[Opensim-users] LSL HTTP server is slow (part II)

Jeff Kelley opensim at pescadoo.net
Thu Jan 14 21:32:38 UTC 2016

 From part I, we know we can stuff commands from the outside world to
a LSL script at a decent rate. It's time to build something a little
bit more sexy than a Perl script.

A good choice of language is HTML + Javascript. Because we can build
pretty sophisticated UI's. And because we can fold the UI inside the
simulation world at no extra cost using MOAP.

Lets's rez a prim and put this script inside:
https://github.com/jeff-kelley/opensim-utils/tree/master/sliders/sliders.lsl

Copy the url from the chat window. Be careful not to include a leading space.

Now, head up to http://grid.pescadoo.net/sliders/

Full source code available at :
https://github.com/jeff-kelley/opensim-utils/tree/master/sliders/web

Install it on a web server, or just use my web page to test.

'Name' holds the name or UUID of an object. When entering a name
here, a call is made to a name-to-url resolver, and the result is
written in the 'URI' field. Think to it like a DNS.

The resolver is not included in this release. For now, bypass it
pasting the url (the one you copied from the chat window) into the
'URI' field of the web page.

Below is an array of sliders and buttons (Thanks John Judnich for the
original code) When moving them, a message name=value is sent to your
script.

The example script changes the prim's color. Param1 is red, Param2
green, Param3 blue. You catch the idea, this is just a demo app.
Everything that can be controlled by script (and that's a lot) can be
controlled from the outside world in real-time. You may want to
change my 20ms throttling (application.js, line 54).

Warning : I use JSONP to overcome the same-origin policy
(application.js, line 68 : $.getJSON). This may fail with some web
browser. If it don't work first, try another browser.

Let me know if it works.

-- Jeff