[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 17 02:57:31 UTC 2012

On 16/11/12 07:34, Snowcrash Short wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com <mailto:jjustincc at googlemail.com>> wrote:

>     There is also an assets/<asset-id>/metadata URL available that would return asset ID if one is willing to rely on
>     this.  Unfortunately, this is not yet documented.
>
> That could be very useful, currently I'm using GET on the asset service in order to determine if the asset already
> exists, which is a bit overkill, ideally the web service would support "HEAD" but a meta data check would/should work
> equally well.

I'll try and doc this when I get time on [1].  You can also see the format in
OpenSim/Services/Connectors/Asset/AssetServicesConnector.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/AssetService

>     I'm very happy to see experimentation in this field because it's a major issue.  And it's up to individuals to make
>     these decisions.  But I would say OpenSimulator itself will remain with default config options very similar to what
>     we have now (e.g. no service exposure).
>
>     On a final note - it's will be much easier if you make your code BSD/MIT/Apache before releasing for interaction
>     with existing codebases with a similar license.  AGPL is a wildly different license.
>
> Once the code is more stable the licence will be modified to BSD. AGPL was selected by me in the hopes that any changes
> would flow back to the original project (I know it doesn't have to) and prevent wild forking until the dust has settled
> a bit. I know that this won't deter the hardcore black hatters, but they already have quite a toolset at their disposal.

The problem comes if you accept any patches under the AGPL.  If you then want to relicense, unless you obtained
copyright transfer or an appropriate rights grant, strictly speaking you would have to clear it with each contributor.

Pragmatically speaking, you could probably get away with agreement of the biggest contributors (which would probably
just be you).  I believe this is what VLC did with their recent relicensing to LGPL.

Another benefit of starting BSD is that people working on other similar codebases (such as OpenSimulator) don't have to
think twice before reusing any good code or being able to extract stuff into common libraries.

Indeed, this is a major bug bear of me with the Mumble/Whisper module, which was licensed under GPL.  This prevents that
module ever being incorporated into core OpenSimulator.