[Opensim-users] Boat script for bullet engine

Thomas Ringate tringate at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:58:46 UTC 2015

I have been trying to modify the vehicle script for the bulletsim-jetbike v1.0.lsl written by Shin Ingen.  I want to use the script in a Jet Ski.

The issues I need to solve are:
- do not sink when driver sits
- detect region borders and veer away
- detect shoreline and veer away

The most critical of these is the first.  Searching using Google shows that the most common problem for a boat is that it sinks when the driver
gets on the boat.  I am able to keep the boat afloat using the above script if I never turn it.  Once I maneuver at all it slowly sinks to the bottom.

Unfortunately, after reading for many hours about vehicles in the wiki, I find nothing I change or try does anything but make it worse.

There are no published working bullet scripts for a boat that I could find as an example to achieve a boat that would maneuver and stay floating.

Is there such a script?  If so can someone point me to it please.

The above script is really a lot of fun speeding around a region diving into water, scaling mountains and flying back to ground level.
As long as you avoid the regions borders it is great.
I have added code to detect the borders, veer away and slow down while doing it.
Unfortunately there is no way I have found to do this the same way as running into a non phantom prim.
I have to set the border limit to 15 meters to give the script time to react, slow the vehicle and start the turn operation.
It is still possible to overshoot the border and that is sudden death for this script and vehicle.

Tom