[Opensim-users] [Scripting] Scanning regions for scripts

Kay McLennan mclennan.kay at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 13:41:55 UTC 2015

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 6:31 AM, Jeff Kelley <opensim at pescadoo.net> wrote:

> ...Get your regions slim and fast. Happy script safari!...

Jeff,

Wow, thank you for a very useful discussion (and set of tools) to maximize
sim performance (via maximizing script usage)!  Still, I have a few
questions:

- [In the same way you mentioned removing particle scripts from
objects…]  Doesn’t
removing the script for hoover text (without removing the hoover text and
accordingly, the hoover text will still be visible) mean the hoover text is
still functional WITHOUT impacting region performance?

- Do NPCs impact region performance?

- Does anyone know of a CC license “chat bot” script (to enable text-based
chats with NPCs)?

- Any recommendations for a CC license script library (and especially, a
state-of-the-art script library)?  I mostly use the scripts in Fleep’s
script library @ https://fleep.wikispaces.com/Scripts (or go back to the SL
LSL wiki @ http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal).

Finally, while we are on the topic of optimizing region performance in
OpenSim, is it still true that making as many of the objects in the sim as
possible phantom will increase the sim’s performance?  [This is a tip I
picked up from Chris Hart when I was using the Reaction Grid to host the
Tulane SCS Metaverse.  I have continued to make all objects phantom except
building floors.  Further, I now depend on being able to just walk through
doors (and loath having to actually find a door!).  Still, since I noticed
how the very adept builders in the OSCC grid did not make many or any of
the builds phantom, I wonder if my understanding -- that phantom objects
helps sim performance -- is still correct?]

Again, thank you for your notes on maximizing sim performance through
maximizing script performance.

Best,

Kay