[Opensim-users] appearance isue (ruthed) with more than 6 avatars.

R.Gunther rigun at rigutech.nl
Sat Oct 26 17:04:25 UTC 2013

Sound a bit like the problem i have read on this SL blog
http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/sl-projects-update-week-43-2-server-and-viewer-notes/
But it can be something else to offocrse.

-----
Server Deployment

With just the one deployment to the Main channel in week 43, the entire
grid is currently running on the same server release.

Commenting on the released package at the Server Beta group meeting on
Thursday 24th October, Maestro and Simon Linden provided further
information on the performance issue fix which is aimed at the
experimental interest list viewer (which has yet to formally appear, but
can be self-compiled by those with access to the code repository).

"The bug was about avatars not loading for ~70 seconds when you visit an
area with ten or so avatars nearby, Maestro explained. "And by 'not

"I think the problem was when those viewers used new methods to download
or check the cache state of some data ... it would over-load the network
and thus the avatar updates were really slow," Simon added, before
continuing, "Since the current viewer doesn't do that, they don't have
the bug. Clubs and large crowds are always a problem because when you
arrive you just get a ton of data to fetch and load."

Week 44 should see what Maestro described as a "minor maintenance
release" for the server appearing next week, which includes "a few
miscellaneous crash fixes". At the time of writing it is not clear if
this will be the only RC deployment or whether anything else might also
pop-up when the deployment thread is published.
----