[Opensim-users] Newbie Linux Admin Question

The Pierce Family thepierces-rwpt at charter.net
Tue Jul 22 15:40:56 UTC 2014

I have the following server setup: one Linux-based robust server (containing
robust, sql, and initial welcome region), one linux-based region server, and
one Windows 7-based region server.

My primary reason for moving from a windows-based windows server to
linux-based is for the opportunity to implement an MTA and get the
capability of in-world email working. Everything is fine and all are working
correctly. I have yet to set up Exim4 yet, getting SQL rebuilt (part of
reason to move to linux as well) due to table data messing up.

The technical question I have and I cannot seem to find an answer for it
(maybe it is too greenhorn to be posted?) is - does the region server
monitor and push out the mail or does the linux-base robust server do this?
Reason I ask is that I am trying to find the limits of the linux-based
region server (as far as how many regions can be put online, given the
hardware constraints I currently have) - and I may have just done that. Do
to the complexities of what I understand the linux-based computer operating
system? I am told that the limits off the virtual swap partition is 2GB.

I would prefer to operate my region servers on a windows-based operating
system quite simply because the virtual system can be pushed to the limits
of the hard drive. I would also entertain a Virtual Machine via software,
but I wish to not entertain it at the current time.

Can anyone provide a technical answer on all of this information I have
provided, and please, when you are responding I would like your real-world
experiences and the pro's and con's of what you are recommending, if at all
possible.

Thanks and looking forward to the techno responses,

Randy