[Opensim-users] Newbie Linux Admin Question

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 25 01:12:45 UTC 2014

All e-mail handling will be entirely simulator-side.

As for limits, using disk swap is not a good idea since it will be orders of magnitude slower than memory and this will
have an impact on the simulator.  You want enough physical memory for your entire simulator.

For various discussion about performance limits, see [1], though this is an extremely complex and evolving area, so at
best only rules of thumb can be given (which may be of varying accuracy).

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Performance

On 22/07/14 16:40, The Pierce Family wrote:
> *I have the following server setup: one Linux-based robust server (containing robust, sql, and initial welcome region),
> one linux-based region server, and one Windows 7-based region server.*
>
> **
>
> *My primary reason for moving from a windows-based windows server to linux-based is for the opportunity to implement an
> MTA and get the capability of in-world email working. Everything is fine and all are working correctly. I have yet to
> set up Exim4 yet, getting SQL rebuilt (part of reason to move to linux as well) due to table data messing up.*
>
> **
>
> *The technical question I have and I cannot seem to find an answer for it (maybe it is too greenhorn to be posted?) is -
> does the region server monitor and push out the mail or does the linux-base robust server do this? Reason I ask is that
> I am trying to find the limits of the linux-based region server (as far as how many regions can be put online, given the
> hardware constraints I currently have) – and I may have just done that. Do to the complexities of what I understand the
> linux-based computer operating system? I am told that the limits off the virtual swap partition is 2GB. *
>
> **
>
> *I would prefer to operate my region servers on a windows-based operating system quite simply because the virtual system
> can be pushed to the limits of the hard drive. I would also entertain a Virtual Machine via software, but I wish to not
> entertain it at the current time.*
>
> **
>
> *Can anyone provide a technical answer on all of this information I have provided, and please, when you are responding I
> would like your real-world experiences and the pro’s and con’s of what you are recommending, if at all possible.*
>
> **
>
> *Thanks and looking forward to the techno responses,*
>
> *Randy*

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org