[Opensim-users] save iar / no longer saves the 'root' "My Inventory" folder - it just saves the Objects, Assets, etc. folders instead

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 16 02:41:25 UTC 2013

Hi folks.  Just a small note to say that in OpenSimulator development code commit d54d3180 (Sat Feb 16 00:49:06 2013), I
have changed "save iar" so that specifying / as the internal inventory path.  For instance,

save iar Justin Clark-Casey / password

will now save all the folders below "My Inventory" (Objects, Textures, etc) rather than "My Inventory" itself.

I believe this is more correct than saving an actual "My Inventory" folder, since "My Inventory" is not a real folder -
it's really just the name of the user's inventory.

This also means that IARs saved like this can be used to restore an entire user's inventory, using the "load iar
--merge" functionas detailed at [1], rather than leaving you stuck with everything under a duplicate "My Inventory"
folder on restore.

The same effect could be achieved by using /* as the save iar path and this will continue to work but it's more
intuitive to use /.

This change does not affect any other path.  If you wanted to save only the contents of a/b/c for example and not the
folder itself, you would need to use the path a/b/c/*

This isn't a big change but I thought that I would let people know.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Inventory_Archives#Saving_an_entire_user.27s_inventory

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting