[Opensim-users] Theoretical limit on maximum number of NPCs on a region

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:49:36 UTC 2014

Scripted NPCs have much less overhead than normal avatars and are probably
not much more load than any other scripted physical object as they don't
have any networking overhead or require remote scene state synchronization
as normal avatars/viewers do. What would matter is how many normal viewers
are sharing the region, as any NPC appearances and actions would need to be
sent to all viewers. So, having a few hundred NPCs might work when only one
normal avatar is present but would likely bog down and fail as more normal
avatars are added.