[Opensim-users] Hoping for a fearless comparison of opensim vs unity 3D

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 22:04:20 UTC 2014

My own experiments with Unity a while ago can be found via this link
to Unity related posts in my blog...

<http://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/?s=unity3d>http://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/?s=unity3d

A reasonable single post summary is at

<http://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/2011/12/07/i-room-in-unity3d-with-multi-user-chat-voip-and-collaboration-tools/>http://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/2011/12/07/i-room-in-unity3d-with-multi-user-chat-voip-and-collaboration-tools/

This included a bit of work with multiuser servers including SmartFox
and Proton (the free to use versions for up to about 50 avatars),
voice alongside the application, use of a shared whiteboard and
presentation tool alongside not inside Unity, etc.

I created a simple I-Room virtual collaboration space as a learning
exercise, and scripted some teleporters, web page and image serving
screens, etc.

Tipodean did a Collada mesh conversion for me of the OpenVCE
collaboration region from an OAR and we moved that into Unity for
tests but with no scripting.  You can try Tipodean's systems and
their other demos at
See http://converter.tipodean.com/unity3d/index.html

You might also look at the work John (Pathfinder) Lester has been
doing in Unity3D and the Jibe framework for multi-user interactions,
but that is commercial and not available as open source.  See
http://reactiongrid.com/what.aspx

And I believe that the next version of Unity will incudes a
multi-user server setup. See http://unity3d.com/5

The issue as I see it is that such systems will be isolated islands
with small or separate user communities. It will take some time to
build new communities such as we have with Second Life or OpenSim/Hypergrid.