Chat log from the meeting on 2010-09-21

From OpenSimulator

Revision as of 19:46, 3 March 2012 by MakoBot (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

[17:49] Jaroslav Leitner is Online
[17:52] BlueWall Slade has entered chat range (13.5m)
[17:52] BlueWall Slade: Hi Neb
[17:52] Nebadon Izumi: hey, hello
[17:53] BlueWall Slade: how's it going?
[17:53] Nebadon Izumi: things are good
[17:53] BlueWall Slade: cool
[17:53] BlueWall Slade: do you see me?
[17:53] Nebadon Izumi: ya
[17:53] Nebadon Izumi: though no textures yet
[17:53] BlueWall Slade: do I have on clothes?
[17:53] BlueWall Slade: ok
[17:53] BlueWall Slade: I see me naked as a jaybird
[17:54] Nebadon Izumi: heh
[17:54] BlueWall Slade looks for the barrel
[17:54] BlueWall Slade: I got the search working
[17:55] BlueWall Slade: I didn't realize you have to go into the estate to set the maturity level
[17:55] Nebadon Izumi: what did you set it too?
[17:55] BlueWall Slade: PG
[17:55] Entering god mode, level 255
[17:56] BlueWall Slade: the field in the database said Mature
[17:56] Master Dubrovna: Hi guys
[17:56] BlueWall Slade: Hello
[17:56] Nebadon Izumi: wierd
[17:56] Nebadon Izumi: i never changed that
[17:56] Nebadon Izumi: oh you know why maybe
[17:56] BlueWall Slade: me either
[17:56] Nebadon Izumi: i think all the viewers are in PG by default
[17:56] Nebadon Izumi: you can either do what you did
[17:57] BlueWall Slade: well, it flagged the parcel as Mature
[17:57] Nebadon Izumi: or have everyone change their viewer to adult/mature
[17:57] Nebadon Izumi: ya
[17:57] BlueWall Slade: and the php file is looking for Adult or PG
[17:57] BlueWall Slade: so it never found the record
[17:57] Nebadon Izumi: hmm
[17:57] Nebadon Izumi: in your viewer preferences
[17:57] BlueWall Slade: then, after setting it in the estate settings, it found it
[17:57] Nebadon Izumi: on the General Tab
[17:57] BlueWall Slade: nahh
[17:57] Nebadon Izumi: what is your Rating set for?
[17:58] Kenneth Rougeau: Sorry to interrupt, but can either of yo thinkof a reason I wouldn't "have permisson" toedit my own ppearace? it's a bit frustrating lol
[17:58] Nebadon Izumi: Kenneth you have to make a Shape in your inventory 1st
[17:58] Nebadon Izumi: then wear it
[17:58] BlueWall Slade: PG and Mature
[17:58] Nebadon Izumi: thats why Bluewall
[17:58] BlueWall Slade: ok
[17:58] Nebadon Izumi: i think
[17:58] Kenneth Rougeau: Ah, I see. Thanks so much!
[17:58] Nebadon Izumi: we should talk to plug about that
[17:59] Nebadon Izumi: and also Imprudence guys
[17:59] Nebadon Izumi: about having the viewer be Adult/Mature/PG by default
[17:59] BlueWall Slade: I put te profile module in, and all of it works good now
[17:59] BlueWall Slade: I can even make classifieds
[17:59] Nebadon Izumi: interesting
[17:59] Nebadon Izumi: thats good to know
[17:59] Nebadon Izumi: in 0.7 right?
[17:59] Richardus Raymaker is Online
[17:59] BlueWall Slade: yes, head
[17:59] Nebadon Izumi: ok great
[17:59] Nebadon Izumi: i'll have to set that up today
[17:59] Nebadon Izumi: i wonder how hard it will be to migrate the existing profile data into that module
[18:00] BlueWall Slade: maybe not hard
[18:00] Nebadon Izumi: coll
[18:00] Nebadon Izumi: cool*
[18:00] Nebadon Izumi: im gonna look at that later
[18:00] BlueWall Slade: I am working on 1 region grid
[18:00] BlueWall Slade: fresh everything
[18:00] Nebadon Izumi: nice
[18:00] Nebadon Izumi: ya same here
[18:00] BlueWall Slade: I'm working on getting Simian running too
[18:00] Nebadon Izumi: Danger grid is currently 100% fresh
[18:00] BlueWall Slade: that is close
[18:00] Nebadon Izumi: nice
[18:01] Nebadon Izumi: we are ordering a new server today
[18:01] BlueWall Slade: whooohoo
[18:01] Nebadon Izumi: to replace the ESC server
[18:01] Master Dubrovna: cool
[18:01] Justin Clark-Casey is Online
[18:01] BlueWall Slade: are you still using their net?
[18:01] Master Dubrovna: What are you ordering?
[18:01] Nebadon Izumi: heh ya
[18:01] Nebadon Izumi: same server still
[18:01] Jaroslav Leitner is Offline
[18:01] BlueWall Slade: lol
[18:01] Nebadon Izumi: things getting old
[18:01] Master Dubrovna: k
[18:01] Nebadon Izumi: ah were ordering a Quad Core
[18:01] Master Dubrovna: nice
[18:01] Nebadon Izumi: Q9300 2.5ghz with 8gb ram
[18:01] Richardus Raymaker: very nice
[18:01] Nebadon Izumi: 2x 500gb RAID 1 SATA
[18:01] BlueWall Slade: nice one
[18:02] Nebadon Izumi: 100mb net
[18:02] Master Dubrovna: sweet
[18:02] Master Dubrovna: Linux OS?
[18:02] BlueWall Slade: Hi justin
[18:02] Justin Clark-Casey: Hi everyone
[18:02] Nebadon Izumi: yes suse 11.3
[18:02] Justin Clark-Casey: hi bluewall
[18:02] Master Dubrovna: Hi
[18:02] Richardus Raymaker: hi justin, nebadon
[18:02] Jaroslav Leitner is Online
[18:02] Major Rasputin: There be a meeting? o:
[18:02] Nebadon Izumi: hello everyone
[18:02] Nebadon Izumi: yes Major
[18:02] Nebadon Izumi: every tuesday at this time
[18:02] Richardus Raymaker: still working on finding the right server for the right price
[18:02] BlueWall Slade: lol, I have an 11.1 I need to upgrade - SCARY
[18:02] Major Rasputin: sweet, open to public?
[18:02] Richardus Raymaker: hi blue
[18:02] Nebadon Izumi: yepp
[18:02] BlueWall Slade: Hi RiRa
[18:03] Penny Lane is Online
[18:03] Major Rasputin sits in out of curiousity
[18:03] Richardus Raymaker: i upgraded mine to 11.3, that where a mistake. now update cant do its work. it says i need registrate. so reinstall needed.
[18:03] Nebadon Izumi: so Bluewall with profiles
[18:03] Nebadon Izumi: how do you register Classifieds?
[18:03] Nebadon Izumi: via the viewer?
[18:03] Nebadon Izumi: or is there a web component?
[18:03] BlueWall Slade: yes
[18:04] Nebadon Izumi: interesting
[18:04] BlueWall Slade: the viewer
[18:04] Nebadon Izumi: i thought we determined that wasnt possible
[18:04] BlueWall Slade: works 100%
[18:04] Nebadon Izumi: guess we were wrong
[18:04] Nebadon Izumi: lol
[18:04] Nebadon Izumi: nice
[18:04] BlueWall Slade: ohhh, you shouldn't have told me that
[18:04] BlueWall Slade: now it won't work
[18:04] Nebadon Izumi: lol
[18:04] Nebadon Izumi: well this was long time ago
[18:04] Penny Lane: I vote that Justin be forced to use the same seat each meeting to stop confusing us
[18:04] Nebadon Izumi: when we were still working on Redux
[18:04] BlueWall Slade: yeah, there have been changes
[18:04] Nebadon Izumi: i have never actually used the osprofile module yet
[18:04] BlueWall Slade: maybe FlyMan updated it?
[18:04] Nebadon Izumi: possible
[18:05] Nebadon Izumi: heh
[18:05] BlueWall Slade: I tried on the older things and it didnt' work
[18:05] Nebadon Izumi: ah hmm well thats good news
[18:05] Nebadon Izumi: im gonna jump on that today for sure
[18:05] Nebadon Izumi: ive been meaning too
[18:05] BlueWall Slade: I'm stripping those things out of redux
[18:05] BlueWall Slade: I need to make an event registry
[18:06] Nebadon Izumi: ah thats what it was
[18:06] Nebadon Izumi: Events
[18:06] BlueWall Slade: yes
[18:06] Nebadon Izumi: not classifieds
[18:06] BlueWall Slade: the time base whacked that
[18:06] Nebadon Izumi: i was confusing the two things
[18:06] Justin Clark-Casey: I like to sit in a different place every time
[18:06] BlueWall Slade: I guess we need some time configuration
[18:06] Justin Clark-Casey: variety is the spice of life
[18:06] BlueWall Slade: Haaa
[18:06] Nebadon Izumi: heh i usually sit at this spot
[18:07] Nebadon Izumi: because this cushion is the 1st one to show up
[18:07] Nebadon Izumi: lol
[18:07] Major Rasputin: I usually sit on someone's head. More comfortable.
[18:07] Andrew Hellershanks: I just pick an open cushion
[18:07] Penny Lane: JCC: Anarchist!!! <grin>
[18:07] Richardus Raymaker: grin
[18:07] BlueWall Slade: it's sort of like going to church. If someone gets your seat - it's time to start kicking ass
[18:07] Nebadon Izumi: lol
[18:07] Andrew Hellershanks: Hello, everyone
[18:07] BlueWall Slade: Hi
[18:07] Penny Lane: Hi Andrew
[18:08] Richardus Raymaker: hi penny
[18:08] Penny Lane: Hi Rich!
[18:08] Nebadon Izumi: cool well it sounds like were getting pretty close to 0.7
[18:08] Richardus Raymaker: or move the bences blue
[18:08] BlueWall Slade: hehe
[18:09] Penny Lane: Cool Neb
[18:09] BlueWall Slade: lol, we better because the 0.6.9 is forgotten
[18:09] Richardus Raymaker: cool
[18:09] Nebadon Izumi: we still have 1 big hurdle here though
[18:09] Nebadon Izumi: and thats migrating the existing data
[18:09] Penny Lane looks forward to Wright Plaza with whacky Windlight
[18:09] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[18:09] BlueWall Slade: I dont' want to develop on top of that anymore either
[18:09] Nebadon Izumi: ya
[18:09] Nebadon Izumi: there is some good stuff in 0.7
[18:09] Richardus Raymaker: groups work now in 0.7 ?
[18:09] Richardus Raymaker: at least how its now
[18:10] BlueWall Slade: I want to work on that windlight some, if Tom doesn't
[18:10] Nebadon Izumi: its finally starting to get more on par with 0.6.9's stability now too
[18:10] Nebadon Izumi: ya we have a copy of Wright Plaza on Danger grid
[18:10] Nebadon Izumi: with Sharelight enabled
[18:10] Nebadon Izumi: and i have some prims near the landing point you can click
[18:10] Nebadon Izumi: to change the scene
[18:10] BlueWall Slade: we have that on our region here
[18:10] Nebadon Izumi: oh btw Justin ive been playing more with MOAP
[18:11] Nebadon Izumi: and been a bit disapointed with it
[18:11] Justin Clark-Casey: oh?
[18:11] Nebadon Izumi: the general implemenation
[18:11] Nebadon Izumi: nothing specific to opensim
[18:11] Nebadon Izumi: but the audio fall off
[18:11] Nebadon Izumi: is horrible
[18:11] Nebadon Izumi: they need to do something about that
[18:11] Justin Clark-Casey: yeah, viewer issues
[18:11] Nebadon Izumi: you need to be like 1m from the prim to get full audio
[18:11] Nebadon Izumi: if you like 10m away you cant hear it at all
[18:12] Andrew Hellershanks: A personal media player. :-)
[18:12] BlueWall Slade: maybe the Imp team can put some tweaks on that when they bring it in
[18:12] Nebadon Izumi: problem with zooming right up on it, the video gets very pixelated
[18:12] Nebadon Izumi: and if you zoom to a distance where it looks nice and sharp
[18:12] Nebadon Izumi: you cant hear it
[18:12] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[18:12] Nebadon Izumi: so ya i was contemplating opening a SL jira
[18:12] Nebadon Izumi: with a feature request for a audio fall off slider
[18:12] Nebadon Izumi: like draw distance
[18:12] Nebadon Izumi: up to 256m fall off
[18:12] Nebadon Izumi: i joined #opensl
[18:13] Nebadon Izumi: and it appears the reasoning for fall off
[18:13] Nebadon Izumi: unlike tradtional media URL which was limited to the sim your in
[18:13] Nebadon Izumi: apparantly MOAP can cross several borders
[18:13] Nebadon Izumi: people were hearing it 1000's of meters away in SL
[18:13] Nebadon Izumi: originally
[18:13] BlueWall Slade: ahhhh
[18:13] OtakuMegane Desu: Ohh, new griefing tool lol
[18:13] Major Rasputin: i remember that, was a massive annoyance in bug island
[18:14] Richardus Raymaker: sure its not some old bug that media dont get disconnected when you cross border ?
[18:14] Nebadon Izumi: heh ya, so really a better solution i would think would let people select the distance they want
[18:14] Nebadon Izumi: probably Richardus
[18:14] Nebadon Izumi: probably also for things like the LL events
[18:14] Nebadon Izumi: where they but up 4 regions together
[18:14] Nebadon Izumi: to increase attendance abilities
[18:14] Nebadon Izumi: but they really need to work on it, but other than that its pretty neat
[18:15] Nebadon Izumi: im looking forward to making more flash interfaces
[18:15] Nebadon Izumi: i just think that in its current form it sorta takes way from the use in say a classroom setting
[18:15] BlueWall Slade: it will be handy , for sure
[18:15] Richardus Raymaker: ohh. it works only with flash ?
[18:15] Nebadon Izumi: where the entire class has to zoom right up to the prim
[18:15] Nebadon Izumi: no
[18:15] Nebadon Izumi: it will do most anything firefox can
[18:15] Richardus Raymaker: sl2 is complete a mystery for me still. because lack of good viewer
[18:16] Nebadon Izumi: minus a few things, no Silverlight
[18:16] Nebadon Izumi: it should do Javascript and most common things
[18:16] Nebadon Izumi: not sure about HTML5 probably not
[18:16] Nebadon Izumi: it will eventually
[18:16] Nebadon Izumi: ya its a bummer to have to use that stupid SL2 viewer
[18:16] Richardus Raymaker: i hope it do htm + php and mysql. :) i dont love javascript
[18:17] BlueWall Slade: maybe it will play unity3d browser viewer so the SL people can login to a real grid, lol
[18:17] Nebadon Izumi: but once Imprudence gets their hands on SL2 and moap it should improve drasticly
[18:17] Major Rasputin: will be amusing one day to have a webGL version of SL running on a prim within SL
[18:17] Nebadon Izumi: lol that would be funny
[18:17] Major Rasputin: if webGL ever comes to gecko
[18:17] Nebadon Izumi: im not that impressed with Unity3D though
[18:17] BlueWall Slade: heh, I can't run it
[18:18] Nebadon Izumi: ya i can, but it doesnt like my video card
[18:18] Nebadon Izumi: so it seems to only run in software mode
[18:18] Nebadon Izumi: and everything looks horrible
[18:18] BlueWall Slade: how about the mesh support?
[18:18] Nebadon Izumi: it would be interesting though if the SL viewer could play unity3d windows
[18:18] BlueWall Slade: that looks interesting
[18:18] Nebadon Izumi: ya, ive seen the newest videos
[18:19] Nebadon Izumi: looks great, i cant wait, ive not seen it up close yet though
[18:19] Nebadon Izumi: I just hope that when it does go beta, that LL releases the source
[18:19] Nebadon Izumi: and doesnt keep it private for a long while
[18:19] BlueWall Slade: I think the server support may be in the OMF distro now
[18:19] Nebadon Izumi: the stubs are there
[18:19] Nebadon Izumi: but there is no viewer yet
[18:20] Nebadon Izumi: they are ready to jump on it though
[18:20] Richardus Raymaker: i dont know what LL wants. and i start to feel a stranger there that not knows what to do.
[18:20] BlueWall Slade: we will have it when they do, even if we have to use their viewer
[18:20] Nebadon Izumi: ya
[18:20] Nebadon Izumi: if they put the source out there
[18:20] Richardus Raymaker: or make own implementation someday
[18:20] Nebadon Izumi: i just hope they dont pull a Viewer2 deal, and keep the source private until well after its live on maingrid
[18:21] Nebadon Izumi: that could take a year or more
[18:21] Major Rasputin: how will mesh limits be handled? will you expand them? unless it'll be complicated for both server and client
[18:21] Nebadon Izumi: im pretty sure thats handled by the Viewer Major
[18:21] BlueWall Slade: I am hoping that is will be the start of a bridge toward Naali
[18:21] Nebadon Izumi: like sculpty it will probably either deny the ability to upload too complex mesh
[18:21] Nebadon Izumi: or it will lower the complexity some how
[18:21] Nebadon Izumi: my guess is it will probably just deny stuff thats too complex
[18:22] Nebadon Izumi: you wont just be able to upload any old mesh you find on the web
[18:22] Richardus Raymaker: urgh
[18:22] Nebadon Izumi: but it will be pretty good quality stuff im sure
[18:23] Major Rasputin: yeah, any turbosquid stuff will really peeve me off
[18:23] Nebadon Izumi: but really, there are meshes on like Turbo squid, where 1 model has more polygons than even 1 sim in SL has using standard prims
[18:23] BlueWall Slade: haa
[18:24] Major Rasputin: will be great to finally ditch these fatally flawed and inefficient sculpties
[18:24] Nebadon Izumi: well some turbo squid stuff will, anything thats within the tolerance of what they accept and can be converted to collada will probably end up on SL
[18:24] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[18:24] Richardus Raymaker: i hope there are simple mesh creator tools. a bit like the viewer works with editing
[18:24] Nebadon Izumi: ya
[18:24] Nebadon Izumi: you can probably even use tools
[18:24] Andrew Hellershanks: hehe... Who has the "Sculpties must die!" t-shirt?
[18:24] Nebadon Izumi: to export your sculpty builds into Blender
[18:24] Nebadon Izumi: then convert them to 1 alot more efficient Collada mesh
[18:24] Major Rasputin: wings 3D and milkshape 3D are the best low poly modellers i've used in my experience. not sure about collada support though
[18:24] Nebadon Izumi: i was messing around with that with Wings3D some stuff i made in Wings
[18:25] Nebadon Izumi: Wings3D has collada support
[18:25] Major Rasputin: excellent
[18:25] Richardus Raymaker: wings3d dont work under linux sofar i know. and the font is very uglky bad. not usable program blender have the same problem with font :((
[18:25] Nebadon Izumi: i exported something i made with the SL sculpty templates as Collada
[18:25] Nebadon Izumi: then imported it into Blender
[18:25] Nebadon Izumi: looked great
[18:25] BlueWall Slade: it works on Linux
[18:25] Nebadon Izumi: ya it does
[18:26] Nebadon Izumi: Wings works on everything
[18:26] Nebadon Izumi: even mac
[18:26] Nebadon Izumi: Wings3D is written in Erlang
[18:26] Nebadon Izumi: should be interesting
[18:26] Richardus Raymaker: ok, but the font is very bad
[18:26] Major Rasputin: stable or beta, rich?
[18:27] Richardus Raymaker: i looked at it 2 weeks ago, 5 minutes. painfull for eyes
[18:27] Richardus Raymaker: the one that comes with ubuntu
[18:27] Nebadon Izumi: heh well thats pretty much any 3D app
[18:27] Major Rasputin: i think beta is supposed to fix a lot of UI glitches
[18:27] Nebadon Izumi: hehe try using Blender for about an hour
[18:27] Nebadon Izumi: your eyes bleed
[18:27] Major Rasputin: ah, never trust the packages :U
[18:27] Andrew Hellershanks: What is a good format for importing objects in to Blender? OBJ?
[18:27] BlueWall Slade: hehe, it's not all that pretty. But it works good
[18:28] Nebadon Izumi: OBJ works well Andrew
[18:28] BlueWall Slade: and, avatars are supported in the mesh
[18:28] BlueWall Slade: that is pretty nice
[18:28] Nebadon Izumi: ya, there are some cool videos that show the avatar support
[18:28] Nebadon Izumi: I imagine that not only will avatars change
[18:28] Richardus Raymaker: but, some simple userfriendly prog would be nice.
[18:28] Nebadon Izumi: but how you animate avatars will change drasticlly as well
[18:29] Andrew Hellershanks: ok. I'll have to try that. I usually use a NURBS based surface modeller. Never sure what to use for export to other things that will preserve as much of the original as possible.
[18:29] Nebadon Izumi: it wont be the standard bvh format anymore
[18:29] Richardus Raymaker: or some inworld tool
[18:29] Richardus Raymaker: uhmm. so animations in bvh dont work ?
[18:29] Nebadon Izumi: they will still work
[18:29] Nebadon Izumi: but probably not on the newer fancy mesh avatars
[18:29] Andrew Hellershanks: That will be a pain
[18:29] Nebadon Izumi: my understanding is there will be skelaton changes too
[18:30] Jaroslav Leitner is Offline
[18:30] Richardus Raymaker: that sounds like SL gets turned upside down
[18:30] Nebadon Izumi: but i think old avatars will still be suported too
[18:30] BlueWall Slade: it depends on the skeleton
[18:30] Nebadon Izumi: they arent totally dropping support
[18:30] Richardus Raymaker: question, how long will everybody uses old avatars ?
[18:31] Nebadon Izumi: depends
[18:31] Nebadon Izumi: i imagine though that most everyone is interested in more complex avatars
[18:31] Nebadon Izumi: but there will always be people who cling to the old ways too
[18:31] Richardus Raymaker: "just see a big earthquake, with meshes"
[18:31] BlueWall Slade: (Prok)
[18:31] BlueWall Slade: lol
[18:31] Nebadon Izumi: heh
[18:32] Richardus Raymaker: it sounds like meshes can ruinen many businesses in sl.
[18:32] Nebadon Izumi: i think meshes will be a good thing
[18:32] Nebadon Izumi: it wont be as drastic a change as most think it will
[18:32] BlueWall Slade: really, it should even the playing field a bit
[18:33] OtakuMegane Desu: Oh noes, they have to change! How horrible
[18:33] Nebadon Izumi: everyone keeps saying that Richardus
[18:33] Major Rasputin: meshes won't ruin businesses, that's what they said about sculpties, but meshes have long been needed
[18:33] Nebadon Izumi: but you need to remember too, that the really good 3D builders
[18:33] Andrew Hellershanks whispers: Can existing bvh files be used with new mesh avatars or would the files have to be converted (if conversion is possible)
[18:33] Nebadon Izumi: not many people are interested in selling prims for pennies
[18:33] Nebadon Izumi: are not going to be that interested in SL
[18:33] Nebadon Izumi: probably will take new animations for differnt skelatons Andrew
[18:33] Richardus Raymaker: but mesh avatar dont work with old bvh. so i have the feeling its different then sculpts
[18:34] Simulator Version v0.5 shouts: OpenSim 0.6.9 (Post_Fixes) e7e9e67: 2010-09-07 21:05:10 +0100 (Unix/Mono)
[18:34] Richardus Raymaker: nebadon , ... :O
[18:34] Nebadon Izumi: being there are more points etc..
[18:34] Major Rasputin: what is a mesh avatar? as in, replacing the avatar model with a custom mesh?
[18:34] Andrew Hellershanks: I just pictured everyone who currently sells animations going out of business
[18:34] BlueWall Slade: they should work if the bones are the same in each
[18:34] Nebadon Izumi: but i think what will be most interesting about the new avatars is the ability to have more animal type avatars etc..
[18:35] OtakuMegane Desu: So either they adapt or get pushed out by newcomers who are willing to work with meshes.
[18:35] Richardus Raymaker: hehe. maby its usefull if sl use meshes only. then other grids get the bvh stuff maby :O
[18:35] Nebadon Izumi: nah Andrew just like RL, if you dont keep up with the newest technology someone else is going to do it better
[18:35] Nebadon Izumi: people will have to learn and expand
[18:35] Nebadon Izumi: to me a static universe that never changes sounds like a terrible idea
[18:36] Nebadon Izumi: if SL doesnt do this, everyone will end up leaving SL
[18:36] Nebadon Izumi: so either way people loose their business
[18:36] Nebadon Izumi: for other worlds
[18:36] Richardus Raymaker: i hope the make a meshimator insted of qavimotor
[18:36] Nebadon Izumi: or other 3D apps
[18:36] BlueWall Slade: well , blender might be able to do that
[18:36] Nebadon Izumi: Richardus, you will animate with blender
[18:36] Zardoz Firanelli has entered chat range (8.2m)
[18:36] Penny Lane has entered chat range (2.1m)
[18:36] Major Rasputin has entered chat range (5.8m)
[18:36] Richardus Raymaker has entered chat range (7.2m)
[18:36] Robert Graf has entered chat range (18.5m)
[18:36] Andrew Hellershanks has entered chat range (9.4m)
[18:36] OtakuMegane Desu has entered chat range (11.7m)
[18:36] Kenneth Rougeau has entered chat range (15.8m)
[18:36] Master Dubrovna has entered chat range (9.8m)
[18:36] Justin Clark-Casey has entered chat range (6.0m)
[18:36] Penny Lane: SL has perverted the view of what's important. When you look at the Web, virtually nothing on websites is pay-only, and that's what has made the Web explode. I believe the metaverse will be identical.
[18:37] Major Rasputin: just seen the video, awesome. maybe now we can have humanoids that don't look battered after a bad friday night
[18:37] Andrew Hellershanks: Blender could adapt to a new skeleton structure. If you can use bvh with the new mesh avatars, someone will probably come up with a new export plug-in to save Blender animations in the new format.
[18:37] BlueWall Slade: there is a huge collection of animations from CMU that might be able to work with these avatars
[18:37] Richardus Raymaker: only thing i wish is a good back and breast etc. the loook uglky now
[18:38] Nebadon Izumi: it wont be limited to only what the SL viewer can do
[18:38] Nebadon Izumi: avatars will be alot more complex now
[18:39] Richardus Raymaker: how muich work do the devs have to adjust to all new futures for opensim that sl use ?
[18:39] Nebadon Izumi: its mostly just adding new asset types
[18:39] BlueWall Slade: they say the size limits are off on the meshes, and I wonder if that holds true for avatars too?
[18:39] Nebadon Izumi: not that much
[18:39] Richardus Raymaker: sl2 use
[18:39] BlueWall Slade: that could be pretty funny
[18:40] Nebadon Izumi: looks like physics has died on the sim
[18:40] Richardus Raymaker: so no bumping in opensim anymore if you walk arouind someone ? without hit the avi
[18:41] Nebadon Izumi: ?
[18:41] Nebadon Izumi: ah sandbox plaza was freaking
[18:41] Nebadon Izumi: i just kicked it
[18:41] Nebadon Izumi: yay WP has recovered
[18:41] BlueWall Slade: lol, I saw the stats jump
[18:41] Nebadon Izumi: it was using 400% cpu
[18:41] Nebadon Izumi: lol
[18:41] BlueWall Slade: yow
[18:41] OtakuMegane Desu: .
[18:41] Nebadon Izumi: ya i was wondering what was going on
[18:42] Nebadon Izumi: i forgot to check sandbox before the meeting started
[18:42] Nebadon Izumi: normally i restart that one too
[18:42] Richardus Raymaker: is the avatar problem better fixt in 0.7 now you still cannot get close to other without push it
[18:42] Nebadon Izumi: probably not Richardus
[18:42] Nebadon Izumi: there will still be limits on avatar sizes
[18:42] Richardus Raymaker whispers: meshes same problem ?
[18:42] Nebadon Izumi: ya thats a physics issue
[18:42] Richardus Raymaker: right.
[18:43] Richardus Raymaker: oh how does ode work here for now ?
[18:43] Nebadon Izumi: SL uses the skelaton for meshing
[18:43] Richardus Raymaker: it seems fine
[18:43] Nebadon Izumi: OpenSIM uses a oblong sphere type shape
[18:43] Nebadon Izumi: its like a cylinder with 1/2 sphere ends
[18:43] Richardus Raymaker: aha, to bad. but must be something with ode
[18:43] Nebadon Izumi: ya its not our implementation
[18:43] BlueWall Slade: it would be cool if someone with the talent would hop into ODE and do soem work there for OpenSim
[18:43] Nebadon Izumi: its the fact that SL has never release the skelaton data
[18:44] Nebadon Izumi: so we dont really know how to provice exactly what the viewer wants
[18:44] Nebadon Izumi: so were faking it a bit
[18:44] Andrew Hellershanks: BlueWall, what is the URL for the cmu animations? I wonder if it is the same link I have (somewhere) to some animation data
[18:44] BlueWall Slade: 1 sec
[18:44] OtakuMegane Desu: Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of devs able (or willing) to delve into physics.
[18:44] BlueWall Slade:
[18:44] Nebadon Izumi: well in this case its a problem of LL not releasing data
[18:45] Nebadon Izumi: and we cant go hacking into the viewer to find out
[18:45] Nebadon Izumi: even with their license changes
[18:45] Nebadon Izumi: but who knows maybe some of that will change with meshes
[18:45] Nebadon Izumi: it will be interesting for sure
[18:45] Richardus Raymaker: and as long opensim have not its own viewer we need to hack
[18:46] Andrew Hellershanks: BlueWall, thanks. I think that was the site I had previously bookmarked. Just not sure where the link had gone
[18:46] BlueWall Slade: yw
[18:46] Nebadon Izumi: well even if we have our own, if we still want to support the SL viewer, then we probably need to do some hacking
[18:46] Nebadon Izumi: getting everyone to switch to a new viewer will be virtually impossible
[18:46] Nebadon Izumi: Naali is great and all
[18:46] Nebadon Izumi: but if your used to the SL viewer Naali is very complicating
[18:47] Nebadon Izumi: most people would hate it i suspect
[18:47] Nebadon Izumi: atleast initially
[18:47] Richardus Raymaker: naali with better GUI ?
[18:47] Justin Clark-Casey: naali is more complicated than the sl viewer?
[18:47] Richardus Raymaker: SL2 is for now the most bad one
[18:47] Nebadon Izumi: right now it is
[18:47] Justin Clark-Casey: wow
[18:47] Nebadon Izumi: its still pretty rough
[18:47] BlueWall Slade: the video of it looks like a CAD application
[18:47] Nebadon Izumi: and its not that its harder
[18:47] Nebadon Izumi: its just extremely differnt
[18:47] BlueWall Slade: pretty complex
[18:47] Nebadon Izumi: its not something everyone can just switch too
[18:48] Nebadon Izumi: ya its very blenderesque
[18:48] Nebadon Izumi: everything is in new locations
[18:48] BlueWall Slade: but, distilling tourist viewers from it shoudl be possible too.
[18:48] Richardus Raymaker: hmm. so if i finaly learned blender i can use naali :P
[18:48] Justin Clark-Casey: do naali have in-world editing tools for meshes? I'm presuming not?
[18:48] Nebadon Izumi: its basiclly like starting fresh on something totally new
[18:48] Nebadon Izumi: no
[18:48] Nebadon Izumi: i heard they were talking about a blender plugin
[18:48] Nebadon Izumi: but i dont know how far something like that is away
[18:49] BlueWall Slade: there was some editing in the video
[18:49] BlueWall Slade: nothing serious
[18:49] Nebadon Izumi: ya you can resize a mesh etc.. move it around
[18:49] Nebadon Izumi: rotate it
[18:49] Nebadon Izumi: but i dont think you can modify the mesh itself
[18:49] Nebadon Izumi: you can probably do things like change textures, add lighting effects
[18:49] Nebadon Izumi: stuff like that
[18:49] BlueWall Slade: I think they do have a blender hookup from that
[18:49] Nebadon Izumi: ya they might now
[18:49] BlueWall Slade: for that
[18:49] Richardus Raymaker: i think it takes a while before sl have mesh. i think shared media will appear quicker
[18:49] Nebadon Izumi: i know they were talking about it
[18:49] Nebadon Izumi: one thing thats neat about Naali
[18:50] Nebadon Izumi: is the multi view window
[18:50] BlueWall Slade: yeah
[18:50] Nebadon Izumi: you get like a main window and a preview window
[18:50] Nebadon Izumi: so you can view yourself from above while your building
[18:50] Nebadon Izumi: its certainly cool and innovative, but getting everyone to switch
[18:50] Nebadon Izumi: i dunno, that could be a monumental task
[18:51] BlueWall Slade: that is one thing I think the SL mesh support will help with
[18:51] Nebadon Izumi: ya
[18:51] BlueWall Slade: just getting people thinking meshes is big
[18:51] Nebadon Izumi: one thing im not too hot about is Naali avatar creation
[18:52] Nebadon Izumi: though it might have gotten better lately
[18:52] Nebadon Izumi: i havent had time to look at it lately
[18:52] BlueWall Slade: me either - just the videos
[18:52] Nebadon Izumi: i might have to try the newest naali, not sure if its out now or not
[18:53] Nebadon Izumi: 0.31 i think
[18:53] BlueWall Slade: I think last Friday
[18:53] Nebadon Izumi: cool
[18:53] Nebadon Izumi: but ya just going by their versioning # its obvious there is a long road ahead
[18:53] BlueWall Slade: ohhh, did anyone every find Melanie's mystery dll ?
[18:53] Nebadon Izumi: before they even feel like its ready for everyone
[18:53] Nebadon Izumi: no dont think so
[18:53] BlueWall Slade: lol, I have looked everywhere, not a trace
[18:53] Nebadon Izumi: I think melanie did find some remnants in her tree
[18:54] Nebadon Izumi: ya it seems it never made it into core
[18:54] BlueWall Slade: I can see the namespaces mixed in there
[18:54] BlueWall Slade: that is what I think
[18:54] Nebadon Izumi: ya i'll have to ask her again whats up with that
[18:54] Nebadon Izumi: i kinda forgot about it
[18:54] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[18:54] BlueWall Slade: if it makes XE useable it is good, lol
[18:55] Nebadon Izumi: ya have you tried turning off AppDomain?
[18:55] Nebadon Izumi: its only a problem if you have that set to true
[18:55] BlueWall Slade: I think there are 3 namespaces mixed in the dll
[18:55] BlueWall Slade: yes
[18:55] Nebadon Izumi: noticed much improvement with it set to false?
[18:55] Nebadon Izumi: I sure have
[18:55] BlueWall Slade: it saves RAM, but has some side effects
[18:55] Nebadon Izumi: like what?
[18:55] Andrew Hellershanks: naali has a lot of dependencies
[18:55] Nebadon Izumi: heh all the viewers do Andrew
[18:55] BlueWall Slade: some events are whacekd
[18:55] Nebadon Izumi: interesting
[18:55] Nebadon Izumi: i havent noticed that
[18:55] Nebadon Izumi: any examples handy?
[18:56] BlueWall Slade: I see the regions using ./bin to put the objects
[18:56] BlueWall Slade: no, It's like all the scripts are using the same event handling and just get pushed back
[18:56] Nebadon Izumi: hmm
[18:57] Nebadon Izumi: you tried playing with the threading #'s at all?
[18:57] BlueWall Slade: things happen out of sequences sometimes
[18:57] BlueWall Slade: no
[18:57] Andrew Hellershanks: nebadon, perhaps but I can run the sl viewers, hippo, emerald, imprudence, and meerkat by just downloading the tarball. naali (in .deb format) needs a whole lot of extra packages to be installed first
[18:57] BlueWall Slade: that might help
[18:57] Nebadon Izumi: wonder if its running out of threads
[18:57] Nebadon Izumi: ya id give it a shot
[18:57] Nebadon Izumi: i generally pump up the thread numbers a bit
[18:57] Nebadon Izumi: could be why i havent noticed
[18:57] BlueWall Slade: I have had reports of sit targets tossing people across the sims
[18:58] Andrew Hellershanks: hehe
[18:58] Nebadon Izumi: ya that could complicate getting people to use it Andrew
[18:58] BlueWall Slade: they have about 1,600 scripts in 2 regions
[18:58] Nebadon Izumi: but traditionally Realxtend team is Windows guys
[18:58] Nebadon Izumi: Linux is an afterthought there
[18:58] Nebadon Izumi: ah thats quite a bit of scripts
[18:58] Nebadon Izumi: even more than here i think
[18:58] Zardoz Firanelli: I'm installing it now it installs direct x
[18:58] Nebadon Izumi: ya this region has 1300 scripts
[18:59] BlueWall Slade: nothing complex there. But, I think it is making things slow.
[18:59] Nebadon Izumi: ya try bumping up the threading #'s
[18:59] BlueWall Slade: I think 800 scripts each there
[18:59] Nebadon Izumi: you might find it helps a bit
[18:59] Andrew Hellershanks: nebadon, I installed 3 dependencies. It wants updates on the verson of qt I have installed plus wants about 11 other packages which I don't have.
[18:59] Nebadon Izumi: sounds like threads are being over run
[18:59] BlueWall Slade: when I convert to 0.7x, I'll try mictpothreading it
[19:00] Justin Clark-Casey: ok, I need to go. See you guys around
[19:00] BlueWall Slade: see ya justin
[19:00] Andrew Hellershanks: see you, jcc
[19:00] Nebadon Izumi: ok Justin, thanks for coming, talk soon
[19:00] Richardus Raymaker: do we get that here now ? microthreading ?

Personal tools
About This Wiki