[Opensim-users] Theoretical limit on maximum number of NPCs on a region

Michael Emory Cerquoni nebadon2025 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:55:25 UTC 2014

The biggest bottleneck for NPCs will be the Viewer and its ability to
render them, I have had 1000+ very basic almost near ruth like NPCs running
around no problem, however as you will see in this video >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljLlbF0mzwQ  that 40 of my alien avatars
which is aproximately 150,000 prims moving around really does a number on
the viewer, just make sure your avatars are as optimized as possible and
you can easily have 100's of NPCs no problem.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Dahlia Trimble <dahliatrimble at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Scripted NPCs have much less overhead than normal avatars and are probably
> not much more load than any other scripted physical object as they don't
> have any networking overhead or require remote scene state synchronization
> as normal avatars/viewers do. What would matter is how many normal viewers
> are sharing the region, as any NPC appearances and actions would need to be
> sent to all viewers. So, having a few hundred NPCs might work when only one
> normal avatar is present but would likely bog down and fail as more normal
> avatars are added.
>
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <r.ramloll at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Forgot to mention that the environment associated with the NPC clip was
>> running on kitely.
>> Ramesh
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <r.ramloll at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> As I recorded this clip
>>> http://youtu.be/7qYYj709RCA
>>> I was wondering how much more NPCs can be created in one region, I did
>>> not experience any slow down whatsoever. Or may be the question is not
>>> relevant because it just depends on the CPU resources and memory available.
>>> In any case, let me know.
>>> Ramesh
>>>
>>> --
>>> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
>>> *Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate *Research
>>> Associate Professor*, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel:
>>> 208-240-0040
>>> LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
>>> <http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, RezMela <http://www.rezmela.com>, Google+
>>> profile <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>
>>>

>> --
>> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
>> *Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate *Research
>> Associate Professor*, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel:
>> 208-240-0040
>> LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
>> <http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, RezMela <http://www.rezmela.com>, Google+
>> profile <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>