[Opensim-users] Question; What is the difference between and ASSET and a ITEM

Thomas Ringate tringate at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 16:20:23 UTC 2014

In the appearance notecard for an NPC two UUID’s are listed for each object that is attached, or for wearables.

Example:

<key>point</key>
<integer>8</integer>
<key>item</key>
<uuid>b9bb4e8f-2ba0-4f02-a47c-2efbfc9b2299</uuid>
<key>asset</key>
<uuid>5225b537-dc05-4e0b-9a03-23a1990ec5a8</uuid>

What is the difference between the “ASSET” and the “ITEM”?

I have discovered that if the UUID is present in my asset cache the NPC will rezz without any difficulty but if it is missing, I only will see a cloud, or partial NPC.

I have written a php program that decodes the appearance note card, finds the asset in the cache, reads the asset, and then displays what the NPC
is made of.  It  displays the name of the object, and allows me to remove attachments or replace them with other attachments.

I have identified those textures required as a minimum for an NPC to rezz.  This makes it simpler to delete notecards that will result
in a non-displayable NPC.

I use this to preprocess appearance note cards to make it faster to only rezz good appearances.

Tom