[Opensim-users] ode + mesh = phantom

Marcus Llewellyn marcus.llewellyn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 03:47:49 UTC 2013

Hiya. :)

As you probably already know, the settings you use in your mesh upload
dialog matter if you want a mesh to have a useful physics shape in
OpenSim. In the Physics tab of the upload floater, you only want to
select an LOD (Step 1). Ignore all the others... they don't do anything,
and will probably even prevent mesh physics from working.

Using any one of the LOD options definitely works for me. I *believe*
I've also been able to use the "From File" option successfully in the
past so that a palm tree's trunk collided with avatars, but not the
leaves. But this isn't something I've tried or tested for some time, and
may be hallucinating it at this point. ;)

I've successfully uploaded physical meshes with official LL viewers,
Firestorm, Zen, Kokua, Angstrom, and Niran's. So it's unlikely to be an
issue with one of those viewers. This includes meshes composed of single
objects, and a group of objects.

One thing you can also check is to be certain that the mesh's Physics
Shape Type is set to Convex Hull in the Features tab of the built
floater. I've occasionally run into quirky behaviour where a mesh will
behave as phantom, or wind up with a cubic collision shape. Toggling
this setting (possibly a few times) in the build floater has corrected
such events.

For informational purposes, there is an INI setting for mesh physics.
It's in the [Mesh] section, and the option is as follows:

UseMeshiesPhysicsMesh = true

This option has defaulted to true in OpenSimDefaults.ini for quite some
time now, so it really shouldn't be necessary to fiddle with it.

I haven't had good luck yet with mesh physics in BulletSim. It seems to
generate a general physics shape, but not one that's very precise or
always useful. A mesh stairway with rails will cause your avatar to walk
at the level of the rails, for example. I've been unable to enter mesh
buildings or caves with Bullet as well. I'm sure this will improve as
BulletSim is further developed.

Marcus