[Opensim-users] Urban legends (Was :Configuring a multi-hosted grid)

Jeff Kelley opensim at pescadoo.net
Fri Aug 22 14:28:07 UTC 2014

At 8:09 AM -0500 22/8/14, Marcus Llewellyn wrote:

You can indeed give each instance its own asset cache directory. My
rationale for not doing so is that where simulators share content,
this should reduce requests to the asset service, resulting in less
network traffic, and also a modest speed up when regions are first
started in some circumstances.

Because an asset may have been cached already by another simulator.

My only concern has been that a single asset cache that has multiple
copies of Flotsam managing it might at some point encounter some sort
of conflict or collision. So far, I've noticed nothing of the sort,
though. In practice, a single asset cache has been working fine for
me.

So shared cache is a better option, until we discover a drawback.

-- Jeff