[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Mike Chase mike.chase at alternatemetaverse.com
Fri Nov 16 14:22:16 UTC 2012

From: opensim-users-bounces at lists.berlios.de
[mailto:opensim-users-bounces at lists.berlios.de] On Behalf Of Snowcrash Short
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 8:48 AM
To: opensim-users at lists.berlios.de
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory),
mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

I think that giving a everybody a feel for what the tool is really about,
prior to going open source is an excellent idea.

I think this would be beneficial for all. The community could help identify
issues before they were "let loose in the wild", as I have said repeatedly,
MyInventory is not intended to be a tool for ripping assets, on the other
hand I am of the firm conviction that the end-user has far too little
control of his or her own inventory, and that access to content is one of
two major obstacles preventing users from adopting opensim on a wider scale.

best regards

Snowcrash

I don't expect to change your mind on this but I really don't understand the
"I am of the firm conviction that the end-user has far too little control of
his or her own inventory" comment. If I have an item in inventory I have all
the rights that are needed to be conveyed.  It gives me the "right" to use
the item on the grid where the inventory resides.  I am beholden to the grid
operator for backup and maintenance of that item so it remains useable but
again that's effectively the contract I enter into when I access a grid.
So no users rights are violated here at all.  If you imply that you have the
right to move it off the grid I'd assert that *may* be true but if so it's
because you have a separate license that allows that (and presumably
received the content via an external mechanism).

I have to admit, one aspect of all this does make me smile a bit.  You can
make many of the same arguments made against SnowCrash's application about
HyperGrid itself.  I argued unsuccessfully obviously when it was introduced
that it didn't belong in core, was a research project, and that the security
and IP issues weren't sufficiently thought through.  That didn't stop it and
so, IMO,  we have the perception that OpenSim is unfriendly to content
creators.  It's the reason I will never place my content on anything but a
walled garden grid and specifically those that have considered the
maintenance and security ramifications of running one.   And that includes
content I choose to distribute for free.

This problem, whether in the form of a copying tool or HyperGrid itself,
will continue to persist until the community at large solves the problem of
cross grid IP rights.  And the current basic permissions system we have
today is just simply not adequate (it's barely adequate for a standalone
grid, let alone anything beyond that).  Frankly OpenSim is barely adequate
for a standalone grid.  So again, trying to build large scale distributed
systems with it falls squarely in the "research" category.  Interesting work
but not yet what I would call the stable basis for someone using it for a
product,

Mike