[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Snowcrash Short snowcrash.short at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 11:17:14 UTC 2012

I'm not terribly familiar with copybot, I've heard the name, but I don't
really know the mechanics behind it.

There is no doubt that there exists valid reasons for restricting what
content the users have in their inventories, a themed grid, like the one
you mention or educational grids spring to mind immediately.

I would suggest you deny access to MyInventory based on the channel,
MyInventory will always identify itself as MyInventory, however since this
is an open source project, people who know a bit about coding can easily
spoof the channel name.

I knew from the outset that this project would stir some controversy since
most content providers still rely on the same pattern of distribution and
income as record labels did back in the zero'es. MyInventory was developed
with this unworkable business model in mind. A quick search will reveal
that there is an abundance of very sophisticated tools available for
ripping assets from SL, I doubt that a backup tool will change the overall
problem in any significant way.

Although IANAL, it seems clear to me that the general rule will be that
users have a right to backup and use their licensed assets in any means
that suits them, as long as they do not violate the copyrights. So in
short, this project grants the legitimate users access to a tool that will
help them in daily frustrations, and the "blackhatters" and rip-artists
already have all the tools they need.

Second, this tool isn't really intended for Linden Lab's grids, although
due to similarities of the protocols it can be used on their grids. There
is a lot of content floating around in .iar files and general downloads,
which cannot be used by ordinary users, simply because you need to run a
grid or a simulator to be able to use this content.