[Opensim-users] Opensim-users Digest, Vol 4, Issue 16

Maria Korolov maria at hypergridbusiness.com
Fri Jul 18 21:35:05 UTC 2014

I second the comments above. In my experience, Unity 3D is primarily used
by enterprises for promotional materials -- they build an experience, and
then they publish it on the web. This could be marketing games, campus
tours, product simulations, etc...

Unity 3D is a development platform. You need developers to create anything
in it.

OpenSim is a good fit for someone who wants a Second Life-style virtual
environment, with in-world building tools, avatars, inventories, etc... but
with better controls, backups, and lower-cost land. Anyone can com e in and
build, and there's a wealth of content available -- free OARs, Linda Kellie
freebies, Kitely Market, hypergrid stores on many grids, etc... Developers
aren't needed to create an environment.

There are some overlaps, though. Jibe and SecondPlaces are two products
that try to build a virtual world-like system on top of Unity 3D.

Another option,if you're a developer, is WebGL and HTML5. You need a modern
browser - Chrome or Firefox -- to visit these worlds but, on the plus side,
you don't need to download any software or install any plugins. It just
works.

And I just got off the phone with Douglas Maxwell, and the U.S. Department
of Defense has built an entire free, open source virtual environment
framework on top of WebGL -- https://virtual.wf

So if you're leaning towards Unity 3D, take a look at that, as well.

-- Maria

Maria Korolov •  508-443-1130 • maria at hypergridbusiness.com
<http://www.china-speakers-bureau.com/>Editor & Publisher, *Hypergrid
Business* <http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/>
*The magazine for enterprise users of virtual worlds. *