[Opensim-users] [Opensim-dev] Mono stability on OpenSuSE 13.2

Timothy Rogers timothy.f.rogers at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 06:23:35 UTC 2014

Can I ask what version of mono your running here? We at Zetamex are
staying on the Ever Green release aka 13.1 but we use the MonoProject
suse build service repo, and we haven't had any real integraty issues
thus far but I would be happy to spin up another test box to see what
we can do.

  Timothy Rogers Zetamex CEO timothy.f.rogers at gmail.com

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014, at 10:12 PM, Oren Hurvitz wrote:
> The problem is that Mono often crashes on newer Linux kernels.
> OpenSuSe 13.1 comes with Linux kernel 3.11 (works ok), and OpenSuSe
> 13.2 comes with Linux kernel 3.16 (Mono crashes). In my tests, kernel
> 13.14 also crashes.
>
> You should be able to install kernel 3.11 over OpenSuse 13.2, if you
> want; that would solve your Mono problems.
>
> Of course, the *real* solution is for Mono to get fixed. But who knows
> when that will happen.
>
> Oren
>

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 5:11 AM, James Hughes
> <jamesh at bluewallgroup.com> wrote:
>> Hello All,

I wanted to shoot out an email to relate my experience with OpenSim on

OpenSuSE 13.2. There seems to be an underlying issue causing

Mono/OpenSim to be somewhat unstable. Regions crash frequently leaving

stack traces like: http://pastebin.com/Rcxy6WrS . This was experienced

on different machines: Intel, KDE / AMD, Gnome and under Mono 3.8.0 and

3.10..

After reverting back to OpenSuSE 13.1, Mono and OpenSim are very stable.

So, just a heads up if you are planning to upgrade to be cautious and

have a backup plan in place.

Thanks,

BlueWall

> Oren Hurvitz VP R&D Kitely Ltd.