[Opensim-users] [Scripting] Scanning regions for scripts

Thomas Ringate tringate at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 15:53:33 UTC 2015

Kay,

I can only answer one of your questions, and offer my opinion on another.

- Do NPCs impact region performance?

Opinion, yes, slightly.  The more you have, they can affect the performance depending on what attachments etc they have on.  For instance hair can be a drag if it is poorly scripted by leaving un-needed scripts in the many prims.  I have had as many as 50 NPC’s that had no scripted items on them on my region without any noticeable performance impact with only my single avatar on the region.  Keep in mind as you increase real avatars on a region and you have many moving NPC’s all that motion information needs to be sent to each real avatars viewer, so yes, NPC’s do affect performance if they are in motion.  I have 7 persistent NPC’s on nudist island holding signs and they present no real impact to the region performance.

- Does anyone know of a CC license “chat bot” script (to enable text-based chats with NPCs)?

I guess I do not know what a “CC license” is but I have available a controller script for an NPC that works with a “program-o” set of AIML I have written for my “Genie” project.

You can see it in action at “Lady Island” where you can get the Genie lantern which comes with four genies and is set up to work with the chat server I have programmed.  This object contains a suite of scripts and objects for the lantern, and the controller, that work with one another.

Both the genies and the program-o server can be set up for your own use using your own servers.

It is not for the “faint of heart” user to try and set up a program-o server.  It is a project all of it’s own.  I was active back in the 2001 time frame in the A.L.I.C.E. project and wrote the 1.0 AIML manual for the project at that time.  Last year I decided to take a look at program-o since it was php and MySQL based to see if I could use it to both chat with and control an NPC.  I have written special plug-in’s for program-o to allow a single AIML brain to control multi genies and multi users.  With the controller script I wrote for the NPC you can control with chat, your NPC (genie) to do nearly anything a normal avatar can do.  The combination is far more powerful than just a chat program.

The project is far from being complete, but it is mature enough for others to use the “genies” as controllable companions.

Keep in mind, that my configuration is intended for use on OSgrid, and while it can easily be used on other grids or standalones, it will take considerable knowledge of how to set it up for such use.

Tom