[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Snowcrash Short snowcrash.short at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 15:59:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Mike Chase <
mike.chase at alternatemetaverse.com> wrote:

> [...]
In a single grid world, like the one LL to a large extent has your comment
is perfectly valid, even to me :-) But in open sim you have a proliferation
of grids showing up and some of them dissapear again, and suddenly the hunt
for interesting content in the inventory moves from being a fun exercise to
a frustration.

Only by dealing with how assets and inventory content are being distributed
does opensim has a chance to move forward (it will still need improved
search capabilities as well, the web didn't work all that well until alta
vista and yahoo started to show up either).

I could have opted to tackle the search problem, there's probably a lot
more money in that anyways, but I opted to take a look at the inventory.

In my mind there really isn't any difference between me "purchasing" a
record online or "purchasing" a set of animations for my AO. The reason if
have quoted the purchasing is that I neither case do I purchase the actual
item, what I purchase is the right to use this item for private use.

I my country at least, private use means I can do with it what I want,
reformat, convert, destroy, transfer to other media, what ever I want, as
long as I do that for private use, and I do not try to bypass any secret
encryption schemes (note the word "secret", if the secret is out, I can
decrypt it to my hearts extent.)

As this debate clearly shows, different countries have different rules and
expectations. One way or another the issue needs to be addressed. I have
chosen the open source approach, both in terms of actual release mechanism
but also in spirit by focusing on delivering code. My solution is far from
perfect, but it does provide a starting ground.

I have to admit, one aspect of all this does make me smile a bit.  You can
> make many of the same arguments made against SnowCrash’s application about
> HyperGrid itself.  I argued unsuccessfully obviously when it was introduced
> that it didn’t belong in core, was a research project, and that the
> security and IP issues weren’t sufficiently thought through.

I don't think you can think this through all the way, the legal
complexities are simply too vast, and success criteria are too different
between the interested parties. The only thing that sensibly can be done is
release code and see where and when the battle ends. The Record industrys
struggles in the zero'es is a very good example of the back and forth
between user rights and publisher rights.

> That didn’t stop it and so, IMO,  we have the perception that OpenSim is
> unfriendly to content creators.  It’s the reason I will never place my
> content on anything but a walled garden grid and specifically those that
> have considered the maintenance and security ramifications of running one.
>  And that includes content I choose to distribute for free.****
>
> **

Exemplar sales is a difficult business model to uphold, regardless if you
sell overprices sneakers, music records or content to grid users.
Subscription services has been demonstrated to be a way forward, both for
the movie industry and the record industry, I am convinced that a business
model based on subscription services will prove advantageous for all
parties.

**

> This problem, whether in the form of a copying tool or HyperGrid itself,
> will continue to persist until the community at large solves the problem of
> cross grid IP rights.  And the current basic permissions system we have
> today is just simply not adequate (it’s barely adequate for a standalone
> grid, let alone anything beyond that).  Frankly OpenSim is barely adequate
> for a standalone grid.  So again, trying to build large scale distributed
> systems with it falls squarely in the “research” category.  Interesting
> work but not yet what I would call the stable basis for someone using it
> for a product,****
>
> **

I disagree, going large scale distributed is the way forward. Hypergrid is
a very good first beginning, it does have it's flaws, but there is does
provide a good beginning for moving forward. I agree there are situations
where a "walled garden" makes sense, just like family or corporate
intranets can make sense, but the real advances happen on the real
internet.

**