[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

Mike Chase mike.chase at alternatemetaverse.com
Thu Nov 15 15:23:14 UTC 2012

Actually,  as the creator of an item I own it.  Not the "user".  That's
clear  because I get to set the permissions under which the next "owner" or
licensee can use it.  When someone acquires an digital asset I created they
get a license to use it.  The value of the creation itself usually far
exceeds what someone pays for it.   I only create in grids I trust because
the grid operator must defend my rights via a DMCA process.  So no a "user"
doesn't have rights to copy items in inventory they "own".  Because
ownership of digital assets doesn't transfer.  Only a license to use them
for a purpose.

So in short I think some of your thinking about users "rights" is somewhat
flawed.  That doesn't meant there aren't protocols to do what you want to
do.   But yeah, I think providing such a tool is asking to get sued. And it
probably damages the reputation of OpenSim as serious software for serving
digital assets.  That's a shame because there are a number of closed grids
trying to actually correct that assumption by providing a more secure
environment for content creators to operate in.

Just my 2 cents.  Do what you will with it

Mike