[Opensim-users] Vivox module question - enable echo back?

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Thu Feb 14 06:42:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 5:36 AM, InuYasha Meiji <inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey, I am happy to be able to use what Vivox gave us.  If we want things
> available to us that vivox allows in SL then we might end up paying the
> huge licencing fee that Vivox requires of SL to get those other options.  I
> for one can't afford a change like that for my simple hobby sized grid.

I wouldn't think that is a risk really.

My assumption is that the licensing model that Vivox generously offers to
Opensimulator users is based on the business model / type of usage and
perhaps for using open source in general -- not mainly about a restricted
featureset. I mean the difference is exactly that you have (more of a)
hobby grid, whereas something like Linden with SL is a corporation running
a commercial service .. not that in SL you can test audio settings which
would be crippled with Opensimulator.

And even if there are features they reserve for paying customers, I'd
imagine that giving a nice simple way to test voice is not among them but
something that is good to have always available to make Vivox usable, is
elementary I think that voice settings and quality etc. can be tested.

I guess the case is simply that you need to setup such a service somehow,
have the behaviour with the loopback audio implemented .. exactly what
Justin was after with setting up channels and wondering about the API they
provide.

So I'd also just ask them .. or study the API if they have something
suitable.

> InuYasha.

~Toni
BTW: thanks for the reminder, I've always really liked the Echo Canyon ..
and we currently don't have it implemented with the Mumble plugin that's
used with Tundra in realXtend. There is a audio settings wizard GUI which
has a local loopback for setting mic level etc. but I think a service for
testing the audio over the net, which the Echo Canyon and Skype test call
do, would be good too. That voice impl is quite decent nowadays, is good I
think that there's also an open source option as well even though Vivox is
good and friendly (and with Tundra we don't currently have the option for
Vivox anyways, might be interesting if also that integration would exist
but AFAIK we'll be just using mumble/murmur .. there's sometimes been talk
of Skype etc integrations though as they also have an SDK & API nowadays).