[Opensim-users] Urban legends (Was :Configuring a multi-hosted grid)

Marcus Llewellyn marcus.llewellyn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 13:09:42 UTC 2014

On Aug 22, 2014 7:47 AM, "Jeff Kelley" <opensim at pescadoo.net> wrote:

> I have all instances sharing the same asset cache. I use an environment
variable to customise port number, region file and simulator's prompt at
launch. That's a huge simplification in organization : one bin/ folder, one
set of ini's.

> It should be possible to customize CacheDirectory in FlotsamCache.ini as
well.

Yes, that's very similar to my setup. I also use environment variables for
things like addresses and in OpenSim.exe.config for log files.

You can indeed give each instance its own asset cache directory. My
rationale for not doing so is that where simulators share content, this
should reduce requests to the asset service, resulting in less network
traffic, and also a modest speed up when regions are first started in some
circumstances.

My only concern has been that a single asset cache that has multiple copies
of Flotsam managing it might at some point encounter some sort of conflict
or collision. So far, I've noticed nothing of the sort, though. In
practice, a single asset cache has been working fine for me.