[Opensim-users] Slow to react touch to start scripts

InuYasha Meiji inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 08:31:26 UTC 2012

Sorry for the second replay.  Forgot to update my tag lines at the
bottom.  I set this up this way in 7.3.1, and it ran fine.  Plus, I am
saving money for a monster machine.  I am one third of the way there.  I
want a duel CPU AMD 3+ Bulldozer set up.  Each CPU with 16 cores.  This
will total 32 cores and 192 GB of ram running on Windows 7 64bit
Ultimate. and a half a terabyte SSD Sata III,  The mobo runs all this
with hyperthreading.  But for now, I am running this old thing listed at
the bottom of my emails.

Even on this old computer no change since 7.3.1 it wasn't horrible.  I
am set up using Robust in grid mode now.  Not connected to other grid,
this is the grid.  My regions are split into 8 other directories running
about 8 or less regions of opensim each.  I say 8 or less because most
run 8, but in the middle I have one two region mega region in the
center.  I plan to build Okinawa's Shuri Castle and didn't want people
falling into a region border while crossing the courtyard.

I may have to take that out, because it seems I do have issues walking
from a normal sim to the megaregion at times.  But the rest of my 56
regions seems to do fine for now. I can build very well and get the
objects done, and take them into inventory now and again until I get my
monster system and can put it all out at once and more permanently placed.

At the moment I have landscaping, and a small growing Ryukyu Kingdom
late 17th century village.  This was all working in 7.3.1, I upgraded
and suddenly,  my doors went wonky.  In SL and 7.3.1 the same script
would move the doors, while the sound set off at the same moment.  The
sound file is short and sounds like a sort of large wooden sliding barn
door.  The inside has thin washi paper doors, and a sound from a sliding
paper door I had.  Those doors also timed correctly in SL and 7.3.1 of
Opensim.

After the upgrade, and copying the info from the 7.3.1 and typing it in
by hand, clicking the door, results in, the sound starting imidiately,
then my AV has time to stop showing a beam from the hand, and puts his
arm at his side, wait a bit more then the door using the lsl while to
slide the door starts and slides to where it should go.  It seems the
reaction time varies.  And the door don't slide smooth like it used to.
It was and is, supposed to use the WHILE to use a counter to slide the
door, nice and smooth, but it seems to move a bit, pause a couple of
random times and spaces while sliding, and eventually move into place.

This is the entire problem.  I dicovered that since the sound starts
nearly at clicking that is must not be the click event that is slow.
Because the sound does start on clicking.  Only the door no longer
starts slidinging for what is nearly 2 seconds after hearing the sound.
At least it seems that long.  Like I said, I might have missed something
someplace.  I am legally blind with only one eye with a retina
detachment in the one good eye.  I definatly could have.  But where to
look for something like that? All my other scripts seem to be ok.
Korean black conon fires, paper lantern with menu lights and extinguish,
and ower user controls, are all working.  But the lights don't have a
sound associated with them.

Sorry this mesage was so long, but I guess I wanted to clean up any
confusion.
Thanks so much for your time and interest.

InuYasha.

On 11/16/2012 12:39 AM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> [...]
> would be to try is seeing if reducing the number of regions (hence
> reducing other script load, etc.) makes a difference.
>
> On 15/11/12 12:40, Fleep Tuque wrote:
>> Hi InuYasha,
>>
>> There was a long thread on the listserv recently about other reports
>> of similar behavior in 0.7.4, which I believe is
>> being investigated.  If you didn't see that thread, it might have
>> more information that would be helpful for you.
>>
>> http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/A-bit-confused-td7578881.html
>>
>> I continue to use 0.7.4 on both grids with no symptoms like this, as
>> far as I can tell.  I even did some fairly extended
>> building over the weekend and touch events, content loading, etc all
>> seemed pretty snappy.  Both grids are running on
>> Windows (XP and Server 2008), not sure if that makes any difference.
>>

>> - Chris/Fleep
>>

>> Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
>> Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
>> UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
>> University of Cincinnati
>> 406A Zimmer Hall
>> 315 College Drive
>> PO BOX 210088
>> Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
>> chris.collins at uc.edu <mailto:chris.collins at uc.edu>
>> (513) 556-3018
>>
>> http://ucsim.uc.edu
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM, InuYasha Meiji
>> <inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com <mailto:inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Making sure it isn't only me, noticing, after upgrading from
>> Opensim 7.3.1 to Opensim 7.4 my touch to run scripts
>>     slowing down. Specifically sliding doors that used to react when
>> clicked to start sliding.  Now, my Avatar appears
>>     to raise a hand to click the door, the particle beam starts, then
>> stops, and with enough time to move my arm back
>>     down, a total of two seconds and then the door finally moves.  It
>> was almost instant in version 7.3.1.
>>
>>     Could I have made a bad setting to slow it down to start the
>> click event to start sliding so late, or is this
>>     something other people see in their touch to start scripts. My
>> sliding door sound used to start and seemed to be
>>     perfectly timed so the door would slide at the same time as the
>> door would move.  Now I hear the sound many seconds
>>     before the door moves and finishes way before the door stops
>> moving because it started so late.
>>
>>     Anything I can do?  Or should I start a mantis?  I used the same
>> script in SL, and in 7.3.1 that acted the same, but
>>     not anymore.
>>
>>     Thanks for any time on this, you friend and big fan, InuYasha.
>>
>>     --
>>     Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.4 with 56 Regions
>>     on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
>>     Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
>>     and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
>>     Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Opensim User: Gridmode on Version 0.7.4 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 users allowed Now).