[Opensim-users] [Opensim-dev] Mono stability on OpenSuSE 13.2

Oren Hurvitz orenh at kitely.com
Sun Nov 23 06:12:41 UTC 2014

The problem is that Mono often crashes on newer Linux kernels. OpenSuSe
13.1 comes with Linux kernel 3.11 (works ok), and OpenSuSe 13.2 comes with
Linux kernel 3.16 (Mono crashes). In my tests, kernel 13.14 also crashes.

You should be able to install kernel 3.11 over OpenSuse 13.2, if you want;
that would solve your Mono problems.

Of course, the *real* solution is for Mono to get fixed. But who knows when
that will happen.

Oren

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 5:11 AM, James Hughes <jamesh at bluewallgroup.com>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I wanted to shoot out an email to relate my experience with OpenSim on
> OpenSuSE 13.2. There seems to be an underlying issue causing
> Mono/OpenSim to be somewhat unstable. Regions crash frequently leaving
> stack traces like: http://pastebin.com/Rcxy6WrS . This was experienced
> on different machines: Intel, KDE / AMD, Gnome and under Mono 3.8.0 and
> 3.10.0.
>
> After reverting back to OpenSuSE 13.1, Mono and OpenSim are very stable.
> So, just a heads up if you are planning to upgrade to be cautious and
> have a backup plan in place.
>
> Thanks,
> BlueWall

Oren Hurvitz