[Opensim-users] trouble with new osgrid region

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 22:08:45 UTC 2013

Hi Serendipity,

Lets take some deep breaths and attempt to make some sense of these things.

Firstly, there's no 'linux' flavor of opensim -- opensim is implemented in
c# precisely so that the same source code and the same binaries work
equally well on all supported platforms. Or, at least that is the intention
;)

Next:

DNS vs IP addresses. If (and only if) your DNS entries for a given IP
address are all right and proper, there's no real reason they can't be used
interchangeably in your config files. That being said, if the DNS entries
for a given IP address are *not* right and proper, trouble will ensue if
you attempt using the DNS name instead of a plain IP address.

Now this message:

"PUT
http://mariaclaude.no-ip.org:9000/agent/544eab0f-01a9-5f8d-e0d9-de89e9ea46dd/
took
10000ms, 0ms writing, {"message_type":"AgentPosition","region_handle"
:"10966528977991424","circuit_code":"0","agent_uuid":
21:41:36 - [WEB UTIL]: ServiceOSD request 107
http://mariaclaude.no-ip.org:9000/agent/544eab0f-01a9-5f8d-e0d9-de89e9ea46dd/
PUT
FAILED: The request timed out"

is not all that strange. It is typical of the formats opensim employs in
exchanges with the viewer and other regions when 'things are happening".
What is surprising about it is that you are seeing it. What this message is
about is the (re)positioning or possibly the arrival of an avatar in the
region. That avatar is originally logged in from '
http://mariaclaude.no-ip.org:9000/'. Hypergrid? In any case, that it failed
(and how it failed) is telling of trouble with your networking. This
trouble could actually be with the avatar as reflected in the message; it
might look something like this if the person closed the viewer before their
jump completed.

Given your level of experience and understanding, I'd say that this was one
of 1) a transient network issue not of your making or possibly 2) you
fat-fingered one or more of the numbers in your IP address (it happens to
the best of us from time to time ;)

If the case be the former, then you will know when it clears up without
being fixed. If the latter, well, you'll need to make some corrections to
your configs.

What I recommend is that you go through each of your config files, and
standardize on IP addresses throughout your configuration. This will
provide you the opportunity to insure that each is correct, and eliminate
any possibility of DNS issues being the cause. One reason for configuring
this way for production is that it eliminates the time required to look up
the IP address using the DNS system, which can sometimes be substantial
under load.

Concerning your scripting troubles, I'd suggest that you not even bother
yourself with that until such time as these other issues are settled,
because if your region is failing in the general sense, there's no real
expectation that the particulars should be expected to work either.

LASTLY:

When it comes to opensims, VPS are bad, and are not supported
configurations. You need real hardware under your opensims. This is
something you should see to as soon as possible.

 Best of luck, and do let us know how it goes :)

Cheers!
James/Hiro

http://osgrid.org/
http://simhost.com