[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

InuYasha Meiji inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 16:38:49 UTC 2012

I just wanted to add my two cents to yours to say I agree. It is why
once I get enough built onto my grid that I accept others as users and
want to know those I add. I will not allow strangers to add themselves.
I may add a guest account for those to try with limited power. I am not
connecting to Hypergrid, Only a few will be allowed build privileges.

My grid is for role players, and students of Asian Ryukyu History. Can
be considered educational, and I hope to hold Events of the time period
and more. I have bought a few skin creator kits PSDs on Market place in
SL, but I asked permission of the creators, telling them exactly what I
am doing. They gave me expressed permission to use the skins I create
with their kit as long as I never give the kit. There are some very
friendly people who create in Secondlife as long as you show some
respect for their talent.

I don't want anything to ruin the trust they gave me to use some objects
they made on my grid by having software like this it will be harder to
convice the use of many other objects and items they would otherwise
trust me to use.

InuYasha.

On 11/15/2012 10:23 AM, Mike Chase wrote:

> Actually, as the creator of an item I own it. Not the “user”. That’s
> clear because I get to set the permissions under which the next
> “owner” or licensee can use it. When someone acquires an digital asset
> I created they get a license to use it. The value of the creation
> itself usually far exceeds what someone pays for it. I only create in
> grids I trust because the grid operator must defend my rights via a
> DMCA process. So no a “user” doesn’t have rights to copy items in
> inventory they “own”. Because ownership of digital assets doesn’t
> transfer. Only a license to use them for a purpose.
>
> So in short I think some of your thinking about users “rights” is
> somewhat flawed. That doesn’t meant there aren’t protocols to do what
> you want to do. But yeah, I think providing such a tool is asking to
> get sued. And it probably damages the reputation of OpenSim as serious
> software for serving digital assets. That’s a shame because there are
> a number of closed grids trying to actually correct that assumption by
> providing a more secure environment for content creators to operate in.
>
> Just my 2 cents. Do what you will with it
>
> Mike

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.4 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).