Chat log from the meeting on 2016-01-19

From OpenSimulator

Jump to: navigation, search
[10:59] Boba Solo: got a ferd horse A
[11:00] Lucy Afarensis: yes it really works well
[11:00] Lucy Afarensis: can teleport with it
[11:00] Lucy Afarensis: crosses sim boundaries with no problems
[11:02] Andrew Hellershanks: Did you make the horse?
[[11:03] Lucy Afarensis: Oh no Ferd Bechausen made him
[11:03] Lucy Afarensis: You can get copies at Verunga
[11:04] Lucy Afarensis: Outworldz
[11:05] Lucy Afarensis: He does some amazing animations
[11:05] Lucy Afarensis: He has monkeys that chase you
[11:05] Andrew Hellershanks: Um... I'm not sure I would want that. :)
[11:05] Lucy Afarensis: its all virtual ☻
[11:06] Richardus.Raymaker lol. did we not have enough monkeys ?
[11:07] Kayaker Magic: Is Nebanon going to be here today?
[11:07] Andrew Hellershanks: I've sent him a couple reminders. I haven't heard any response yet so I'm not counting on him to be here this week.
[11:07] Kayaker Magic: He was traveling in Rl last week I recall...
[11:07] Lucy Afarensis: Do I dare use that here Boba ?
[11:08] Andrew Hellershanks: Kayaker, yes. He still is on his travels
[11:08] Lucy Afarensis: I am trying to be dignified and professional
[11:09] Kayaker Magic: Last week I asked if anyone knew anything about llCastRay
[11:10] Lucy Afarensis: that blew it for me
[11:10] Kayaker Magic: There are three (I think) versions you can select in the INI file.
[11:10] Kayaker Magic: I'm testing it and submitting mantises
[11:10] Andrew Hellershanks: Kayaker, I never got a response when I asked in the IRC channel about who is working on llCastRay
[11:10] Kayaker Magic: but which one should I test? What are the differences between them?
[11:11] Boba Solo: ones good,, ones bad,, one is Ugly
[11:11] Kayaker Magic: lol
[11:11] Kayaker Magic: yes, but which is which?
[11:11] Andrew Hellershanks: Three versions of llCastRay??
[11:11] Boba Solo: I have run into only one
[11:11] Kayaker Magic: V1 runs verrrrryyyy sllloooowly on var regions
[11:12] Kayaker Magic: There is a line in the INI file for switching between them.
[11:12] Kayaker Magic: V3 is very nice, but detects phantom prims when you tell it not to.
[11:12] Boba Solo: in the default ini
[11:12] Kayaker Magic: the devfault is V1, which takes up to 700ms to run in a var region!!!!
[11:13] Boba Solo: opensim default .ini
[11:13] Boba Solo: it tells of working out the box as well if I remember
[11:13] Kayaker Magic: I guess I'll submit mantises (manttusi?) for all of them until they get tired of me and fix one of them!
[11:14] Boba Solo: lol
[11:16] Andrew Hellershanks: I see that you can enable V3 llCastRay. If that isn't on it either doesn't do llCastRay or uses a different version.
[11:16] Kayaker Magic: The default is V1
[11:16] Kayaker Magic: V1 is very primitive, it can only detect the axis alligned bounding box of an object
[11:17] Kayaker Magic: So it "sees" things everywhere in crowded spaces.
[11:18] Boba Solo:
[11:19] Kayaker Magic: Is there a v2???
[11:20] Boba Solo: havent seen one
[11:20] Boba Solo: maybe in SL
[11:20] Andrew Hellershanks: Not that I can tell from that ini file.
[11:20] Boba Solo: or a addon
[11:20] Boba Solo: just double clic it
[11:21] Richardus.Raymaker i still not got it right in sl too. never tried it anymore too
[11:21] Boba Solo: it will enlarge it
[11:21] Andrew Hellershanks: V3 may refer to the viewer type. The original V1 viewer, the briefly available V2 style, and the current V3 ones.
[11:22] Kayaker Magic: I remember hearing (here) that V3 llcastray would be slower. Because V1 has speed problems with var regions, V3 is usually FASTER for me.
[11:24] Andrew Hellershanks: Kayaker, If you have specific questions or concerns about llCastRay you can ask about it on the mailing list.
[11:24] Kayaker Magic: Good idea
[11:24] Andrew Hellershanks: I think that will be your best bet to getting an answer.
[11:25] Andrew Hellershanks: Doesn't seem to be anyone here working on it and I didn't get any responses on the IRC channel when I asked about it.
[11:25] Kayaker Magic: V3 was a big surprise to me, it means someone is working on it!
[11:27] Andrew Hellershanks: Another opion is to check the git log to see who has been working on that feature.
[11:29] Andrew Hellershanks: The last person who touched something in llCastRay in the LSL_Api.cs file was Ubit.
[11:30] Andrew Hellershanks: Anyone else have any issue they wish to discuss?
[11:30] Andrew Hellershanks: I have one item which I didn't get around to mentioning last week.
[11:32] Andrew Hellershanks: If anyone here is using the add-on OpenSimSearch module I pushed a minor change about a week ago. It fixes an issue with searching event listings in-world, and seeing event markers on the map.
[11:33] Boba Solo: [11:22] Cuteulala Artis: i just realoised i sent all this crap to wrong window for fuck sakew lol
[11:36] Andrew Hellershanks: I've done a bit more work this past week to summarize the changes in the code resulting from the big code dump from Avination. I've gone through about 400 lines but I still have about 2,000 more to go.
[11:36] Kayaker Magic: whew!
[11:36] Boba Solo: super Andrew
[11:36] Boba Solo: goos job glade someone is
[11:36] Andrew Hellershanks: I'm trying to organize the summary into categories. I have about 14 catageries so far.
[11:36] Kayaker Magic: what is the status of border crossing vehicles? Are they supposed to work in 0.9?
[11:37] Andrew Hellershanks: I'm not sure if they are 100% yet but they should have gotten a lot better. There was a code patch applied a while ago to address vehicle crossings.
[11:39] Kayaker Magic: I've paddled a kayak across a SIM border in Avination. In OpenSim 0.7 doing that would unseat you, get the vehicle stuck in the border, move the avatar to <0,0,0>, crash your viewer, crash your simulator.
[11:40] Richardus.Raymaker 0.7 is not a good com[pare i think
[11:40] Kayaker Magic: but nobody was working on border crossings since then, the AVN dump is the first glimmer of hope.
[11:40] Andrew Hellershanks: 0.7? That's ancient. :)
[11:40] Richardus.Raymaker and the can betetr work on beter var's instead of simborder crossings that i expect never work good. unless the server are strong and close togheter
[11:42] Kayaker Magic: Lots of people have server clusters that would be appropriate
[11:42] Kayaker Magic: InWorldz has been working on this problem for years with some success.
[11:43] Boba Solo: inworldz has done alot but have forked away from opensim
[11:43] Andrew Hellershanks: Yes.
[11:43] Boba Solo: there almost a differant animal
[11:44] Kayaker Magic: Yes, but they started from a version that could not cross vehicles and they added that.
[11:44] Boba Solo: true
[11:44] Andrew Hellershanks: It doesn't help the OpenSim if they have fixes for region crossing that aren't already in OpenSim and choose not to make their changes available, or can't because their code is too different.
[11:44] Boba Solo: but nothing that could or would be spun into core I would thank
[11:45] Andrew Hellershanks: Kayaker, Have you tried vehicle crossings in this grid recently?
[11:45] Sheera.Khan Oh, their server is opensource now
[11:45] Sheera.Khan but as Andrew mentioned: far away from 0.9
[11:45] Boba Solo: yes I looked at it and wowsers
[11:46] Kayaker Magic: Have not tried it. Because of past hassles, I am afraid of SIM borders....
[11:46] Boba Solo: I used to be but it's differant now
[11:46] Andrew Hellershanks: I wanted to build somehing in IW and found their code doesn't handles prim link order. in a different fashion than OpenSim.
[11:47] Kayaker Magic: Oh? I found their prim link order was compatible.
[11:47] Kayaker Magic: At least as far as avatars vs prims goes.
11:48] Kayaker Magic: Besides where seated avatars go, it is best practice to never count on prim link order.
[11:48] Andrew Hellershanks: Join two link sets and the prim numbers are sort of all over the place, although the pattern is known.
[11:49] Kayaker Magic: I alway (in changed) re-scan the prim link order and find the ones I need.
[11:49] Andrew Hellershanks: IIRC, prims with link order 1234 and 1234 when joined become 15678234
[11:50] Kayaker Magic: that is LL gospel order, but I just never count on it.
[11:50] Boba Solo: my days still dry
[11:50] Andrew Hellershanks: Kayaker, yes, you can name or number prims but that isn't always convenient in some situtations.
[11:50] Arielle.Popstar good to hear Bob
[11:50] Boba Solo: yes 3 years
[11:50] Arielle.Popstar wow
[11:50] Boba Solo: im pleased
[11:50] Arielle.Popstar congrats
[11:51] Arielle.Popstar this the dev meeting i take it?
[11:51] Lucy Afarensis: yup
[11:52] Arielle.Popstar Neb not around?
[11:52] Sheera.Khan I'll do, ty Andrew
[11:52] Andrew Hellershanks: Nebadon is usually here to oversee the meeting but he is away on business.
[11:52] Boba Solo: he is in Swerland
[11:52] Arielle.Popstar ah ok
[11:52] Boba Solo: playing with snow bunnys
[11:53] Arielle.Popstar :)
[11:53] Boba Solo: im sure haven way good time
[11:53] Boba Solo: either way
[11:53] Boba Solo: think it's dark most the day there now ?
[11:53] Boba Solo: but lots of sking
[11:53] Boba Solo: and hot tubs
[11:54] Arielle.Popstar anything new going on with development?
[11:54] Andrew Hellershanks: Its almost the top of the hour. Does anyone else have any topic they wish to discuss?
[11:55] Andrew Hellershanks: Arielles, Umm...always something. :)
[11:55] Arielle.Popstar true
[11:55] Arielle.Popstar guess i will read some of the past chat logs to catch up
[11:55] Sheera.Khan are there any hints on best practises how to set the environment variables for best performance?
[11:55] Andrew Hellershanks: I haven't been following the latest developments that closely of late. I've been working on a couple of other projects.
[11:55] Arielle.Popstar wish there was someone keeping a record of the irc chat logs
[11:56] Sheera.Khan I heard that 0.9 actually handles threads a little different and observes limits imposed to mono ...
[11:56] Andrew Hellershanks: Sheera, there are a couple of environment variables for use in a *nix environment. I don't know about settings for Windows.
[11:57] Sheera.Khan I'm working with linux too
[11:57] Richardus.Raymaker Hmm,. i hope that is not giving problems on windows
[11:57] Sheera.Khan are the recommendations for elder releases valid for 0.9 too?
[11:57] Andrew Hellershanks: Arielle, You can check in to that. Many IRC channels have archives.
[11:58] Andrew Hellershanks: Sheera, the only settings I've been told about are:
[11:58] Andrew Hellershanks: #The following is used for Open Simulator when run via mono
export MONO_GC_PARAMS=nursery-size=64m
[11:58] Arielle.Popstar not heard or ever seen one for openim-dev
[11:58] Boba Solo: Arielle I wouldn't load 0.9 less you want pandoras box opened
[11:58] Arielle.Popstar oh really?
[11:58] Boba Solo: no
[11:58] Sheera.Khan those two I use also
[11:58] Arielle.Popstar thats with alll mels changes?
[11:58] Boba Solo: im running it and it sucks
[11:59] Boba Solo: long story short
[11:59] Boba Solo: it's borked till furthure notice
[11:59] Arielle.Popstar is she working on the bugs?
[11:59] Arielle.Popstar or is Ubit ?
[11:59] Boba Solo: hec no
[11:59] Boba Solo: Ubit
[11:59] Boba Solo: and Darkfry
[11:59] Boba Solo: and quite as church mice
[11:59] Andrew Hellershanks: OS does make heavy use of threads. There has been some attempts to improves its use of threads but its not an easy thing to do.
[12:00] Andrew Hellershanks: Sheera, the only other thing related to threads is to run BulletSim physics in its own thread.
[12:01] Sheera.Khan I'll look into that Andrew :-)
[12:01] Arielle.Popstar Sheena, is that other distro called...Arriba still being updated?
[12:01] Arielle.Popstar will stop off at your grid soon
[12:01] Sheera.Khan I haven't heard much about Arriba since quite some time
[12:01] Boba Solo: U2 Arielle
[12:02] Arielle.Popstar ahh ok, thought there were a few in metro running it
[12:02] Richardus.Raymaker i think some in metro do
[12:02] Sheera.Khan most Arriba users left Metropolis grid as we had to throttle them a bit down on the servers
[12:02] Andrew Hellershanks: Most people are leaving so we might as well call the meeting at this time. Nebadon should be back with us next week, afaik.
[12:02] Arielle.Popstar oh ok
[12:03] Sheera Khan: they flooded the asset and grid services with huge amounts of requests
[12:03] Arielle.Popstar ok thx for the update. I been searching for up to date info on it but was not finding any
[12:03] Sheera Khan: OpenSim does throttle the requests on its own
[12:04] Arielle.Popstar didnt the dev join opensim itself?
[12:04] Andrew Hellershanks: Didn't the who do what now?  :)
[12:04] Richardus.Raymaker sounds like bad ariba design
[12:04] Arielle.Popstar thought i read something on that a while back\
[12:04] Sheera Khan: No, Freaky Tech didn't join the Core team :-(
[12:04] Arielle.Popstar ahh
[12:05] Arielle.Popstar he seemed pretty good at it
[12:05] Sheera Khan: the Arriba runs quite well, and with a smaller grid everything is ok
[12:05] Sheera Khan: it's ok with closed grids too
[12:06] Sheera Khan: but what didn't work out is our mix of low speed home servers totally pushed aside by those fast Arribas on well connected servers
[12:07] Arielle.Popstar nod, so it didnt play well with others
[12:07] Andrew Hellershanks: I don't know what you were referring to by Arribas
[12:07] Arielle.Popstar another opensim distro
[12:07] Arielle.Popstar branch
[12:07] Andrew Hellershanks: ah, ok.
[12:07] Sheera Khan: there's a fork of OpenSim by Freaky Tech
[12:07] Andrew Hellershanks: yet another one.
[12:07] Sheera Khan: called Arriba Sims
[12:07] Arielle.Popstar it is pretty good
[12:08] Arielle.Popstar are you working on opensim Andrew?
[12:08] Arielle.Popstar or other projects taking most of your time/.\
[12:08] Sheera Khan: he cleaned up a bit and pruned some stuff and it is running reasonably well - but it stopped at a 0.8.0isch time
[12:09] Andrew Hellershanks: Sometimes. I don't get that much in to the main OS code. I work on smaller bits, or more self-contained things.
[12:09] Sheera Khan: so it's getting dated..
[12:09] Arielle.Popstar ok so i do have the most up to date of it then
[12:09] Andrew Hellershanks: Mostly the OpenSimSearch and OpenSimProfile modules
[12:09] Andrew Hellershanks: I do have a number of other projects also needing my attention.
[12:09] Arielle.Popstar nod
[12:10] Sheera Khan: I have to admit that I don't follow Freaky closely though
[12:10] Arielle.Popstar so mostly Ubit doing main at this time?
[12:10] Sheera Khan: It may well be that he did release more recent stuff
[12:10] Andrew Hellershanks: I finished one of the projects I have on Hack A Day websie. I still have another one I'm working on.
[12:10] Arielle.Popstar Freaky still involved then in some capacity?
[12:10] Sheera Khan: it may well be...
[12:11] Sheera Khan: at least he's actively supporting those who use his fork
[12:11] Arielle.Popstar ok
[12:11] Sheera Khan: but as most Arriba users left Metropolis I don't get to see those regions often ^^
[12:11] Arielle.Popstar nod
[12:11] Arielle.Popstar understandable\
Personal tools
About This Wiki