[Opensim-users] Avatar texture corruption

caro t hart caro.thart at macaris.nl
Sat Feb 16 10:08:15 UTC 2013

Emperor, all readers,
Thank you for the time you put in helping me figuring out what is
going on.
I have tried several avatar textures as you suggested previously
(including a Linda Kellie type and the default "Ruth").
I have tried this with avatars which have been in use for a longer
period and new created avatars.

The problem is consistently the same and best illustated as follows:
Step 1: Log in as avatar A in opensim instance X
Control 1: Console command in instance X: appearance show avatarname
Step 2: Walk into an adjacent region? in an other opensim instance
"Y" (do not bake, teleport or edit appearance!)
Control 2: Console command in instance Y: appearance show avatarname
Step 3: Log in as avatar B in either X or Y

My Result: A can see B normally, but B sees A as a cloud.

And yes, a baking action by A resolves the problem. But A does not
know he is a cloud unless he is told.
Unfortunately in my setup avatars do walk around and are supposed to
cross regions walking.

I can see:
in the consoles that all avatars (old new, fancy or standard) lose
(or do not get) textures when walking into another opensim instance
The console reports appearance corrupt.
Zen and Firestorm show a normal avatar once the other avatar has OK
appearance in console, even if they walk across a boundary and the
console reports corrupt. This stays true unless they walk out of
visual range and return. Than they show as cloud.
If a second avatar logs in and the present avatar has previously
walked across a region/sim boundary, than second avatar will see the
already present avatar as a cloud. Only ctr-alt-r, appearance edit or
teleport of the already present avatar resolves this.

I prefer being wrong, however at this point I do not think it is a
texture problem, but a bug.
I hate filing bug reports without proper confirmation of the problem
so I would very much appreciate it if the readers who are:
running in Grid mode
and have two regions adjacent to each other running in separate
opensim servers
to test step 1,2,3 and let me know what they see.

Thanks in advance,
Caro

Message: 1