm using Linux since about 1996 and I've never had bad problems with sound in VW in the past 7 years ...
[11:21] Gavin.Hird :-(
[11:21] Gavin.Hird for sansar there will only be a Windows client
[11:21] Andrew.Hellershanks With that attitude I won't expect to see any Linux support for their new grid system.
[11:22] Gavin.Hird so I am not sure what they are on to
[11:22] Sheera Khan: too bad for Sansar ...
[11:22] Unknown UserUMMAU42: but the linux audio subsystem keeps changing over time, there's no real standard
[11:22] Ubit.Umarov old phil was the opensource guy at sl... guess all left now
[11:23] Gavin.Hird Sansar is all closed source
[11:23] Ubit.Umarov so tpvs will be out of the game also :)
[11:23] Gavin.Hird so it is all very fluid right now
[11:24] Gavin.Hird no TPV for Sansar
[11:24] Ubit.Umarov mb we get a bit more of their attention then ? :)
[11:24] Andrew.Hellershanks I wonder what this may mean for TPVs for use with OpenSim.
[11:24] Gavin.Hird TPV attention?
[11:25] Ubit.Umarov ll still keeps the lie that SL will go for ever ?
[11:25] Andrew.Hellershanks Viewer devs already have to deal with differences between SL and OS. if that divide gets a lot wider the developers of a viewer may have to decide which system they want to continue to support.
[11:25] Gavin.Hird My thinking is that once Sansar gets to 1.0 SL will be closed
[11:26] Ubit.Umarov yeah i think that also
[11:26] Andrew.Hellershanks nods
[11:26] Ubit.Umarov but till then they need to keep the lie on
[11:26] Andrew.Hellershanks It would make sense. Why would they want to continue supporting SL once they have Sansar.
[11:26] Gavin.Hird you got that right Ubit
[11:27] Ubit.Umarov sure they will have a migration scheme i guess
[11:27] Gavin.Hird no migration scheme
[11:27] Ubit.Umarov nahh if they are good, they will have one
[11:27] Gavin.Hird no content can be moved
[11:27] Gavin.Hird only your name and purse
[11:28] Ubit.Umarov they can't loose the clients
[11:28] Ubit.Umarov at not all of them
[11:28] Gavin.Hird they want to loose the client
[11:28] Ubit.Umarov at least not all
[11:28] Gavin.Hird LL basically hates their userbase
[11:28] Ubit.Umarov they do?
[11:28] Sheera Khan: hihihi - and vice versa so it seems at times ^^
[11:28] Ubit.Umarov well they are paying it all :)
[11:29] Andrew.Hellershanks They can have Sansar and not have to worry about users at all if they are going to ill treat everyone.
[11:29] Gavin.Hird they are longing to get rid of the smut, the child avatars, the entitlement, all the fuzz
[11:29] Ubit.Umarov so i think they will have some kind limited or not migration
[11:29] Ubit.Umarov ( so money keeps getting in )
[11:30] Andrew.Hellershanks I wonder what Sansar will use for scripting
[11:30] Gavin.Hird as I understand it Sansar will be a platform for others to make canned experiences
[11:30] Gavin.Hird C#
[11:31] Andrew.Hellershanks It will have to be locked down a bit so as to avoid possible security issues.
[11:31] Gavin.Hird from the last Ebbe briefing there will not be any user created content
[11:31] Andrew.Hellershanks What?
[11:31] Gavin.Hird everything will have to be created outside and uploaded
[11:31] Andrew.Hellershanks oh, you mean no inworld created content.
[11:31] Gavin.Hird so no in-world created content
[11:32] Andrew.Hellershanks That's ok as long as they aren't going to force people to need Maya.
[11:32] Ogeywon.Stromfield whats the point of Sansar then
[11:32] Ubit.Umarov in-world creation is a big performance issue
[11:32] Gavin.Hird Maya is the reference platform
[11:32] Unknown UserUMMAU42: build tools just limited to placing and moving content around then?
[11:32] vegaslon.plutonian Guessing it will be something like create a level for a game. You upload it to the server and the users download it as they come in.
[11:33] Gavin.Hird from what he said initially even moving stuff would be difficult
[11:33] Gavin.Hird but would eventually get there
[11:33] Andrew.Hellershanks If Maya is the reference platform who are they expecting to build anything for it? That is a *very* expensive program.
[11:33] Ubit.Umarov yeap precooked and optimized content as on a game level
[11:33] Gavin.Hird yep
[11:33] Ubit.Umarov Andrew they only want pros
[11:33] Gavin.Hird but the good thing is of course that openSim could see a lot of refugees
[11:34] Unknown UserUMMAU42: oh, so a 'space' has to built in its entirety and upload as one mesh then?
[11:34] vegaslon.plutonian no it can be multiple meshes
[11:34] Gavin.Hird yes, Jak
[11:34] Andrew.Hellershanks Why would "pros" bother with it. If they have that type of program they would have better things to do with it.
[11:34] Ubit.Umarov normal ppl make bad unoptimized things that impact negatively on the product
[11:34] vegaslon.plutonian would be a bunch of meshes and texture and then a level file
[11:34] Gavin.Hird TBH , I am not sure what the business model is for them
[11:34] Andrew.Hellershanks people also made bad mesh objects.
[11:35] Ubit.Umarov tell me about it :p
[11:35] vegaslon.plutonian I bet they will have a entire experience vertex limit.
[11:36] Unknown UserUMMAU42: and possibly a texture limit too
[11:36] Gavin.Hird if you desining for the Rift, you must be on a tight budget
[11:36] Andrew.Hellershanks I could toss a 6Meg Millennium Falcon model at them and see how they handle it.
[11:36] vegaslon.plutonian or just a entire level package file size limit
[11:36] Ogeywon.Stromfield :)
[11:36] Ubit.Umarov it they want more than 60fps full 3D they can't have non optimized content
[11:37] Gavin.Hird the Rift needs 90
[11:37] Gavin.Hird to avoid motion sickness
[11:38] Gavin.Hird it will be interesting to see if there is any market at all for it
[11:38] Andrew.Hellershanks Bottom line is that all the things LL is doing may wind up giving OpenSim based grids a boost when people leave SL.
[11:38] Gavin.Hird yep
[11:38] Gavin.Hird content compatibility
[11:38] Gavin.Hird same concept
[11:39] Andrew.Hellershanks nods
[11:39] Ogeywon.Stromfield can OSG handle that many
[11:39] Gavin.Hird NO
[11:39] Gavin.Hird not in one instance
[11:39] Gavin.Hird maybe a 1000 connected grids
[11:39] Ubit.Umarov how many users SL actually has now?
[11:40] Andrew.Hellershanks It will free the OpenSim and TPV developers to change things at both ends to make changes and add features without having to worry about compatibility with some other system.
[11:40] Gavin.Hird concurrency on SL is between 17k and 55k at any time of the day
[11:40] Gavin.Hird they have about 950k active users
[11:41] Andrew.Hellershanks To bring things back to OpenSim for a bit perhaps Ubit can give us an update on how the inventory issue he was working on this past week.
[11:42] Andrew.Hellershanks Ubit, how did the testing go on the changes you were making?
[11:42] Ubit.Umarov well i was messing up http ..
[11:42] Gavin.Hird hehe
[11:42] Andrew.Hellershanks :)
[11:42] Ubit.Umarov only did a few minor changes on inventory... cleanup basicly
[11:43] Ubit.Umarov and region side
[11:43] Andrew.Hellershanks From what I saw of the development and testing you were doing, you have improved (ie. reduced) the loading time for inventory?
[11:43] Ubit.Umarov what i see on inv its a pain slow osg response
[11:44] Gavin.Hird is that specific to OSG?
[11:44] Ubit.Umarov there was a code change that made no sense in win.. but may mean something on mono
[11:45] Ubit.Umarov seems it did speed up it a bit on linux regions..
[11:46] Gavin.Hird I am on the change before c9bd6f
[11:46] Ubit.Umarov i'm only testing here at osg
[11:46] Andrew.Hellershanks I'm only running regions in Linux when using my standalone
[11:46] Gavin.Hird and it is loading inventory slower
[11:46] Ubit.Umarov tons of slow requests  :)
[11:47] Sheera Khan: yes I see those too
[11:47] Gavin.Hird you can see it on initial login that the built in AO fails to initialize, and the avatar looks like threading water
[11:48] Ubit.Umarov avatar likes to have the COF now
[11:48] Gavin.Hird COF = ?
[11:48] Andrew.Hellershanks COF?
[11:48] Ubit.Umarov current outfit
[11:49] Gavin.Hird yep
[11:49] Gavin.Hird and I am pretty sure Diva did some changes in 0.8.2 to speed that up
[11:49] Ubit.Umarov those are on 0.9
[11:49] Gavin.Hird after she made some radical changes to inventory loading
[11:50] George.Equus I have tons of slow requests as well...
[11:50] Gavin.Hird but the most current version is slower than a week ago
[11:50] Ubit.Umarov they are on 0.9... get multiples things on each request to grid
[11:51] Ubit.Umarov before is was a folish one at a time request
[11:52] Sheera Khan: HTTP should ease that as you can make a persistant connection like it is in a webserver
[11:52] Ubit.Umarov so each viewer request now means one or 2 to the grid and not tons
[11:52] Gavin.Hird most grids don't serve content over http
[11:53] Ubit.Umarov no there is a limit on how many connections a server ( grid for example) can have
[11:53] Sheera Khan: yes but since LL is switching to http I guess we have to follow suit in near future ...
[11:53] Gavin.Hird the more I think about it, the more I think that serving content from a single point over http is a disaster for a distributed grid like OSG
[11:53] Ubit.Umarov opensim does grid requests using http
[11:53] Gavin.Hird in many cases you have to drag the content half around the world
[11:53] Gavin.Hird from the asset server
[11:54] Gavin.Hird while most users will be local to the region server they are on
[11:54] Gavin.Hird mening the delivery path is much shorter
[11:54] Ubit.Umarov well at least assest are cached on a region
[11:54] Sheera Khan: that's where the region caches should be helpful
[11:54] Ubit.Umarov ( not inventory for obvius reasons :) )
[11:54] Gavin.Hird but the region cache does not serve anything http
[11:55] Ubit.Umarov it doesn't ?
[11:55] Gavin.Hird I don't think so
[11:55] Ubit.Umarov of course it does
[11:55] Gavin.Hird why is that of course
[11:55] Sheera Khan: oh?
[11:55] Ubit.Umarov if you ask for a mesh or text, it cames from the local cache
[11:55] Ubit.Umarov if there of course
[11:55] Sheera Khan: we were told different last time
[11:56] Gavin.Hird the viewer will load content from the inventory caps url
[11:56] Sheera Khan: at least as far as I got it ...
[11:56] vegaslon.plutonian you can setup a region to request directly to the asset server but that was only done for the oscc regions
[11:56] Gavin.Hird if that is a http url, it will go back to the asset server
[11:56] Ubit.Umarov path checks: viewer cache - region cache... grid assets
[11:56] Gavin.Hird some will be cached from the viewer cache
[11:56] Gavin.Hird but not the region cache
[11:57] Gavin.Hird I am reasonably sure this path is for UDP only path checks: viewer cache - region cache... grid assets
[11:58] Ubit.Umarov http also
[11:58] Ubit.Umarov it's on the region assets find code.. doesn't matter if udp or http
[11:58] Gavin.Hird what is the http address of the region cache?
[11:58] Ubit.Umarov what http address ?
[11:58] Gavin.Hird to get the content from the local region cache
[11:59] Ubit.Umarov there is no address
[11:59] Ubit.Umarov when you ask for a mesh, region tries to get it from the cache, before asking to grid
[11:59] Gavin.Hird so the viewer with http content goes to viewer cache, then to http asset server
[12:00] Ubit.Umarov viewer should not go to asset server, but to region.. that is the normal thing
[12:00] Gavin.Hird that is one of the big changes in the viewer code that LL has implemented
[12:00] Gavin.Hird which is in all FS and latest Kokua
[12:00] Ubit.Umarov that is not used on opensim ( unless you change some options )
[12:00] Gavin.Hird Alchemy too
[12:01] Ubit.Umarov nopes.. in normal configurations assets came from the region
[12:01] Gavin.Hird when the viewer is told via caps that inventory is served via localhost, your path is correct
[12:01] Gavin.Hird that was how it used to work always
[12:02] Gavin.Hird when the viewer get a http address for inventory it does not query the region server
[12:02] Ubit.Umarov if you change that you loose the region cache and only stress grid
[12:02] Gavin.Hird that is the resopn why OSGrid is so slow
[12:02] Ubit.Umarov not sure it's a good option for normal grids.. but well..
[12:03] Gavin.Hird because as more and more viewer go directly to the http asset server
[12:03] Unknown UserUMMAU42: It makes sense for LL I guess - moving load off the region servers onto a mega asset server CDN
[12:03] Gavin.Hird it increase the load on it
[12:03] Ubit.Umarov default is using localhost
[12:03] Gavin.Hird default is using localhost
[12:03] Ubit.Umarov yeap it does at sl
[12:03] Gavin.Hird but you cannot serve http content via localhost
[12:04] Gavin.Hird you set a http address in Robust
[12:04] Gavin.Hird that the viewer will query
[12:04] Sheera Khan: which setting do we talk about exactly? Is it in OpenSim.ini of the region?
[12:04] Gavin.Hird lemme check
[12:05] Ubit.Umarov on robust you need to tell the access points for regions, eventualy viewers..
[12:06] Ubit.Umarov imo with current robust, viewers should stay out of grid.. but never actually tested
[12:06] Ubit.Umarov it is a none sense..
[12:07] Ubit.Umarov using regions means a load distribution
[12:08] Ubit.Umarov SL has a akamay or whatver the name cache near everyone
[12:08] Gavin.Hird in OpenSim,ini
[12:08] Gavin.Hird you have 2 settings
[12:08] Gavin.Hird Cap_GetTexture = ""
 ; Cap_GetTexture = "localhost"
Cap_GetMesh = "localhost"
[12:08] Gavin.Hird if these two are set to a http address and not localhost
[12:08] Gavin.Hird it will always go to that address to get any content
[12:09] Ubit.Umarov that was your choice
[12:09] Gavin.Hird if set to localhost, the old mechanisms will work
[12:09] Gavin.Hird and it will be served via the region cachem
[12:09] Ubit.Umarov "old" ? whatever
[12:09] Gavin.Hird yes old
[12:10] Gavin.Hird remember there has been a massive change in viewer behavior over the last year
[12:10] Gavin.Hird as everyone has scrambled to implement LLs http code
[12:10] Simulator Version v0.5 ruft: OpenSim Dev 9b4e83c: 2016-07-17 16:21:37 +0100 (Unix/Mono)
[12:10] Ubit.Umarov that made sense if you do have a big professional http service grid side
[12:11] Gavin.Hird in that code does not get anything from the region server
[12:11] Gavin.Hird they will turn the old behavior off in their infrastructure in early Q4
[12:12] Gavin.Hird so when the viewer sees on OSGrid a http address for textures and mesh in the caps, it goes to the OSG asset server for eveything
[12:12] Ubit.Umarov viewers handle both now
[12:12] Gavin.Hird viewer default to http
[12:12] Unknown UserUMMAU42: is that how OSG is currently setup?
[12:12] Gavin.Hird now
[12:12] Ubit.Umarov and will need to keep doing that to work on opensim
[12:13] Gavin.Hird which is why we have split the Kokua code to keep it so
[12:13] Gavin.Hird but the LL viewers will only use http
[12:13] Ubit.Umarov http? what a mess
[12:13] Gavin.Hird yes
[12:13] Ubit.Umarov we are not talking about udp versus http
[12:13] Gavin.Hird they will turn off UDP in 4Q
[12:13] Ubit.Umarov we are talking about http
[12:14] Gavin.Hird all content served from the region host is UDP in OpenSim
[12:14] Ubit.Umarov and if http uses region or goes directly to grid
[12:14] Ubit.Umarov and i'm telling you that by default it uses region
[12:14] Unknown UserUMMAU42: is that fixed in the viewer when the CAP is localhost?
[12:14] Gavin.Hird yes it is
[12:14] Ubit.Umarov if you change that.. that is your thing
[12:15] Ubit Umarov: may be better... most likely NOT
[12:15] Ubit Umarov: unless you have special needs or something a lot better than Robust
[12:15] Gavin.Hird the lastet viewers have http set for all content as default
[12:16] Ubit Umarov: WHO IS TALKING ABOUT UDP ??
[12:16] Gavin.Hird I am
[12:16] Gavin.Hird the viewer does not get any content from the region host (cache) unless over UDP
[12:17] Gavin.Hird if the viewer is set to load textures and content over http, it goes directly to the asset server
[12:17] Ubit Umarov: you are wrong and i don't want to waste more time on this anymore
[12:18] Gavin.Hird no I am not
[12:18] Ubit Umarov: use the default config and see
[12:18] Gavin.Hird what default config
[12:18] Gavin.Hird the viewer defaultconfig is now http
[12:19] Andrew Hellershanks: I need to get going. If you want to keep the meeting going a bit longer, please do so. Sheera is still logging the meeting.
[12:19] Ubit Umarov: ...
[12:19] Ubit Umarov: Cap_GetTexture = "localhost"
Cap_GetMesh = "localhost"
[12:19] Ubit Umarov: ...
[12:20] Ubit Umarov: don't mess with that unless you understand what you're doing..
[12:20] Gavin.Hird yes, that is the OpenSim default
[12:20] Gavin.Hird but
[12:20] Gavin.Hird OSgrid does not run like that
[12:23] Jak Daniels: I have Cap_GetMesh = "localhost" and Cap_GetTexture = "localhost" in my Opensim.ini s on my OSG regions
[12:23] Ubit Umarov: that is the normal default, that osg also uses
[12:25] Ubit Umarov: see
[12:25] Gavin.Hird has that been changed for 0.9
[12:26] Gavin.Hird as the default for OSgrid?
[12:26] Ubit Umarov: i don't make the osg configs... ask dan
[12:27] Ubit Umarov: just dont remember osg ever having other option on that
[12:27] Jak Daniels: they're set to localhost in the current opensim.ini version downloadable from OSG
[12:27] Ubit Umarov: bc doesn't make much sense with robust
[12:27] Ubit Umarov: it is not a very fast http server
[12:28] Gavin.Hird
[12:28] Gavin.Hird a lot of people changed after JustinCC write this
[12:28] Gavin.Hird so that rather than localhost, they configured the caps with http
[12:28] Gavin.Hird going directly to the asset server
[12:28] Tannoy OSgrider: without all set in viewer to http inventory never loaded at SL or here for me
[12:29] Ubit Umarov: yes that option is avaiable
[12:29] Gavin.Hird SL will not load without http set
[12:30] Gavin.Hird it still will to a certain extent
[12:30] Ubit Umarov: i'm not speaking about udp... only http... udp still works in opensim
[12:30] Gavin.Hird yes Ubit, but the UDP support is being removed in the code base
[12:30] vegaslon plutonian: just looked at a osgrid region.ini from 2013 and it was set localhost then too.
[12:30] Ubit Umarov: and some viewers to backoff to udp if http fails
[12:30] Gavin.Hird which is why we have split Kokua so we can preserve UDP support
[12:31] Ubit Umarov: but that is another issue :)
[12:31] Gavin.Hird the SL version of Kokua will not have UDP support
[12:31] Ubit Umarov: well we do suport http now
[12:31] Ubit Umarov: ( udp js just a safe thing to keep when we mess up http ;) )
[12:32] Gavin.Hird if you try to use the LL http code to access OpenSim grids, the viewer crash pretty fast after initial login
[12:32] Sheera.Khan and that is HTTP to the region cache as I get it?
[12:32] Ubit Umarov: regions try to cache things..
[12:32] Ubit Umarov: ( exception is inventory )
[12:33] Gavin.Hird if the viewer gets localhost in the caps it uses UDP
[12:33] Ubit Umarov: MAN that option is for the region!!
[12:33] Gavin.Hird also the viewer
[12:33] Ubit Umarov: well whatever
[12:33] Jak Daniels: Does the viewer use http if http_pipeling debug setting is on and the CAP is localhost?
[12:33] Gavin.Hird that is how the viewers behave
[12:34] Ubit Umarov: i've it localhost in my viewers use http...
[12:34] Ubit Umarov: if yours don't.. don't know
[12:34] Gavin.Hird if it sees localhost in the caps, all communication with the region host is via UDP
[12:34] Gavin.Hird for inventory
[12:34] Sheera.Khan and assets?
[12:34] Jak Daniels: in my prefs there is tick box for use http for textures and inventory
[12:35] Gavin.Hird assets = inventory
[12:35] Jak Daniels: does that work with localhost CAP?
[12:35] Ubit Umarov: assets != inventory
[12:35] Tannoy OSgrider: so viewer doesn't respect settings for localhost?
[12:35] Gavin.Hird it can't
[12:36] Gavin.Hird there is no functionality to get assets from localhost via http
[12:37] Ubit Umarov: guess FS and singu have a problem them.. bc they work fine :)
[12:37] Gavin.Hird Ubit what is the http address of asset server served via localhost?
[12:37] Sheera.Khan is a http server in our region servers.... wouldn't the viewer just need an URL to that to get the desired assets from the region cache?
[12:38] Ubit Umarov: if you set that option to localhost, viewer is told to get assets from the region
[12:38] Gavin.Hird yes via UDP
[12:38] Ubit Umarov: http
[12:38] vegaslon plutonian: http address would be something like "yourserverip:9000"
[12:38] Gavin.Hird UDP
[12:39] Ubit Umarov: well i've no more time to waste on this
[12:39] Jak Daniels: surely 'localhost' is just a placeholder name to mean local cache then region server... can the viewer not use the same type of call over http that it does to a grid asset server, but to the region server?
[12:39] Gavin.Hird Jak there is no functionality in the viewer for that
[12:39] Ubit Umarov: on that opensim code is working as it suposed to..
[12:40] Gavin.Hird if the viewer will get the caps served to localhost, it will switch to UDP
[12:41] Gavin.Hird all viewers since day one do that
[12:41] Sheera.Khan well, but that could be changed now we know the region is capable of working with http, isn't it?
[12:41] Gavin.Hird then you set the caps to a wellformed http address
[12:41] Ubit Umarov: as i said ...
[12:42] Ubit Umarov: [12:38] Ubit Umarov: if you set that option to localhost, viewer is told to get assets from the region
[12:42] Sheera.Khan just theoretically: if I set that cap_-string to a wellformed URL it should work?
[12:42] Gavin.Hird you can try it
[12:42] Gavin.Hird I never got it work
[12:42] Ubit Umarov: rl calls
[12:42] Ubit Umarov: have fun :)
[12:42] Gavin.Hird unless it is set up like in that article I linked to
[12:44] Jak Daniels: so something like http://regionserverip:9000/CAPS/GetTexture/ ?
[12:44] Jak Daniels: or is that endpoint only served by robust?
[12:45] vegaslon plutonian: or something like http://localhost/?texture_id=00000000-0000-1111-9999-000000000012
[12:46] vegaslon plutonian: localhost turning into serverip:9000 on most cases
[12:47] Sheera.Khan well we would know if the server and viewer developers understood each other better ...
[12:47] Jak Daniels: oh well, I guess I'm gonna stay confused about all that. Don't know who to believe now lol...
[12:49] Jak Daniels: but at least they're talking to one another....:)

Personal tools
About This Wiki