[Opensim-users] Nasty vibration walking on terrain

Ethan Grammatikidis eekee57 at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 1 02:16:45 UTC 2015

Thank you Mister Blue, that's just the info I was hoping for. I wish I'd
waited a little longer to start writing my previous reply.

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015, at 01:38 AM, Mister Blue wrote:
> I don't see this in my testing but It can easily happen if the avatar
> height computation is not exactly synchronized between the simulator
> and the viewer[1].
>
> If you are running BulletSim, the simulator setting you mention is
> documented at
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/BulletSim#Adjusting_Avatar_Height . You
> can up the AvatarHeightLowFudge a little and see if that helps. if you
> have access to the console, you can test values with "physics set
> AvatarHeightLowFudge 0.2" after changing to the region being tested.
>
> -- mb
>
> [1] For the technically inclined, the avatar is represented by a
>     rectangular shape. In the simulator, this shape uses physics to
>     rest on the terrain. The height of the avatar is divided by two
>     and added to this bottom location and sent to the viewer. The
>     viewer then divides its belief in the avatars height and subtracts
>     that from the location from the simulator to get the bottom of the
>     avatar. If that bottom is below where the viewer thinks the
>     terrain is, the viewer will move the avatar up a little to correct
>     the overlap. Given differences that can happen between the
>     simulator and viewer, they can start fighting each other with the
>     simulator placing the avatar with where it thinks it is and the
>     viewer making corrections depending on its calculation. This
>     fighting creates the jitter. Many attempts have been made to
>     reduce these height problems for all avatar heights and all
>     versions of the viewers but a perfect solution has not yet been
>     coded.
>
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Luisillo Contepomi
> <luisillo at contepomi.net> wrote:
>> Hi Ethan,

I detect this problem on avatars size 3'10" / 46 Inch / 118cm. With
Singularity and Firestorm viewers.

What viewer are you using and the OpenSim Version and your avatar size?

(I think the limit for this problem is < 120cm.)

I am using Firestorm (last release) on OpenSim 0.8.0.3 and I have not
this problem. My size is 4'5" / 53 Inch / 135cm. But with Singularity
and other viewers I have this problem.

Best regards,

Luisillo